Review: Wempe Chronometerwerke Tonneau

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

Review: Wempe Chronometerwerke Tonneau

Postby Racer-X » December 1st 2018, 4:40am

"The giant German retailer Wempe has a collection of watches under their Chronometerwerke line. Here we examine one of their earlier offerings, the Wempe Chronometerwerke Tonneau. A tonneau shaped watch with a form movement made for them exclusively by Nomos.

Interesting play with channel harmony when a retailer decides to up his game, and offer watches with his own name on the dial to compete against the maisons he carries. Such is the confidence of major German retailer Wempe, that their own line of watches – known as Chronometerwerke are offered alongside the likes of Patek Philippe, A. Lange & Söhne, Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin and a huge array of name brands.

...The watch we review here is the Wempe Chronometerwerke Tonneau. The watch is no longer seen on the Wempe catalog, but we are unsure if it is still available in Wempe stores. The review piece is the property of a Deployant Friend, Eddie Sng who reviewed this very piece on his blog here."

https://deployant.com/review-wempe-chronometerwerke-tonneau/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Review: Wempe Chronometerwerke Tonneau

Postby foghorn » December 1st 2018, 6:44am

That's a handsome watch.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 1st 2018, 1:25pm

Nice watch. Nice movement as well - nowadays, it isn’t exactly common to see a nice Formwerk.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » December 4th 2018, 11:54am

Feh
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 4th 2018, 12:26pm

I used to be intimidated just to walk into Wempe in NYC (champagne, man, champagne, hoity toity fixtures, "is there something you're interested in, sir") since it's mostly high-end stratospheric stuff ... and I then I saw someone buy a $400 Tissot. Now I go there all the time, even if I'm wearing jeans. Haven't seen that one, tho.
12/16/18, Evine: Justin Zimmer and Todd Newton describee a $399 Chinese Bolt Zeus as a "grail" and a "masterpiece." Taking Christmas money from dummies? It'll catch up to you, you desperate weasels. It always does - and quick.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to German Watches