Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Dedicated to Dive watches

Re: Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby TemerityB » May 10th 2018, 6:55pm

Mark1 wrote:If a dozen people-on three different continents (none of whom had ever heard of you a few hours earlier) think you're an ass, they are probably right, or is it rite?

:lol:

It's "rite," all right! Too good.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 6:55pm

TemerityB wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:You won't, you don't get to drink on your ride to the Pine Barrens. We the Lords get to drink, once we get back from the Barrens.

This is a special night. My best suit is about to get ruined, but it's only money. After all - our fat, hairy wrists remain quite strong.

This is how I envision the night to go: corrected it you fucking cunts

https://youtu.be/8Bm0RIs-VJU
Last edited by Stephenmazinger on May 10th 2018, 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 10th 2018, 6:59pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:
TemerityB wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:You won't, you don't get to drink on your ride to the Pine Barrens. We the Lords get to drink, once we get back from the Barrens.

This is a special night. My best suit is about to get ruined, but it's only money. After all - our fat, hairy wrists remain quite strong.

This is how I invision the night to go:

https://youtu.be/8Bm0RIs-VJU

"Invision"! You can't make this shit up!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 6:59pm

I am actually amazed at how long we have kept this going. This has to count as a watchlords special event.

Should have charged admission and then donated to your amazing charity work.(which I have the highest respect for what you do for charity) No bullshit here, that is honestly commendable.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby TemerityB » May 10th 2018, 7:05pm

You know, I fear we've gotten much too serious here - let's take a moment and have a good laugh. As Shemp said, nothing does the heart so good as a hearty laugh! Whoever comes up with the exact amount of typos, style snafus, and grammatical FUBARs here wins every jelly bean in the jar! Be sure to scroll down for my sum-up at the end of this review!

Review: Stuckx The Funky Bull (sorry, I can't re-post the pics of the same watch in 24 different directions, but I'm a grown-up):

Ahhh the 70’s, vintage glory, that’s what the Stuckx Funky Bull is all about. Capturing that vintage flavor while committing to the diving goodness. The brushed stainless steel case shape is definitely unique and it’s hard not to notice that first. The case is thicker at the top and curves down thinner as it approaches the 6 o’clock position. This shape lets you get a nice angle/view of the dial when it’s on your wrist. I was actually very skeptical about the case shape until I strapped it to my wrist. I’ll talk more about that later though.

The bullhead shaped case is with the crown and pushers on top above the 12 o’clock position is very unique indeed. The screw down style crown operates pretty easily. The crown is unsigned which I believe is a detail that is a must have. 99.9% of the time a crown should be signed with something thoughtful. It could be as simple as the company logo, but something simple makes a big addition. It’s actually easier to operate the chronograph function with the stop watch style button layout. Another interesting tidbit about the case is there are only 2 external lugs which are located on the bottom of the case. The top of the case is where the strap under-mounts via lugless style. This definitley lends itself to the unique style and shape of the watch. It’s quite refreshing to see something different when it comes to a dive style watch.

The screw down case back is pretty plain. The only action going on back there is some small engraved info about the watch that is around the edges. I am a little disappointed with the lack of engraving on the actual case back itself. Solid case backs is an excellent place to showcase a nice ocean themed engraving or a company logo. Something here is always better than nothing.

The unque case shape and the killer unidirectional rotating bezel make up for this though. The polished ceramic inlay on the bezel is beautiful. The bezel only features an orange triangle at the 12 o’clock position. The bezel has virtually no extra play which is a bonus. That being said the bezel is hard to rotate because the rounded bezel edges. But what’s really cool about the bezel is the cut outs of the ceramic that actually line up where the indices on the dial are. You can’t really notice that the bezel has the cutouts by looking at it, but running your finger across it makes the difference. That’s how I discovered it actually. That’s why I like spending a good amount of time with watches I review, it gives me the chance to discover all the unique details that make the watch great or in some cases not so great.

Looking through the flat sapphire crystal you will see a funky dial that’s packed with that vintage dive watch charm. The bronze/orange dial dances when it hits the light going from an lighter shade of orange to a deep brown/bronze color. It’s one of my favorite little charming details on the watch. Something you will also notice on the dial are the 3 sundials the sub dial at the 6 o’clock position is a little harder to notice though. The sub dial at 9 indicates chrono minutes, sub dial at 3 indicates seconds and finally the sub dial at 6 indicates chrono hours. The sub dials at 3 & 9 are inset and feature some really nice subtle texturing which adds to the depth of this dial.

The applied indices are have polished edges that really enjoy catching the light. The center of the applied indices are black. The applied markers and the hands have some lume coated on them. The glow when charged is pretty faint though, but the orange triangle on the bezel glows a cool shade of yellow. The shape of the hands are a great throwback to the vintage dive watches of the seventies. Thin,polished, long and square. The hands are absolutely beautiful. Even the hands on the sub dials are well done as well, especially the sub dial at 9 which features a red tip.

The black inner chapter ring features a tachymeter measurement tool which comes in handy. To use the tachymeter to measure distance take note of your traveling speed. Start at the zero seconds and when the tachymeter reaches the speed that you are traveling that will be your end spot. So if you marked your traveling speed at 50 mph and the tachymeter reading reaches 50 then you have traveled 1 mile. Every time the the tachymeter reaches the 50 after its another mile traveled.

The movement Stuckx opted for in this watch is the VK series Seiko/TMI movement. Which is considered a hybrid meca quartz movement and has a battery life is of 3 years. The fly back feature on this movement is pretty precise. By pressing the pusher on the left of the crown starts/stops the Chrono hand and the pusher on the right flies it back to start in a blink of an eye. I am one of those people who actually use the chronograph function on my watches, especially at work where I have to time to the exact second. The Funky Bull came in quite handy during my reviewing process.

The nice and soft black leather strap looks like the perfect match for this watch. I love have soft it is to the touch and how is wraps around the wrist with no raised buckling from strap stiffness. The brushed tang style buckle is signed with Stuckx. Simple but gets the job done. The unque shape of this case teamed with the super soft strap really allows the Funky to sit great on the wrist. I love how the watch angles itself towards you by being raised higher on the top of the case and gradually slimming down to the bottom. The Funky Bull is so comfortable on you will forget it’s there from a comfort perspective.

The Funky Bull is a refreshing take on a dive watch but using that vintage charm of the dive watches from the 1970’s. The case shape is so unique and doesn’t really shine to its potential until it’s strapped on your wrist, that’s when the real magic happens. It looks so damn cool when it’s on that its hard not to contort your wrist in all angles/directions to see how it looks each way. The dial is another highlight of this watch. The color is so raw and beautiful. It’s an earthy rust color that never gets old especially when it hits certain lights. I also like the applied indices and the applied Stuckx logo on the dial. There is a ton of depth on this dial.

The Funky Bull does have a few areas for improvement though. From a personal preference nit-picky perspective the crown and caseback should feature some nice engraving, I’d even be happy with both featuring the Stuckx logo. From a functional perspective the room for improvement is the lume and the bezel edges. Brighter lume is a must have in today’s market, especially on a dive style watch. Bezel operation is also important on a dive style watch, and there is no way with diving gloves on that you would be able to rotate this bezel.

The refreshing Funky Bull is a very nice and affordable offering from Stuckx. It’s packed full of vintage charm details. I would definitley recommend the Funky Bull to someone looking for an affordable dive style watch that is a very nice break from the same old same old. It’s a watch that has strong wrist presence that is surely noticible by watch enthusists and by “Joe Public”

I want to personally thank Stephan and Stuckx for this honor and opportunity. And for putting up with my persistence😉

Thank you all for reading. I’ll be back soon.

As Truman Capote said: "That's not writing - that's word processing."
Last edited by TemerityB on May 10th 2018, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 7:05pm

I am leaving this on a good note about your charity. 4am comes way to fast. Wishing you all well despite our banter.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 10th 2018, 7:08pm

Now look here, Bazinga; this is your Kindly Uncle Conjurer speaking typing here.

OK, so you got pissed off when you saw us dissing your blog; well, we did it here, in our house. Nobody came to your blog to break bad. You should be happy that you got a few more clickthroughs, or whateverthe fuck they're called. Then you come here to bloody a few noses, OK, we can deal with that.

What we can't deal with is the disrespect, you savvy? Nobody comes to the Watchlords and acts like a douchebag and not expect to have their asses handed to 'em. It ain't gonna happen. Now, you want to rite you're Blog, go right ahead. It don't matter nothing to me. You want to come here and act like a fucking adult, you got some shit you want to share, well and good. New members are always good, assuming they know what's what. But you come in here, windmilling like a fucking nut, you're gonna get fucked up.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 10th 2018, 7:15pm

conjurer wrote:Now look here, Bazinga; this is your Kindly Uncle Conjurer speaking typing here.

OK, so you got pissed off when you saw us dissing your blog; well, we did it here, in our house. Nobody came to your blog to break bad. You should be happy that you got a few more clickthroughs, or whateverthe fuck they're called. Then you come here to bloody a few noses, OK, we can deal with that.

What we can't deal with is the disrespect, you savvy? Nobody comes to the Watchlords and acts like a douchebag and not expect to have their asses handed to 'em. It ain't gonna happen. Now, you want to rite you're Blog, go right ahead. It don't matter nothing to me. You want to come here and act like a fucking adult, you got some shit you want to share, well and good. New members are always good, assuming they know what's what. But you come in here, windmilling like a fucking nut, you're gonna get fucked up.

Rough day I guess and this was my venting and release. I don’t care that you guys rip apart my grammar/writing whatever. You all are welcome to your opinions, but I am going to defend what I believe in, just as all of you defend this forum. I will start here officially tomorrow with a new point of view. Sharing only pictures.

One piece of advice, you should update the forum to accept larger format pictures.

I reach out my hand to friendship. Those willing to shake my hand, I gladly accept.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby bedlam » May 10th 2018, 7:19pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:Rough day I guess and this was my venting and release. I don’t care that you guys rip apart my grammar/writing whatever. You all are welcome to your opinions, but I am going to defend what I believe in, just as all of you defend this forum. I will start here officially tomorrow with a new point of view. Sharing only pictures.

One piece of advice, you should update the forum to accept larger format pictures.

I reach out my hand to friendship. Those willing to shake my hand, I gladly accept.

Outstanding.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby JAS1125 » May 10th 2018, 7:45pm

bedlam wrote:
Stephenmazinger wrote:Rough day I guess and this was my venting and release. I don’t care that you guys rip apart my grammar/writing whatever. You all are welcome to your opinions, but I am going to defend what I believe in, just as all of you defend this forum. I will start here officially tomorrow with a new point of view. Sharing only pictures.

Outstanding.

Yup!
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » May 10th 2018, 8:18pm

YAWN
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby artman » May 10th 2018, 8:24pm

Did anyone even care to mention that the Fonderia watch that started this thread sucks ass?? Dayam that thing is ugly.
artman
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 10th 2018, 11:29pm

artman wrote:Did anyone even care to mention that the Fonderia watch that started this thread sucks ass?? Dayam that thing is ugly.

It really is the chocolate starfish of watches :5wrew:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby bobbee » May 10th 2018, 11:42pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:The photography I have seen here is amazing. Hairy, fat wrist shots, with such clever and original liked brands, Sinn, Rolex, Omega wow, just wow. You guys have every right to judge me and my pictures. I could never capture arm hair like you guys do. And shit, some of those pimple and mole shots are fucking groundbreaking. Such creativity, such originality. I am truly amazed. I am not worthy of being amongst such creative genuis.

Now that's funny!
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 11th 2018, 1:57am

Some thoughts on the watch;

Its too high. Ever tried to squeeze your arm between the cylinder and stage bottle when diving sidemount? No, I bet you haven't and neither has the rube who designed this thing. Too bad if you need to release or re-position a bottle quickly.

The lug-to-lug to too long. The NATO pictured is a good choice for diving...except the watch is too big for it.

The crystal sitting proud of the bezel is a no.

How heavy is it? 300oz? For what purpose?? This watch joins the Eco-Zila in my too-stupidly-big-to-ever-be-considered-for-diving watch category.

So; I can't track elapsed time as it has no bezel, its too big to be functional, it looks really bad. And they sealed the deal with a California dial. Where do I put all my puke?

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby nimbleboy » May 11th 2018, 11:20am

Well, that was one hell of a read during my lunch break...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 11th 2018, 11:52am

bedlam wrote:Some thoughts on the watch;
Where do I put all my puke?

By now, you should have Found the Navel of Gandalf..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » June 12th 2018, 4:59pm

NorthCountry wrote:This new guy is like that one guest at a party that no one knows and proceeds to clog the toilet. You came in heavy and now you don't like it? GTFOOH!

I spot everywhere when I read this. Damn, I needed that laugh.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to Dive Watches