New-kind of.

New-kind of.

Postby foghorn » May 16th 2018, 8:39am

Some call it a Super Monster,some say Gen. 3 Monster, but whatever it is, it's a lot different from the first monsters.

The Seiko Monster has been around the better part of 2 decades and I owned both a black and orange version back in the early days. ( Most WIS probably had at least one ) This was back when a watch in the 42 mm area was , indeed , a monster. I enjoyed mine for awhile but then got real tired of that ever present (at the time) damn 7s26/36 shake and bake, no hacking, inaccurate yet in every freaking Seiko diver in the world. If you wanted an affordable Seiko automatic diver you were pretty much given the option of one movement, and that was the 7S (for shit) movement. Yeah I know that they are "bullet proof" (probably not really) and iconic in an Ed Wood sort of way but I ended up dumping every watch I had with that shake and bake, non hacking,inaccurate everpresent in every freaking Seiko diver in the world movement. Buh-bye Orange Knight, 173, White Samurai. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
The next generation offered a bit of a movement upgrade and gave the watch hacking/handwinding but the dial looked like some toothy sea creature ready to bite you in the taint or maybe worse.

This one here still has a reasonable size of 42.3 mm. Thanks to Seiko for not making it 44 mm like every other watch they manufacture these days. The dial is back closer to the Gen. 1 monsters and they finally put a (IMO) decent movement- the 6r15 in it. The crown is now gnurled (best word ever) and a cyclops has been added, which I don't mind but others don't see eye to eye with me on that subject. The dial on this one is a dark blue that looks black half the time. Bracelet still has the agida producing pins and collars that I take to the Moroccan guy at the mall rather than risk an early death. I like it. It's almost got a vintage feel these have been around for so long.
It costs a lot more than previous iterations but history has shown that Seiko fanbois have no qualms about paying top dollar for discoed items, which this will surely be within a year. But this is probably a keeper. I've been waiting 16 years for it.

The blackish look

The blue hue

Still has the monster lume

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: New-kind of.

Postby labman » May 16th 2018, 8:53am

Nice - but you didn't wait for the PADI version. ;)
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 16th 2018, 8:55am

labman wrote:Nice - but you didn't wait for the PADI version. ;)

foghorn

Postby MAX » May 16th 2018, 9:57am

I like it!!!

Had both the original orange and original black but never warmed up to them probably because of the movement as you described . 2nd gen dials sucked. This one is nicer.

I did like the original bracelet though. Is this one the same? Pins and collars never bothered me but I developed a methodology for them.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX

Postby Racer-X » May 16th 2018, 10:04am

I never cared for the way the lume looked green when not charged on the original. I see they’ve cured that here along with bringing back the squared-off markers vs the shark teeth on the V2.

Along with the movement, I agree this is the best version of the monster. Hard to believe what the V1 sell for these days when this is available.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2018, 11:11am

That's fucking nice, foggy! Once you go Monster, you know to flog your lobster!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Rusty » May 16th 2018, 11:17am

Yup, very nice pickup. I think Seiko finally got the Monster right. Congrats and enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby artman » May 16th 2018, 1:12pm

That's the most badass and classy monster ever. I like that a lot.
artman
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 19th 2018, 3:09pm

New shoos for this watch hear todays.

foghorn

Postby smellody » May 19th 2018, 4:32pm

I had an orange one back when I was younger (circa 2004). I wore it to Tijuana.

That's a nice one. Is it a Say-ko?
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 19th 2018, 4:49pm

42.3. Really!

That's one that's food for thought, while admiring your new watch from afar, noble rooster.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 19th 2018, 8:12pm

Thumbs up.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » May 20th 2018, 6:20am

I like Mr. foggy. Well done sir. I still have my Fire Monster, it gets very little wrist time as my likes go off in other directions.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » May 20th 2018, 6:34am

Nicest Monster yet.

I don't like the X on the dial (but then again I didn't like "SEIKO" on the dial of the Grand SEIKOS either)....... but what do I know.

If it wasn't for owning a Gen-1, I would be purchasing one of these too.
codguy
ASSHAT

Return to Your New Watch