AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #4 - Shanghai City Centre

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #4 - Shanghai City Centre

Postby AlbertaTime » April 8th 2013, 8:52am

(Still writing from Luoyang)

WatchuSeek member ntchen (who I'd first met on China's iwatch forum) and I had made plans to meet in Shanghai, along with WatchuSeek member 13143268 (Sean), and April 6th was the day this was gonna happen, so I knew it was going to be a fine enough day. I had no real idea...;-)

I wanted to start the day with a visit to Mr. Billy's Handmade Shoes in Shanghai, which I'd read about on the net, but Billy's store was closed when I got there, and it looked dusty, almost boarded up, and very closed so I took a cab back to the hotel, and then headed straight down to Shanghai City Center for another look around. And the weather was windy but much more sunny than the last couple of days, so...good.

Now, Shanghai City Center is a tourist mecca in Shanghai...loads of high-end and mid-market shops, many of them large. It's readily apparent that this is a cosmopolitan area of town, teeming from early on till quite late at night with people from all over the world shopping and taking photos of each other and of the stores...and when in Rome...

...but if you go two blocks away from that very fashionable section, you get another day-to-day Chinese big-city neighbourhood...

After that walk-around, I grabbed a couple of hot lamb skewers from a street seller and then headed to the Bund for some shots of the riverfront and the Oriental Pearl Radio & TV Tower / 东方明珠塔...

...and I still had the evening to come...
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #4 - Shanghai City Centre and the Bund...

Postby Horse Feathers » April 8th 2013, 8:58am

Fantastic skyline in those last couple of photos.

KFC and McDonalds are everywhere, am sure it's western fascination but I'll take the food served from the sidewalk in front of that resteraunt over MickeyD's anyday

EDIT: Just noticed Pizza Hut as well, too funny seems we are exporting toxic food as well

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #4 - Shanghai City Centre and the Bund...

Postby kevco » April 8th 2013, 12:10pm

Thank you for sharing.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby jb182 » April 8th 2013, 2:23pm

Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing.
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » April 8th 2013, 4:42pm

Awesome pic's AT.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » April 8th 2013, 5:00pm

Horse Feathers wrote:KFC and McDonalds are everywhere, am sure it's western fascination but I'll take the food served from the sidewalk in front of that resteraunt over MickeyD's anyday

It's not western fascination. The street food just tastes better :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby wottime » April 8th 2013, 5:46pm

Very nice travel log of you journeys. Enjoying them. Thanks for posting.
wottime
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 8th 2013, 6:58pm

Some more beautiful pics, A-T. Well done indeed!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Bluesbro » April 9th 2013, 7:32pm

Dude, you are the man! Thanks again.
Bluesbro
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DoctorIvey » April 10th 2013, 7:12am

Awesome photos, comrade! That poodle looks delicious!
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels