A Tale of 2 Airmen...

A place for forum darlings and such.

A Tale of 2 Airmen...

Postby Thunder1 » May 15th 2019, 5:19pm

Well, I recently picked up 2 Glycine Airmen, The Chief(GL0251) and the 'Noon'(GL0157..Limited Edition #441 of 1,000)…

The Chief sports a polished 40MM SS case, an anthracite colored dial, and it is a true 24 hour time keeper...the movement is the Sellita SW300, geared to operate in a 24 hour environment..the lock-down 24 hour bezel allows it to track time in 2 time zones..the stated WR is only 1 Atmosphere and the crystal is hesalite..it comes w/ a very supple, brown leather strap that requires no break in..the buckle also fits very cleanly on the strap..

A wrist shot..

It is a re-edition of a Glycine manufactured for Turler Jewelers in the mid 1950's..it was intended to attract navy buyers, but was sold at an airport in Switzerland..here is some info on the original..

THE CHIEF Pat.
MOVEMENT Caliber Function Size Jewels Power Reserve Hz Hack second Incabloc Anti-magnetic
CASE, DIAL & HANDS Material Diameter Height Finish Waterproof Back Glass Dial Hands Crown
STRAP Material Width Buckle
NAME
Special features
Türler 1953 314050
Felsa 692 24 Hours, minutes and seconds, red date 11 ½ “ 23 jewels 44 hours 2 ½ Hz
stainless steel 36 mm without crown 11.50 mm satin / polished water protected screwed Hesalith plexi dome shaped black, white and champagne with luminous dots stainless steel with lume, small hour hand & minute hand with tail pull
calf leather 20 mm horns belt
Türler is a famous Watches & Jewelry store in Zürich this model is specialy made for the Türler store Technically speaking, this is not an Airman but a Chief
top ring is positioned by a special spacer system at 4h limited edition

https://andres55.home.xs4all.nl/glycine%20airman.pdf

The 'Noon' also sports a polished SS case, but is 42mm wide..it is also a true 24 hour time keeper, the dial is cream colored..it is also powered by Glycine's version of the SW300 movement, geared to keep time in the 24 hour environment..the lock-down 24 hour bezel allows it to track the time in 2 time zones, as well..it sports a nylon Nato strap and a display back..it is a limited re-edition(441 of 1,000)..it boasts of a 200m WR and a sapphire cyrystal..the original 'Noon' was first produced in 1953..here is some info on the original..

AIRMAN Pat.
MOVEMENT Caliber Function Size Jewels Power Reserve Hz Incabloc Anti-magnetic
CASE, DIAL & HANDS Material Diameter Height Finish Waterproof Back Glass Dial Hands Crown
STRAP Material Width Buckle
NICKNAME
Special features
Bezel variation
1953 314050
Felsa 692 24 Hours, minutes and seconds, red date 11 ½ “ 23 jewels 44 hours 2 ½ Hz
stainless steel 36 mm without crown 11.50 mm satin / polished water protected screwed Hesalith plexi dome shaped white and ivory stainless steel with lume pull
calf leather 20 mm horns belt
Airman PM AM
top ring is positioned by a special spacer system at 4h limited edition 1, 3, 7, 9, 11, 12 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

https://andres55.home.xs4all.nl/glycine%20airman.pdf

Both are comfortable to wear on the wrist..I prefer The Chief to the Noon, however..The Chief's anthracite colored dial is complimented by a light blue colored inner ring that provides excellent contrast..and the hour indices are marked by lume..other advantages for The Chief include lugs that are more thoughtfully formed and the nice leather strap and buckle..the 'Noon' is at the top and The Chief is on the bottom of the following pic..

To conclude, I feel both watches represent incredible value for their price points today at Ashfords and Glycine-Direct..for around $600.00, The Chief reminds me a whole lot of the Omega Speedmasters that I own, both in style and constuction..and the cyclops on the 'Noon' is also very cool..for those of us looking for a quality watch at a great price, and that is a little different, check these watches out if you can...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: A Tale of 2 Airmen...

Postby foghorn » May 15th 2019, 6:40pm

Thanks for the comparison review. I like both for different reasons. Since I "re-discovered" the Airman line I have become even more appreciative of the history ot these iconic watches. My first Airman was 46 mm and just to buking fig. Now that I picked up a more recent version (Airman 18 purist) I'm having a tough time going back to 12 hour watches. The Airman is a blast from the past that is only recently getting much deserved recognition. And Glycine continues to issue re-editions of the long underappreciated line.

foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 15th 2019, 7:27pm

Nice write-up! The Noon is nice, but for me, The Chief is the nicer of the two.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2019, 2:17am

The Chief for me - I find a black dial easier to read from in low light or at night. And both are great.

In the EU we are lucky enough to be able to queue up for a chance to buy these watches for around $1,400-1,500. I see that in the US they are about 30-40% of that.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » May 16th 2019, 2:43am

I think I like the Noon better, but I'm not sure. It's good you bought both! Nice pick ups.
artman
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » May 16th 2019, 3:16am

Thanx guys..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 16th 2019, 3:17am

Pubbie wrote:The Chief for me - I find a black dial easier to read from in low light or at night. And both are great.

In the EU we are lucky enough to be able to queue up for a chance to buy these watches for around $1,400-1,500. I see that in the US they are about 30-40% of that.

Doesn't Ashfords ship to the EU?
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » May 16th 2019, 6:35am

Thunder1 wrote:
Pubbie wrote:The Chief for me - I find a black dial easier to read from in low light or at night. And both are great.

Doesn't Ashfords ship to the EU?

But then the EU fucks us another 30% to pay for all their old wank, and the handler "handles" us by the balls as well by fucking us for a "handling" fee that is a pure profiteering measure.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 16th 2019, 2:56pm

For the non-EU folks here (which is, like, the majority...), here's how it works. So, you'll buy from some Ashford, Massdrop, whatever. The watch costs something like $500. The shipping... Depends on the shipping company, what delivery service has the store chosen... Let's assume that it was UPS, and the variant chosen by the store costs $100. That's on the invoice, along with the declared worth of the parcel. The import duties on watches vary, but they're usually 3% or thereabouts. The VAT's the real menace here, though. That's because the duty and VAT are slapped not on the declared worth of the package, but on the combined value of the package and shipping charge.
Imagine that the VAT is, say, 23%. Add the duty, that's 26% tax (tariff + VAT), calculated not from $500, but $600. That'll be $756, which is a hair north of 150% of the price that the dealer (Ashford, Shmashford, whatever) charges for the watch. Not to mention, that in some countries the customs tend to be nasty, and will keep your parcel stuck for a fucking month, throughout which month they'll demand additional documentation (usually not required by law), and so on. That's usually the bottom line, some countries have less troublesome mafia in uniforms customs, some have them worse, some have even more import charges than that, handling fees and whatthefucknot.

That's WEEKS of waiting, WEEKS of paperwork battles with low-life rejects from the police academy (aka "customs functionaries"), who being endowed with a single-figure IQ believe that wearing a uniform gives them the right to be a cunt. And then there's the matter of overpaying.

That's why thanks, but no, I'm not ordering a single thing from outside the EU. A "deal" at a dealer in the US is no deal to me at all.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 16th 2019, 3:05pm

A couple of very nice watches, Mr. Thunder!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 16th 2019, 3:15pm

conjurer wrote:A couple of very nice watches, Mr. Thunder!

Since foghorn declared we won I guess it is ok for all of you guys and gals to start showing your technomarines, lupahs and such along with your forum darlings. :roll:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » May 16th 2019, 3:46pm

Hell-maybe a Glycine forum is in order. Lots of satisfied customers and lots of chatter lately.
foghorn

Postby koimaster » May 16th 2019, 3:59pm

foghorn wrote:Hell-maybe a Glycine forum is in order. Lots of satisfied customers and lots of chatter lately.

:jpkd:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » May 16th 2019, 4:03pm

koimaster wrote:
foghorn wrote:Hell-maybe a Glycine forum is in order. Lots of satisfied customers and lots of chatter lately.

A shame.
foghorn

Postby koimaster » May 16th 2019, 4:09pm

foghorn wrote:
koimaster wrote:

[b]A shame[/b].

Et tu Brute!

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby AntFarm » May 16th 2019, 4:11pm

Wow those are nice... that chief is beautiful and also the perfect size...
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Return to Glycine