AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #6 - **Lotsa** watch cont

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #6 - **Lotsa** watch cont

Postby AlbertaTime » April 10th 2013, 7:12am

Finally I've had time to take these photos and to compile the information (with Joel's help) that I needed to do this properly.

Here's the watches (and some additional ephemera) I've been blessed with so far this trip (with huge thanks to a number of very kind people for most of it):

Mr Zhou, webmaster of the Chinese watch forum at www.watchstore.cn, provided this lovely Qionghua...

...and this collection of Zhongshan dials:

This rare prototype piepan dial Zuanshi (with a S marked on the back case) was given by Mr Shao, webmaster of the Chinese watch forum: yiwatch.net]http://www.yiwatch.net]yiwatch.net:

These original research papers on the A-581 and SS1A movements were written and provided by Mr.Cheng, the webmaster of China's yiwatch.net and camgle.com, (Once translated and placed at the AMCHPR, this will be the first time the documentation will have been seen in the English language):

This masterful list of watch brands and originating provinces was gifted by Mr. Zhou:

I believe Mr. Tong (or possibly Joel?) provided this original translation of the article where I was quoted in China Watch and Clock's "Fans of Timekeeper" supplement:

...and here's the copy of the article itself, now signed by both the author, Mr. Tong (Production Team member for the A581 movement as well as the former vice chief engineer of Xian HongQi Watch Factory and the former Senior Engineer at Shanghai Watch Factory) and Mr Jiang (Designer of the Shanghai Watch Factory SS1A movement).

These next 8 watches were very generously gifted to me by Joel Chan:

and this Zijinshan which Joel says can be my first successful repair as there's only a couple of small things wrong with it ;-)

...and here's a couple I picked up myself at the Dongtai Lu market, the first from the seller I shook hands with (Joel's good friend...who gave me a much better-than-usual deal) because I don't recall seeing a Hai Shi with the red Hai Shi characters between the branding...

...and this because I wanted a day/date Chunlei:

...and, yes, I do feel like one of the luckiest people on the planet :-)
Last edited by AlbertaTime on August 19th 2016, 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #6 - **Lotsa** watch content...and lotsa gratitude...

Postby 3Flushes » April 10th 2013, 11:25am

Very cool looking stuff. Glad for your acquisitions. Have been watching the threads, the pics are awesome! Things have sure changed since I was there as a kid! What fun man. Safe travels.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #6 - **Lotsa** watch content...and lotsa gratitude...

Postby catnap » April 10th 2013, 11:32am

Really interesting, informative and enjoyable posts and pics covering your trip. Many thanks for sharing.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » April 10th 2013, 11:33am

AT, have you seen any Bulls yet ?

Reason I ask is that my Mother always yelled at me for running through the house like a "bull in a China shop". Thought you would have seen a few by now

Safe Trip

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » April 10th 2013, 12:05pm

Thank you so much.
Be sure to pick up genuine Invictas and Doxas while in the home country.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby jb182 » April 10th 2013, 1:58pm

Once again, thanks for entertaining and educational threads.
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels