Walkabout: normal Shijiazhuang city streets

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

Walkabout: normal Shijiazhuang city streets

Postby AlbertaTime » May 3rd 2018, 6:34pm

Another hand-held video walkabout, this time about 17 or 18 minutes of just me walking ordinary city streets in Shijiazhuang. No dancing, singing and such, just what things look like, day-to-day, on typical city streets here in China, using Shijiazhuang as an example. Storefronts, a school yard, some street markets and stalls, lots of cars, bicycles, pedestrians, kids...

As usual, wild sound and up to 1080p if you want it...

Not exciting, but maybe interesting. Hope you enjoy, if you watch it.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Walkabout: normal Shijiazhuang city streets

Postby Mark1 » May 3rd 2018, 8:37pm

Interesting, say what you want about China but at the very least they drive on the correct side of the road. It appears to me that when you crossed the street the camera didn't pan each direction. I assume you looked both ways which would mean that the camera must be rigged to your body. Anyway, it works well as the video is really steady for moving down the street. Safe travels AT.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Racer-X » May 3rd 2018, 9:33pm

Another fun video. How are you keeping the camera so steady?
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » May 4th 2018, 12:05am

Held by two hands in front of me, low-tech.

In China, **always** look both ways :-)
Last edited by AlbertaTime on May 4th 2018, 1:48am, edited 1 time in total.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » May 4th 2018, 12:32am

Another cool glimpse into life there... gotta put a visit to China on my bucket list.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » May 4th 2018, 1:47am

3Flushes wrote:Another cool glimpse into life there... gotta put a visit to China on my bucket list.

Obviously, I recommend that :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 4th 2018, 4:41am

Busy place . Incredible amount of bicycles. Where are they all going?
I hope you found your way back OK.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » May 4th 2018, 8:23am

foghorn wrote:Busy place . Incredible amount of bicycles. Where are they all going?
I hope you found your way back OK.

If you have a good VPN (I use Express) then Google Maps works very well in China. The *satellite* view is off, but the maps are dead on the money, everywhere I've been, and they'll plot to and from anywhere to anywhere, walking, by car, or by transit. I've kinda been counting/estimating informally and I'm generally walking about 12 to 20 km most days while I'm here. Not every day, but easily most days. I always find my way back OK, and since I like smaller streets for "real life in China"photography, I seldom take the most direct route, coming or going.

I'm eating more than I do in Canada, but I'm also walking lots more. The result is I've dropped two belt notches since I got here--less than month. I'm really happy about that.

There's always been lots of bicycles, but the rental bicycle thing is throwing things off, some. This story: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/ seems accurate to me.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels