Comparing the Best of Japanese Watchmaking

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

Comparing the Best of Japanese Watchmaking

Postby koimaster » February 8th 2018, 3:21pm

Comparing the Best of Japanese Watchmaking – Grand Seiko 8 Day and Credor Eichi II

The Grand Seiko 8 Day Power Reserve and Credor Eichi II are two strands of the same thread, products of Seiko’s Micro Artist Studio, a compact, two-room workshop in Seiko Epson’s factory in Shiojiri, a city in Nagano.

Set up in the year 2000 to make the finest watches conceivable, the Micro Artist Studio is made up of 10 craftsmen, including watchmakers and engineers, who produce between 30 to 40 watches a year. The workshop does produce more complicated watches – the namely Credor Minute Repeater and Credor Sonnerie – but the 8 Days and Eichi II are arguably its quintessential timepieces, being time-only watches that are all about fine, fine, finishing. After all, one of the inspirations behind the work at the Micro Artist Studio was Philippe Dufour and his Simplicity.

So the obvious question becomes which is better? Both the Eichi II and 8 Days are made in the same workshop by the same craftsmen, and both run on Seiko’s proprietary Spring Drive technology. Both are also platinum, and priced within 10% of each other. But they are very different watches.

The Eichi II is undoubtedly more familiar, having been in production longer. A successor to the landmark Eichi I – the first watch that demonstrated Japanese watchmaking’s equal standing with the Swiss – the second generation model was introduced in late 2014, and with about 25 made a year, there are around 75 in circulation. Consequently they pop up regularly on social media, being a critical hit amongst aficionados who understand such things.

It is perhaps careless to characterise a watch as a nationality, but the Eichi II feels, to an outsider, very Japanese. A modest 39mm in diameter, the Eichi II is clean, yet extraordinarily refined in its details and design. The aesthetics bring to mind a freshly raked garden, the tea ceremony, and rice paper screens. And appropriately, eichi, or 叡智, translates as “wisdom”.

http://watchesbysjx.com/2018/02/compari ... hi-ii.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Comparing the Best of Japanese Watchmaking

Postby biglove » February 8th 2018, 5:41pm

Both give me massive wood, the GS slightly more so.

The prices reduce said wood to a limp, wet twig. Dang!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » February 8th 2018, 6:07pm

biglove wrote:Both give me massive wood, the GS slightly more so.

The prices reduce said wood to a limp, wet twig. Dang!

The Credor does it for me..oh well, some day..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » February 9th 2018, 6:54am

$50,000 fer a Seiker??? Hot gee dayum, could get me 50 top kwality Invciters for that kinda dough! :mrgreen:
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » February 9th 2018, 7:19am

SaoGage wrote:$50,000 fer a Seiker??? Hot gee dayum, could get me 50 500 top kwality Invciters for that kinda dough! :mrgreen:

Fixed it fer you.
codguy
ASSHAT

Return to Asian and Far East Watches