Five Things You Might Not Know About Nomos Glashütte

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

Five Things You Might Not Know About Nomos Glashütte

Postby Racer-X » April 12th 2018, 6:40pm

by Logan R. Baker "It seems like every year I receive more and more questions from my non-horologically-inclined friends about Nomos Glashütte. It’s understandable. Over the past decade-plus, the German brand has made massive inroads in building a following in the United States. This is largely thanks to a highly-praised minimalist design palate, excellent marketing, accessible prices, and true in-house mechanical movements. Altogether, Nomos has found massive success in an arena that so many other brands are struggling with: How to appeal to a millennial and Gen Z audience without sacrificing horological prestige among longtime watch purists?

Today, Nomos is the largest producer of mechanical watches by volume in all of Germany and recently returned from Baselworld 2018 with the introduction of a new collection that continues with the same design panaché we’ve come to expect. While there are many widely known facts about the brand out there, such as it was founded two months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, there are still quite a few interesting details that not every watch enthusiast may know."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/nomos-glashuette-watches-information/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Five Things You Might Not Know About Nomos Glashütte

Postby conjurer » April 12th 2018, 7:05pm

It takes a real man to wear a Club Campus.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 12th 2018, 7:47pm

conjurer wrote:It takes a real man to wear a Club Campus.

As much as I admire Nomos, you hit the bull's eye. Wouldn't be caught dead.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » April 12th 2018, 9:18pm

TemerityB wrote:

Other than the odd mix of Arabic and Roman numerals on the dial, I am not aware of anything that makes that watch particularly hideous. Is there a weirder model that I don't know about or is that enough? Checking out the German forum at WUS, it's a brand that's growing on me.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » April 12th 2018, 10:35pm

Mark1 wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

Other than the odd mix of Arabic and Roman numerals on the dial, I am not aware of anything that makes that watch particularly hideous. Is there a weirder model that I don't know about or is that enough? Checking out the German forum at WUS, it's a brand that's growing on me.

I don't understand either, Mark; however, I never really got the whole Nomos thing, apart from the fact that they seem to be very high quality and some members here own and love 'em. The Club Campus showed up last year, and all the guys who really liked Nomos seemed to really hate it. Naturally, being the dick that I am, I've been breaking balls about it ever since. I actually like the California dial on this one.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » April 13th 2018, 2:40am

Racer-X wrote:by Logan R. Baker "It seems like every year I receive more and more questions from my non-horologically-inclined friends about Nomos Glashütte. It’s understandable. Over the past decade-plus, the German brand has made massive inroads in building a following in the United States. This is largely thanks to a highly-praised minimalist design palate, excellent marketing, accessible prices, and true in-house mechanical movements. Altogether, Nomos has found massive success in an arena that so many other brands are struggling with: How to appeal to a millennial and Gen Z audience without sacrificing horological prestige among longtime watch purists?

Today, Nomos is the largest producer of mechanical watches by volume in all of Germany and recently returned from Baselworld 2018 with the introduction of a new collection that continues with the same design panaché we’ve come to expect. While there are many widely known facts about the brand out there, such as it was founded two months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, there are still quite a few interesting details that not every watch enthusiast may know."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/nomos-glashuette-watches-information/

They're up there with Hondinkee in their ability to ask an increasingly crazy money for really very little. A few years ago a Tangente - which has nothing to it, a well-finished but cheap and simple case, a silver-plated (ooh! Silver plating? Hold me back) dial and a $30 strap cost a grand. Now it's THREE grand. Difference? None. OK, someone put some paint in the silver plate. And this new Autobahn, with the pointless lume and no minute hand (yes I know it has one but for fuck's sake it's a second hand)? Gash. Ayone else does this, people would point and laugh. Nomos does it, and grown men spunk into a stiff tissue.

I had one. It broke. What can I say - I'll pass.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 13th 2018, 8:21am

One really can't blame Nomos for riding the baloney pony to higher and higher prices; this is what smart businessmen do. When you have a hot product, with people lining up to buy it, you jack up the price. Rolex has been doing this for decades, and apart from Rollie haterz, nobody seems to care very much. And there are no smarter businessmen in the world than the fucking Krauts.

Whether or not Nomos are worth the coin is a valid question--in this thing of ours, there are plenty of brands who try to artificially inflate their prices *cough Omega cough*. Since we're collectors, and act like oversized kids, reacting to the shiny things in the corner, no doubt Nomos will run its course, and settle down in price hikes, when another small brand lights up the various fora.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to German Watches