Zhaozhouqiao at the AMCHPR...more or less :-)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

Zhaozhouqiao at the AMCHPR...more or less :-)

Postby AlbertaTime » December 13th 2017, 8:39pm

So there's a story to this one.

石家庄市手表厂赵州桥手表 国产手卷表。应该是ZJS不SZN。依然漂亮,但不是真正的古董。我不是在抱怨。卖方的广告是诚实的。我想要石家庄的纪念品 所以我很高兴。

It's a Shijiazhuang City Watch Factory "Zhaozhou Bridge"...except the movement should be be ZJS not SZN, so far as I understand--and all the vintage *looking* Zhaozhouqiao I've seen have ZJS movements. The newer ones, not so much. I've even seen ZSE in one of those.

Now, as it happens, I'm quite sure this is a recent redial, and maybe the entire thing is a total assembled-recently-from-parts watch, but...I still love it

I can keep my eyes open for a fully correct piece, but mostly it's just I love the dial and logo so much. It's still a cool memento of Shijiazhuang, a city that's close to my heart, and the radiant sure plays nice when the light hits. And even the subdued lighting dial colour is appealing and a bit outta the ordinary enough to keep me happy.

At Wiki University I learned that "[t]he Anji Bridge is the world's oldest open-spandrel segmental arch bridge of stone construction. Credited to the design of a craftsman named Li Chun, the bridge was constructed in the years 595-605."

Not my photo (I'll credit this guy for a great post on the bridge)

Last edited by AlbertaTime on December 15th 2017, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Zhaozhouqiao at the AMCHPR...more or less :-)

Postby biglove » December 13th 2017, 9:11pm

Dang, A-T, redial or not it is lovely.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » December 13th 2017, 9:19pm

Very cool. I even dig the caseback tool.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » December 13th 2017, 9:30pm

Another cool find AT. Nice addition to your impressive collection.
artman
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 13th 2017, 10:34pm

Racer-X wrote:Very cool. I even dig the caseback tool.

If you visit this page, you can see my collection of VCM wrenches (many which work on other watches as well), polygons and slotted. They sure work better than the usual two or three point wrenches.

http://www.amchpr.com/parts-and-tools.html

Just for fun, if you like that kinda stuff...these are Sea-Gull factory wrenches from some time ago (1970/80ss?)

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » December 13th 2017, 10:46pm

Thanks, those are neat, I like the wooden case holder too. I've got a thing for trade tools and those wrenches are such a relief from the 'three-pronged scratch monster' if I can't get the sticky ball to work...
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » December 13th 2017, 11:10pm

Racer-X wrote:Thanks, those are neat, I like the wooden case holder too. I've got a thing for trade tools and those wrenches are such a relief from the 'three-pronged scratch monster' if I can't get the sticky ball to work...

I agree, and polygon and slotted western caseback wrenches also come up from time to time, too, on Ebay. And I think they're a good investment. Wooden case holders are nice for extra tight casebacks because the wood won't really mark the steel--but it will grip much tighter than I can grip with bare hands.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » December 14th 2017, 10:03am

Interestingly, A-T is able to post a learned and informative article about a corner of horology few know about, for free, while the big names in online watch reporting can only post stuff that nobody gives a shit about, and get paid for it.

Excellent post, as always, A-T!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » December 14th 2017, 12:51pm

conjurer wrote:Interestingly, A-T is able to post a learned and informative article about a corner of horology few know about, for free, while the big names in online watch reporting can only post stuff that nobody gives a shit about, and get paid for it.

Yup
+ all the cool stuff about China and Chinese culture!

I like radiant dials, that's nicely done. Very cool looking watch A-T.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » December 14th 2017, 1:02pm

Brilliant thread sir, love the tools and the watch is fantastic. Quite a large size by the look of it, but I suppose it had to be to fit that name on the dial! :)
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 15th 2017, 8:53pm

conjurer wrote:Interestingly, A-T is able to post a learned and informative article about a corner of horology few know about, for free, while the big names in online watch reporting can only post stuff that nobody gives a shit about, and get paid for it.

That's kind of you, John. I'm seriously grateful for that.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 15th 2017, 8:55pm

3Flushes wrote:

Yup
+ all the cool stuff about China and Chinese culture!

I like radiant dials, that's nicely done. Very cool looking watch A-T.

My thanks, 3F! I like radiant dials too--and that's one area that the Chinese dial makers have down.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 15th 2017, 8:57pm

bobbee wrote:Brilliant thread sir, love the tools and the watch is fantastic. Quite a large size by the look of it, but I suppose it had to be to fit that name on the dial! :)

:-) Thanks, bobbee. it's about 36/37mm w/o crown if i recall, likely 36. But I'm really comfortable with that size.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » December 16th 2017, 5:27am

Xi should extend ambassadorial status. You be representin!

Cheers.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels