Thai SEAL Dies

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Thai SEAL Dies

Postby conjurer » July 7th 2018, 9:09am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ave-rescue

Nobody--seriously, nobody--had balls of brass like this guy. RIP.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Thai SEAL Dies

Postby Hawk » July 7th 2018, 12:35pm

Yup. I tend to fixate over female Thai Rangers that deployed to the southern border but this guy deserves the royal send off he's about to get.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 7th 2018, 6:19pm

A true hero. No greater love than to lay down your life for another.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » July 7th 2018, 6:27pm

Well said BL
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 10th 2018, 9:17am

I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » July 10th 2018, 12:40pm

What an incredible rescue. Navy seals, drilling and pumping experts- they even had a SEAL physician in there looking after those boys.

Cool to see a happy ending play itself out in a deal like this.

Maybe the govt will put some gates up at the entrances to keep people out during rainy season.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » July 10th 2018, 5:56pm

My wife has been following this story for days. This will make a heckuva movie.
artman
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 10th 2018, 11:30pm

Left Musk looking about as useful as tits on a bull.

At least he was trying though!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » July 11th 2018, 7:48am

bedlam wrote:Left Musk looking about as useful as tits on a bull.

At least he was trying though!

Yup. Elon Musk - half Tom Swift, half Wile E. Coyote.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby relaxer7 » July 11th 2018, 7:58am

Incredible non of those kids died during the rescue - the poor little gits couldn't even swim never mind dive
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2018, 8:17am

And in another selfless act -

The doctor who chose to stay in the cave

It was his rare combination of talents that led Australian doctor Richard Harris deep into the Tham Luang cave in Thailand.

When the Wild Boars football team was located deep inside the cave, after being missing for a week, the Adelaide anaesthetist abandoned his holiday in Thailand and volunteered to help.

He went in to assess the boys' health and stayed with them for three days.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the ... ocid=ientp

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby relaxer7 » July 13th 2018, 6:50am

Though this might be of interest... from the USAF officer, who spoke to The Washington Post with permission from his superiors on the condition that he not be identified:

...Air tanks were stashed along the muddy passageways, enough for the 12 boys, their coach, the four SEALs who had embedded with them, and the 18 divers who would carry them out. Riggers strung a web of static ropes for hoisting the cocoon-like stretchers over vast fields of jagged rocks.

By 10:30 a.m. on July 8, the core team of 18 divers was in the water: Among them, Brits, Thai SEALs and diving buddies from the Gulf of Thailand beach resort of Koh Tao.

One group made their way to the final chamber. By the time they emerged, the players and Coach Ek, as Ekapol was known, had elected the boy who would go first. Officials have refused to identify him, but friends and parents said he was Mongkon Boonpiem, a 13-year old with a lucky name: “the auspicious one.”

The wetsuit, the smallest they had, still did not cling to his emaciated frame like it should. They readied the mask, attached to a tank filled with 80-percent oxygen. The rich mixture would saturate his tissues, making him easier to revive if he stopped breathing.

Richard Harris, an Australian anesthesiologist and cave diver, gave the boy a final assessment. The boy was given what Thai and American participants described variously as a muscle relaxant or anti-anxiety medication. A panic attack in a chokepoint no bigger than a manhole would almost certainly be fatal.

Finally, the boy was swaddled in a flexible plastic stretcher — akin to a tortilla wrap, Hodges said — to confine his limbs and protect him from the cheese-grater walls. And then, with his teammates watching, they pulled him under the murky water.

The original plan had called for two divers — one in front of the stretcher, one behind. But that configuration was scrapped as too bulky for the shoulder-width passages and elbow turns.

“Having that second person provided you nothing,” the U.S. Air Force officer said.

Instead, a diver kept the swaddled boy in a body-to-body clinch for as much of the swim as possible, the officer said, handing the boy over to a fresh diver after his designated stretch. Keeping the child warm was critical.

“Even then the divers would get cold,” the Air Force officer said. “That is a lot of time in the water and water is constantly running in there because of the flow so that pulls that body heat away even if you have a wet suit.”

The worst portion of the swim was the last one, a deep tubular swoop that held the water like a sink trap. All told, it was a grueling two-hour trek through muck-filled passages.

“It is crawling through mud and underwater tunnels, and you can’t see your hands,” said Erik Brown, a Canadian diver who was among the 18.

But it was the end of the deadliest part.

“Fish on!”

The divers lifted the boy, and the crew at the edge of the water pulled him out. Their dry, final passage out was lined with more than a hundred rescuers. One of them, the U.S. Air Force officer, put his ear to the boy’s mask.

He was breathing. And now, the rescuers could, too.

“It was a huge weight off our shoulders,” the officer said.

'It was a little dicey'...
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else