AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #3 - wandering Shanghai b

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #3 - wandering Shanghai b

Postby AlbertaTime » April 8th 2013, 6:04am

...with heartfelt apologies to any dialup users anywhere...

I'm sitting in my hotel in Luoyang (it's now 9 PM here, April 8th), taking a night off from wandering and shooting photos, and from the astonishing friendship (and Olympic calibre drinking) that have occupied these last few days, so that I can organize my thoughts, cull and process a whack of photos (literally hundreds) and try to put events in some sort of accurate time order.

These photos were taken April 5th, between the wonderful evening get-together with the VCM experts and engineers and the equally impressive evening with the new Chinese watch enthusiasts (the latter I exect to detail in post 4 or 5 if my plan holds...and it might not Image

So here's April 5th, starting with a morning return to Dongtai Lu antique market, followed by an afternoon cruise around...at Joel's suggestion...the very busy Cheng Huang Miao not-antique market. It was a kinda cool, sort of drizzly day, but I used to live in Vancouver and on Vancouver Island so rain's no stranger, and now I live in northern Alberta so I didn't find it cold at all...didn't even need a jacket, but it seems everyone else did ;-)

First, Dongtai Lu...

...after which I grabbed a cab (about 50 RMB or less -- maybe $8 -- for a twenty/twenty-five minute ride) to the entrance of Cheng Huang Miao. I'll note that in the middle of the Cheng Huang Miao photos are a few from the surrounding non-touristy area, since I have a tendency to wander off the beaten path. Cheng Huang Miao is a very wide-ranging collection of mosly small consumer-level retail shops from inexpensive tourist goods through jewellery and home design to high end collectibles and furniture. And lotsa stuff in between.

Judging by the photos, it seems a popular place :-)

So here's where I get off the beaten path, to an adjacent area of much more local shops...a neighbourhood, really, and just the kind of place I like to explore. Normal, non-tourist day-to-day Chinese living in a somewhat downtown neghbourhood. You'll see a quite nice small park area. That's where I found a small cafe hidden in the trees, and had a great lunch of beef and noodles...

...with a wander through an almost labarytnian indoor market of neighbourhood stalls, selling everything from...well, everything...if you could find it in a department or hardware store, there's a good chance you'll find it here. Maybe a hundreds very small shops in a single building. I've never seen anything like it where I've ever lived.

...and that sign must work at least a bit. I didn't see one single copy in any stall in that particular market area, and I looked.

...and back into Cheng Huang Miao

I was particulalry impressed by this fellow...an exhibitor from the Yuyaun Folk Craftsmen. His specialty is crafting intricate sculptures from cut and folded palm fronds.

After that, it was back to my hotel for a bit, then out again, this time no jacket but in what became pouring rain, to shoot some lights and neon (some of you might recall from my last visit thatI like doing that in China). These were taken in and around Shanghai City Center. I got soaked to the skin and had a blast.

There's some watch content here...kinda...

...and that's the 5th, which will lead me to April 6th which includes a daytime vsit to Shanghai's Bund (and some shots of the Pearl Tower), followed by a fascinating dinner with WatchuSeek member(and China's Iwatch member) ntchen2 and his very welcoming friends...
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #3 - wandering Shanghai between two dinners...

Postby conjurer » April 8th 2013, 6:18am

Some more fantastic pics and impressions, A-T! Great stuff here--it's like watching Rick Steves' show, you feel like you've been there without the 12 hour flight.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #3 - wandering Shanghai between two dinners...

Postby Horse Feathers » April 8th 2013, 6:45am

AT, love these updates

Am curious about this sign and why it was in English. Was the audience for this particular sample the shoppers and elsewhere there were Chinese versions.

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby AlbertaTime » April 8th 2013, 7:11am

Horse Feathers wrote:AT, love these updates

Am curious about this sign and why it was in English. Was the audience for this particular sample the shoppers and elsewhere there were Chinese versions.

I didn't notice one in another language, but I think since it was posted in a shopping area close to a place where you might find shoppers from around the world, that it's sending a message to non-Chinese folks for two reasons:

1) the government wants non-Chinese folks to think they're working against counterfeits, and

2) that they don't want English speaking people buying them either.

As I said, I looked for fakes in that market and didn't find them. I did find them elsewhere...but not in Shanghai. Not saying there weren't any, but I didn't bump into them. I saw them in Luoyang within minutes of starting to walk around. Oh...but I did have steet hawkers in Shanghai offering to "sell me a watch". All they got from me was a dismissive "Wo bu xiang" as I walked away.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » April 8th 2013, 7:27am

Thanks AT

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » April 8th 2013, 4:29pm

Kids and bubbles eh? Best shot of the bunch man. Safe travels.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby wottime » April 8th 2013, 5:38pm

Great pics and stories. Keep 'em coming.
wottime
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bluesbro » April 9th 2013, 7:19pm

Pictures are incredible. I feel like I was there.
Bluesbro
Senior Member & WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels