Who Manufactures Parnis Watches?

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

Who Manufactures Parnis Watches?

Postby koimaster » February 15th 2018, 4:35pm

Parnis is a watch brand sold primarily through e-commerce. Parnis offerings have acquired the attention of a number of media outlets including GQ (Charm on the Cheap), Esquire, YouTube (with search results exceeding 8000 unique videos uploaded), blogs, social media including Facebook, Google+, watch forums such as the watchuseek forum (WUS) and what Wikipedia calls a non-exhaustive list of major Photo-sharing sites.

Many writers on watch forums refer to Parnis as a maker of "homage watches". Homage meaning a watch that copies the original design of another watch company such as Rolex. I often say that if Parnis is strictly a homage watch company, then you have to extend the same label to Seiko and Citizen watches.

You might find it surprising that Parnis' success has resulted from word-of-mouth. Parnis does not advertise. Watch enthusiasts give Parnis plenty of social media attention.

Those outlets and some fairly informed observers have speculated wildly about the company's structure, operations and issues as to its viability as a going concern. In North America, I found few sources of empirical information about the company other than trademark registrations. I decided to do an investigation on my own and found help from contacts I made in the Chinese watch industry. Without their assistance, I doubt I would have found the company's showroom.

In this article, I'm going to report our team's findings about the company. We believe Parnis is viable for a small brand. We see little risk associated with owning their products. The company is owned by a moderately successful businessman in Guangzhou, China and his product is in contrast to the generally held opinion of Chinese watches.

http://www.asian-watches.com/2015/02/pa ... mpany.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Who Manufactures Parnis Watches?

Postby biglove » February 15th 2018, 5:34pm

Don’t know if there is a lick of truth in that article; but, it certainly sounds legit.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » February 15th 2018, 5:47pm

An answer I read years ago was 'anyone that wants to', as it's perceived as a generic brand with no trademark reinforcement.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » February 15th 2018, 9:23pm

https://parnis.org/pages/faq

They have an explanation. Whether it's convincing or not is an open question
PiningforElgin

Postby relaxer7 » February 16th 2018, 6:12am

I've had a two Rolex knockoff Parnis watches - both were well built and one of them kept decent time.
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » February 16th 2018, 7:02am

relaxer7 wrote:I've had a two Rolex knockoff Parnis watches - both were well built and one of them kept decent time.

I have their GMT Pepsi version and it's a pretty solid build all things considered.
The entire article was an interesting read
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » February 17th 2018, 12:37am

Tom Edelstein has done far more research on this than I have, and nothing he wrote in this article is opposed to any information I have.

I can't say for sure that Tom is 100% correct in his article, but unless or until I see better information, my working hypothesis is that Tom's description is accurate.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches