Some fun new exhibits for the AMCHPR and maybe a mystery sol

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

Some fun new exhibits for the AMCHPR and maybe a mystery sol

Postby AlbertaTime » January 19th 2013, 12:55am

Yet another "cloth" or textured dial 9 jewel mechanical Zhongshan. Nothing spectacularly rare I'm sure, but I love these "poor mans" workhorses and it's a dial pattern I didn't have. Zhongshans are very dependable, robust watches with, normally, about 50 hours power reserve Image

This watch is a later (likely 80s?) 17 jewel Meihualu (or "Spot/Sika deer) by Jilin watch factory. I bought it mainly because it came with the charming original paperwork seen in these photos. The paperwork also provides further evidence to show that brightly colored dials cannot safely be assumed to be recent redials but are instead quite consistent with later VCMs.

This next item is a MuDan (or Peony brand) built commemorative watch for the Longmen Grottoes which you can read about here at Wikipedia (simplified Chinese: 龙门石窟; traditional Chinese: 龍門石窟; pinyin: lóngmén shíkū; lit. Dragon's Gate Grottoes). Built in the MuDan factory in Luoyang, Henan province in China. The watch measures about 30mm wide not counting the crown.

...a photo of the Grottoes...

This last piece is a 1981/83 Chinese publication on automatic (zidong) watches that I purchased because it had some info (none of which I can read past a few characters and the pretty pictures) of the Shanghai SS2 29 jewel movement. I leave all the translations in these photos (please) to those much more skilled than I.

WUS Chinese Mechanical Watches forum moderator Chascomm was looking for information on this movement in this thread Seeking info about Shanghai SS2 auto movement which contains photos of the movement, and questions about the auto winding mechanism, so maybe I've helped answer the question...or deepened the mystery ;-)

Last edited by AlbertaTime on October 21st 2016, 9:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Some fun new exhibits for the AMCHPR and maybe a mystery solved...

Postby eddiea » January 19th 2013, 4:10am

Interesting, like the idea of the Buddha on a dial, wonder if any others did the same? the caves of course, are famous worldwide.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » January 19th 2013, 4:02pm

eddiea wrote:Interesting, like the idea of the Buddha on a dial, wonder if any others did the same? the caves of course, are famous worldwide.

Well, the holographic Zhufeng watches have Buddhist dieties, but it's uncommon in my experience.

I just realized, since the Grottoes are in Henan province which also has the Guoliang Tunnel area (which was already on my "gonna definitely see" list for my April trip) I'm trying to arrange to see both.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » January 19th 2013, 5:03pm

Nice read in both the post and the links. I love the dial on this. It has a really nice textured look.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » January 26th 2013, 7:06am

I really enjoy these Chinese watch posts. Interesting stuff.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » January 26th 2013, 7:16am

Tzimisces wrote:I really enjoy these Chinese watch posts. Interesting stuff.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels