AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #1 - Apr 3rd & the aftern

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #1 - Apr 3rd & the aftern

Postby AlbertaTime » April 5th 2013, 8:11am

I arrived in Shanghai successfully on April 3rd (Shanghai time) and was almost immediately met at my hotel by the very gracious Joel Chan of Micmicmor Vintage Watch. We had a bite to eat and good chat after which I crashed solidly since I'd been up 28 hours straight, too excited to sleep on the plane ;-) and the trip had taken that long with two flights, layovers and customs and taxis, etc...

First order of the following day was an awesome Chinese style breakfast feast at the hotel (included with the room :-) ) followed by a walk around the streets and park across from the hotel. (The first three photos coming up were actually taken from my 6th floor room just before dusk from my hotel on April 3rd before I met Joel. The rest are from the 4th...)

Joel met me later that afternoon (the 4th) and we headed to Dongtai Lu antique market to fill some hours before a very special Dinner that had been arranged for my arrival (more on that later in this post), so here we are at Dongtai Lu. Joel is used to it, but my VCM brain went into overload...

Joel has known this seller for years, and I was very pleased to be introduced to him...and his stock of VCMS ;-)

Then it was on to the very special Dinner...but for that you would go here...
Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #1 - Apr 3rd & the afternoon of the 4th in Shanghai

Postby Horse Feathers » April 5th 2013, 8:23am

Great story & fantastic photos

I would love to be able to tag along and visit those stores with people who know what and where to look, I would be lost by myself.

Looking forward to your updates and living vicariously through you during your trip

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Re: AlbertaTime returns to China. Post #1 - Apr 3rd & the afternoon of the 4th in Shanghai

Postby Wasp » April 5th 2013, 8:26am

Better than winning the lottery.

Like the culture. Clean, orderly, respectful. Sure they have shortcomings but have much to be admired. The streetscapes are wonderful, nice share. Good hunting.
Cheers
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bigedsurf » April 5th 2013, 8:45am

Fantastic pics Ron, keep em coming.........
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby Kahuna74 » April 5th 2013, 10:01am

Yeah Ron ^^ that.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 5th 2013, 10:44am

Great pics- look forward to more. Safe travels.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby ocean » April 5th 2013, 1:16pm

3Flushes wrote:Great pics- look forward to more. Safe travels.

+1
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » April 5th 2013, 2:27pm

Great stuff. I really enjoy these posts.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » April 5th 2013, 3:32pm

Thanks everybody.

Today, among other things, it's a trip to Mr. Billy's handmade shoes... :-)

http://www.billyshoes.com/en/
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » April 5th 2013, 3:36pm

AlbertaTime wrote:Thanks everybody.

Today, among other things, it's a trip to Mr. Billy's handmade shoes... :-)

http://www.billyshoes.com/en/

Billy, Billy, Billy, the guy will do anything just to get a sniff of man crotch

AT - Not in reference to your guy, just the opportunty to bust on our favorite troll

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby wottime » April 5th 2013, 4:41pm

AT, you look like a kid in the candy store. Have fun and thanks for keeping us in the loop with your journeys.
wottime
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jb182 » April 5th 2013, 4:59pm

Love the travelogue; keep it coming.
jb182
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » April 6th 2013, 3:51am

King Billy...enjoyed the translations on the site. If you get any Bruno Magli knock offs don’t buy any knives.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels