What The Naked Watchmaker Didn’t Reveal

All things Swiss

What The Naked Watchmaker Didn’t Reveal

Postby koimaster » January 7th 2019, 9:48am

As with most things in my life, I came to Breguet late. My horological interest was the independents; the large brands were really a sideshow for me.

But when my wife, who until then had expressed little interest in haute horlogerie, decided that she would like a nice watch, it became quickly apparent that the decision wasn’t about which brand, but which Breguet.

That that was an eyeopener about the power of the name.

And if you are curious, she ended up choosing a Breguet Marine.

Abraham-Louis Breguet (1747-1823) is considered the greatest and most influential watchmaker in history thanks to his horological inventions and innovations, many of which the industry still cherishes and produces in large quantities today – including the tourbillon, repeater gongs, automatic winding, balance shock protection, balance spring overcoil, and sympathetic clocks (okay, the latter perhaps not in any sort of quantity).

But what really made Abraham-Louis Breguet’s reputation was that his technical genius was complemented by an excellent sense of design plus superb management and marketing skills.

While born in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, Abraham-Louis Breguet worked and created most of his watches and clocks in Paris. He went to Switzerland briefly in 1793 at the start of the French revolution, returning to Paris two years later when the politics had stabilized.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/01/01/breg ... nt-reveal/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Swiss Watches