The Hanoi Watch Scene

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

The Hanoi Watch Scene

Postby koimaster » October 29th 2018, 9:54am

What does a true watchie (thank you for the neologism Richard Paige) do after arriving in a city for the first time? Goes looking for watches of course!

On the recommendation of Peter Speake-Marin I headed for Miluxe Boutique the destination watch retailer in Hanoi. There the genial proprietor, Mr Le Tu, treated me to a viewing of a watch from the Speake-Marin brand created for a Vietnamese customer. The dial design is based on decorations adorning a traditional Vietnamese ceremonial drum. I found a similar drum in The Temple of Literature a Hanoi landmark.

We talked for a while about the Vietnamese watch scene and something Mr Le Tu said reminded me of the watch scene in the US and Europe – different cities possess different tastes in watches.

Saigon is warm year round and people there don somewhat flashier clothes and like larger watches than the denizens of Hanoi, which always experiences a few chilly months per annum. The warm weather/flashier clothes/large watches versus cold weather/more conservative taste in clothes and watches exists in the US – think Miami and LA as opposed to New York and Boston. In Europe it’s London and Berlin on the cold weather conservative side with Rome and Barcelona on the hot weather flashier team.

After Miluxe I walked around the city looking for watchmakers – not the ones ensconced in climate controlled rooms servicing watches from famous brands but the ones bent over workbenches repairing any watch mechanical or quartz, wrist or pocket that enters their shop. Watchmakers of that breed exist in every Asian city I’ve ever visited so I thought they must exist in Hanoi. Yes, they do.

http://michaelclerizo.com/2018/03/08/hanoi-watch-scene/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Hanoi Watch Scene

Postby Hawk » October 29th 2018, 10:49am

2018 and he says "Saigon".

Kids these days.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » October 29th 2018, 11:07am

Hawk wrote:2018 and he says "Saigon".

Kids these days.

I say "Saigon"

I don't think he's a kid. Looks like an old fucker.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » October 29th 2018, 11:23am

foghorn wrote:

Kids these days.

I say "Saigon"

Hell, I never knew the name was changed!
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » October 29th 2018, 11:47am

foghorn wrote:

Kids these days.

I say "Saigon"

But we're to believe he says "Saigon" while he's in Vietnam. That's a bit of a faux pas but not a large one - it won't get you cut off at a bar f'rinstance. It suggests some confusion on his part like maybe he missed his exit and wound up in Singapore. UPS confuses Singapore with Saigon so why not? Baby Jesus thought Singapore was part of China so precedent exists. The flamboyance and large watches suggest Singapore more than HCM city. And he wouldn't be the first to find himself, say, in Cambodia nursing a wicked hangover and thinking he's in Burma or Ceylon or Siam. If he was hearing a call to prayer several times during the day he was possibly almost to Singapore but got a flat tire in Malaysia.

Lucky he wasn't in Africa - those names are even tougher to keep straight for my aged neurons.

I buy stuff from sumdood in HCM City. I've never tried substituting "Saigon" in the address but now you've got me curious where it would wind up. Nice stuff by the way but don't put the chopsticks in the dishwasher:

https://www.kimsoncraft.com/en/
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » October 29th 2018, 11:58am

JAS1125 wrote:Hell, I never knew the name was changed!

Well, it wouldn't be a problem. The average Yank's grasp of Asian geography and naming convention is the subject of good-natured ribbing. And vice-versa.

ASEAN is starting to remind me of the Eurozone - visa-free travel over most of the area. And when they change names existing institutions don't - like the Bank of Siam. I don't know if anybody in Myanmar knows the Burma Shave jingles though. I'd like a Thai passport if I don't die first but at my age and given the requirements it's a long shot.

And why are there so few Siamese cats in Thailand?

And why did my Thai wife think she needed her passport for a WL gathering in Longview Washington?
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » October 29th 2018, 1:25pm

Hawk wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:Hell, I never knew the name was changed!

Ho Chi Minh City ever since the South Vietnamese cut and ran in April of 1975.

And why are there so few Siamese cats in Thailand?

They are eaten! :mrgreen:

And why did my Thai wife think she needed her passport for a WL gathering in Longview Washington?

Before the trump era is over in 2 years it may well be a requirement.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » October 29th 2018, 8:07pm

I find this whole thread very Hanoi-ing!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 30th 2018, 10:25am

conjurer wrote:I find this whole thread very Hanoi-ing!

I concur. The article mentions the Old Quarter but he stops there merely mentioning the cold climate, the conservative clothing and the small watches. A sort of very understandable WIS tunnel vision. When the Old Quarter is mentioned one should acknowledge something other than cold conservatism.

...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to Asian and Far East Watches