AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #8 - A Luoyang park and L

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #8 - A Luoyang park and L

Postby AlbertaTime » April 13th 2013, 3:33pm

My last post chronicled a crappy hotel, a gray and chilly day, and a beautiful encounter with a true gentleman and his brother. This next post details a fresh start in Luoyang in a different part of the city, with a better hotel (and a pinch of watch content)...

...and a beautiful spring day in the midst of Luoyang's annual spring Peony Festival. I decided to take a good stroll through the park across the street from the hotel before I killed Bucket List destination #1 for this trip: the Longmen Grottoes. (note: the guy in the camo is just a private company parking lot guard for the hotel. He's armed with a pencil and paper and I'm quite sure the most dangerous action he's seen at the hotel is poor parking).

These photos were taken between 9 and about 10:30 in the morning and I gather this is a pretty usual spring weekday morning at this Luoyang neighbourhood park, just folks taking a morning stroll or getting some exercise. Nothing appeared organized except that probably one of the dancers had brought a decent but certainly not pro-quality portable music system.

Keep in mind that nothing that's happening in this park in these photos is a part of the Peony Festival event. The prominent activities for that were taking place elsewhere in the city and I didn't have the time in the city to explore that. Instead, I just visited the park and Longmen, and the park photos are pretty much just day-to-day for this time of year. I asked.

It was a Tuesday.

Since yesterday's weather had been so poor, I made up my mind to get to the Longmen Grottoes in case the weather got bad again (which it didn't...but still), so I went back to the hotel, grabbed my cameras and took a cab to the Longmen Grottoes entrance.

Before reading further, I'll suggest that to put the rest of this post in historical perspective, it might be an idea to take a quick read of the Wiki on Longmen (but tldr: as many as 100,000 statues of varying sizes within 1,400 caves, started in AD 493.).

To put things in physical perspective, I'll suggest you first -- even if you don't read the Wiki -- [url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Longmen_Grottoes_Pano.jpg[/img]click on this hi-res panorama shot of Longmen that I didn't take[/url]. It's the best single shot of the Grottoes I've ever seen and the one that convinced me to visit the site).

Anyways, here are my shots in no particular order, taken on the Grotto side and across the river...

It was a day of a lot of walking and a lot of climbing, but the Longmen site is a fascinating, scenic place with very worthwhile statues and other curiosities not available to be seen without some arduous climbing, especially high on the less traveled eastern side away from the main western section.

You'll notice I included one photo taken with a youngster; I wish I had a quarter for every time I got asked to pose with someone that day...probably happened about 30 times. "Foreigners" are scarce in Luoyang, and many people seem to want proof they can keep that they actually saw one :-). I'm very OK with that, and accepted every request.

And here's the watch content: from the AMCHPR collection: How I learned about Longmen -- a 1980s or 90s Mudan commemorative of the Longmen Grottoes.

Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:18am, edited 3 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #8 - A Luoyang park and Longmen Grottoes

Postby Steelhead » April 13th 2013, 4:08pm

This whole series has just been spectacular. Any chance of getting them sticky-ed?
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jb182 » April 13th 2013, 4:17pm

Beautiful photos as always.
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » April 13th 2013, 4:30pm

Excellent as usual AT

For an erection lasting longer then four hours......

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby Kahuna74 » April 13th 2013, 5:48pm

Yes AT, some beautiful photos. That watch looks awesome.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bluesbro » April 13th 2013, 7:40pm

That cliff city was amazing. You have covered a wide photographic range with this series. Thank you.
Bluesbro
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 13th 2013, 9:25pm

A superb photographic journey, A-T. Really first class. While the scenic pics were great, I really liked the simple photos of the folks who live there, dancing and enjoying a nice day. It just goes to show that there's really very little difference between us all.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 13th 2013, 10:21pm

Great pics - don't post in all the threads, but see them all. Those grottoes remind me of the cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby wottime » April 14th 2013, 11:36am

Thanks for posting your travels. Beautiful pictures, stories, and general log of your journeys. I have enjoyed each thread. Thank you.
wottime
Senior Member & WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels