bdwf?

Other forum links and links to many blogs and magazines

bdwf?

Postby svaglic » November 23rd 2015, 9:01am

I can't get on bdwf, is it down again or is the problem on my end?
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: bdwf?

Postby conjurer » November 23rd 2015, 9:38am

Nope, it's not just you. Mort alerted me yesterday, too. I've sent out some emails to the other admins there to see what's what. I'll report back when I find out anything.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » November 23rd 2015, 11:14am

What is a bdwf?

jking

Mrs. Pacerguy is gonna smell like a catcher's mitt after December 25 - TemerityB
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » November 23rd 2015, 11:17am

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

And BDWF members are welcome here at any time.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » November 23rd 2015, 12:47pm

I've been in touch with John and Doug and they're working on the issue. Thanks for the invite, Alain!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » November 23rd 2015, 4:42pm

I signed up a yr ago but never posted except I believe an intro.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby JAS1125 » November 23rd 2015, 6:06pm

From what I understand, the server may be trashed....more info to come as it develops.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » November 23rd 2015, 9:15pm

JAS1125 wrote:From what I understand, the server may be trashed....more info to come as it develops.

Why isn't the forum on a hosted VPS? (Virtual private server) as we are here. Hopefully there is a recent full backup.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » November 23rd 2015, 9:26pm

koimaster wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:From what I understand, the server may be trashed....more info to come as it develops.

Don't have an answer......Mike inherited it when he took over. Backup was done a week ago, but I don't know the workings for a full restore

Why isn't the forum on a hosted VPS? (Virtual private server) as we are here. Hopefully there is a recent full backup.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » November 23rd 2015, 10:20pm

If you have a way to let people know about watchforums.net we can help fill a void.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 23rd 2015, 11:09pm

A big shoutout to Alain, WLs (and Watchforums as well). When there are issues with other fora, Alain is always the first to reach out to displaced WISs and offer sanctuary (or just a flop). I know of no other forum that does this; most would simply laugh up their sleeves like supercilious jagoffs at others plight. Well done indeed!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » November 23rd 2015, 11:43pm

svaglic wrote:

If you have a way to let people know about watchforums.net we can help fill a void.

I agree about watchforums.net. Many at bdwf might feel more comfortable there as it is more like bdwf.

Thanks John. It should always be about sharing and a helping hand.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » November 24th 2015, 4:19am

conjurer wrote:A big shoutout to Alain, WLs (and Watchforums as well). When there are issues with other fora, Alain is always the first to reach out to displaced WISs and offer sanctuary (or just a flop). I know of no other forum that does this; most would simply laugh up their sleeves like supercilious jagoffs at others plight. Well done indeed!

Agree 100%....unfortunately the membership e-mail list is hooked into the server as far as I know but I'll pass along the suggestions and see what can be done
Thanks everyone
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » November 24th 2015, 10:00am

If mike wants to take over watchforums.net and rebrand it as BDWF I would be good with that since I cannot find someone to moderate the place and run it. I do not have the time and I have not seen Mr.Neddles in quite awhile. The site is hosted on the same VPS I have for Wl. If he as a backup somewhere it can even be imported into that forum.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby svaglic » November 24th 2015, 10:52am

koimaster wrote:If mike wants to take over watchforums.net and rebrand it as BDWF I would be good with that since I cannot find someone to moderate the place and run it. I do not have the time and I have not seen Mr.Neddles in quite awhile. The site is hosted on the same VPS I have for Wl. If he as a backup somewhere it can even be imported into that forum.

That would work out well.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » November 24th 2015, 12:37pm

I'll pass that on.....agree that's a good idea....thanks Alain

koimaster wrote:If mike wants to take over watchforums.net and rebrand it as BDWF I would be good with that since I cannot find someone to moderate the place and run it. I do not have the time and I have not seen Mr.Neddles in quite awhile. The site is hosted on the same VPS I have for Wl. If he as a backup somewhere it can even be imported into that forum.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » November 27th 2015, 1:29pm

A brief update for the dual members and any general lurkers:

My understanding is that the server which houses BDWF was hacked, to the point that is is unusable. The database backup may be able to be retrieved, but that's all I know for now.

As more info comes in, I'll pass that along.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » November 28th 2015, 10:08am

I never understood hacking. All that talent to do something like that, only to use it for something stupid like this. What could anyone possibly gain out of destroying BDWF?
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » November 28th 2015, 11:58am

svaglic wrote:I never understood hacking. All that talent to do something like that, only to use it for something stupid like this. What could anyone possibly gain out of destroying BDWF?

Personal data is mined, malware introduced and a potential for spamming. This is why unless i know you or someone else here refers you, i verify new members.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » November 28th 2015, 4:37pm

With Alain and Mike working behind the scenes, stay tuned for more info here and on watchforums.net

We ain't done yet
:dev:
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » November 29th 2015, 5:26pm

When all that takes place, please let me know, so I can step down from being one of the moderators who post daily at watchforums.net.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » November 29th 2015, 10:25pm

I have spending time with the family which i missed doing last year due to illness. I will address messages and the like in a post tomorrow.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » November 30th 2015, 9:45am

Kahuna74 wrote:When all that takes place, please let me know, so I can step down from being one of the moderators who post daily at watchforums.net.

koimaster wrote:I have spending time with the family which i missed doing last year due to illness. I will address messages and the like in a post tomorrow.

My apologies if I spoke prematurely or out of turn. After expending a lot of time and energy at BDWF, I just want to see it continue in some form.
I'll defer to Koi for any additional updates.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » November 30th 2015, 10:17am

No need to defer to me.

I have been in contact with Mike, owner of BDWF and it appears that BDWF was hacked from what he was told by his server host. I have contacted that person and asked if there is a backup anywhere or if not, to send the hard drive to my office so we can try to recover the data using our military grade recovery software.

At best there will be a backup somewhere and I will contact Dion to see if he can import the BDWF data into the Watchforums site, rebrand it at BDWF and go from there. If that is the option taken, none of the data at watchforums.net will be lost. It can either be incorporated into BDWF or imported here. The other option is for Dion to build a new BDWF from the ground up, an expensive proposition at best.

I have upgraded the forum server as well. With just the two current places at times we come close to maxing the memory although bandwidth is stable. If BDWF is moved to this server(which is hosted) either as a new stand alone or imported into WF.net, usage will go up and the site might get sluggish.

The merging of both of those sites into one does have benefits though. It retains the members of both sites. The information at both sites (assuming there is a bdwf backup/recovery) will be preserved and there will be more members and more input from those members. In my opinion both forums due to time constraints by of life by ownership or mods has let the forums slow down a bit. There is no fault in that, it is just the way it is in life. I will do whatever I can to help BDWF get back on track. After all, according to some owners of a now defunct sales website, BDWF was the original "hater" site. After all haters have to help each other out.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby JAS1125 » November 30th 2015, 10:34am

koimaster wrote:After all, according to some owners of a now defunct sales website, BDWF was the original "hater" site. After all haters have to help each other out.

Well put :mrgreen:
Thanks Alain
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to Blogs, Watch Magazines & other sites