Moonphase automatic limited edition and affordable...

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China

Moonphase automatic limited edition and affordable...

Postby AlbertaTime » June 27th 2012, 8:37pm

An honestly Chinese affordable limited edition...It's the WatchuSeek 2011 Chinese Mechanical Watches forum 2011 "project watch" with an interesting development history that started with this WUS post. The watch is the end result of a collaboration by some interested folks on the WatchuSeek Chinese Mechanical Watch forum, and most of the collaboration went right past me as I was involved in other stuff. All aspects of the watch (style, dial, indices, crown etc) are the result of separate votes, leading to this final result.

...and I almost missed out on this because only 150 were made and they were all sold except about 5 that were held back for a time in case of any "first out the door" issues.

Well, anyways, it appears there were essentially no heavy-duty "first out" issues and so even though I was quite late to the asking (begging) and missed the original distribution. I'm very grateful to the project coordinator for his kindness to me; one of the last available pieces was made available (it's hard to sit down with such a firmly placed horseshoe).

The movement is a Sea-Gull ST2528 true moonphase 21,600 automatic (not just day/night) with custom blue rotor and it handwinds and hacks. The small pusher by the crown sets the moonphase and the small pusher at the 10 PM side of the case sets the date. Sapphire crystal, textured creme dial and very nice quality leather strap. This piece is #145 of 150...

I'm thrilled with the piece as a memento of my hobby and as an attractive dress watch, but I also think it's a very neat example of what can happen on a collaboration project.

The watch is honestly Chinese with a delivered price of $200 CDN and I think it's great value for the dollar even on it's own terms as a timepiece without the history.
Last edited by Anonymous on June 27th 2012, 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: Moonphase automatic limited edition and affordable...

Postby jason_recliner » June 27th 2012, 8:47pm

Nice looking watch. Good price, and the style is more cohesive than many of the forum projects. I like it!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby bigedsurf » June 28th 2012, 2:19am

Good catch AT.......
time flies.........
bigedsurf
WIS - Retired

Postby Guest » July 8th 2012, 5:43am

Constantin Weisz designed in Germany made in China,price $118.

black face w/moonphase.Black leather strap.Oh forgot,it's an automatic.As soon as I figure out how to transfer pictures from my webcam I'll just keeprying.

Postby themadhungarian » July 8th 2012, 10:34am

Stetson you continue to prove you are in way, way over your head by posting some bullshit in someone else's new watch thread.

Start your own fucking thread or, better yet, just read more until you understand what is actually going on here.

A
themadhungarian

Postby BigCheez » July 8th 2012, 12:28pm

AT, that's a beautiful watch! I'm not enough of a WUSsie to be thrilled with the LE or "W" on the dial, but it wouldn't stop me either.

If you ever find another at that price, or a regular Seagull with similar specs and appearance, please let me know.
:cigar:

Enjoy it! It's a nifty piece.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby timc. » July 8th 2012, 12:41pm

i like it
timc.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » July 8th 2012, 1:41pm

BigCheez wrote:AT, that's a beautiful watch!...If you ever find another at that price, or a regular Seagull with similar specs and appearance, please let me know. :cigar:

Thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for you. The closest Sea-Gull that's currently available is the M308S, but I like this better, and the price was better as well. Still, someone might sell theirs...(not me, though)...

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » July 8th 2012, 3:35pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
BigCheez wrote:AT, that's a beautiful watch!...If you ever find another at that price, or a regular Seagull with similar specs and appearance, please let me know. :cigar:

Thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for you. The closest Sea-Gull that's currently available is the M308S, but I like this better, and the price was better as well. Still, someone might sell theirs...(not me, though)...

I actually own the remains of an M308S. It went tango uniform after I reset the moonphase about 200 times (I got all obsessive over trying to get it "just right"). It's the first time Kevin didn't answer one of my emails and rather soured me on hunting bargains via SeaGull. I wouldn't mind trying again with something like yours.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Dr.Morningwood » July 8th 2012, 4:07pm

I have 16/150. I was interested in this watch from the beginning, so I was able to cast my votes as far as the design. Its a very nice watch. I think you can get this exact watch without the WUS logos from the maker of the watch.
Dr.Morningwood
Watchlord WIS

Postby themadhungarian » July 8th 2012, 4:08pm

Who is the manufacturer?
themadhungarian

Postby AlbertaTime » July 8th 2012, 4:11pm

Dr.Morningwood wrote:I have 16/150. I was interested in this watch from the beginning, so I was able to cast my votes as far as the design. Its a very nice watch. I think you can get this exact watch without the WUS logos from the maker of the watch.

That's very likely true.

You could ask Thomas at lhczthomas@gmail.com. His English is decent but it helps to be clear and concise. He's very friendly and very accommodating.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AJC » July 8th 2012, 4:30pm

Stetson wrote:Constantin Weisz designed in Germany made in China,price $118.

black face w/moonphase.Black leather strap.Oh forgot,it's an automatic.As soon as I figure out how to transfer pictures from my webcam I'll just keeprying.

I like busting the balls of mooks on the internet, so I normally don't say this, butImage
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Samdwich » August 24th 2012, 5:03pm

Wow i liked that watch mostly for the meaning and the project wich i had known about this, Congrats man good ctach it looks really nice and dressy! ive been looking for a watch with chinese letters (or numbers not sure if i wrote it right)
Samdwich

Postby Northwestguy » August 24th 2012, 5:16pm

Very Nice Ron! Super clean and love the moon phase. What size is it?
Northwestguy
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » August 24th 2012, 5:55pm

Samdwich wrote:Wow i liked that watch mostly for the meaning and the project wich i had known about this, Congrats man good ctach it looks really nice and dressy! ive been looking for a watch with chinese letters (or numbers not sure if i wrote it right)

Damn-even for a troll you suck!!

Eat my shorts

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 24th 2012, 6:17pm

Sorry I missed this the first time around, A-T. Nice looking watch, and your pics are excellent, as usual.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » August 24th 2012, 7:07pm

Nice score Ron. Nice looking dress watch.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » August 24th 2012, 7:31pm

Northwestguy wrote:Very Nice Ron! Super clean and love the moon phase. What size is it?

Thanks (and thanks everyone for your kind words), this was a project watch that worked out pretty well as far as design and not ending up looking too much like a horological salad. The watch is 40mm with 20mm lugs.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 24th 2012, 7:33pm

conjurer wrote:Sorry I missed this the first time around, A-T. Nice looking watch, and your pics are excellent, as usual.

I appreciate the comment on the photography. I love taking photos and I'm trying to improve as I go along :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby chef p » August 26th 2012, 8:10am

That sir, is a beautiful looking watch......
chef p
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » August 27th 2012, 6:08am

themadhungarian wrote:Who is the manufacturer?

I'm sorry, I missed this question earlier...the manufacturer was Sea-Gull HK aka Tsinlien Sea-Gull of Hong Kong, a Tianjin Sea-Gull owned subsidiary OEM company with a separate catalogue of models from Tianjin Sea-Gull.

chef p wrote:That sir, is a beautiful looking watch......

Thank you :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby elau » August 27th 2012, 7:48am

A very clean design and I like how easy it is to read. With Made in China proudly written on the dial says it well. It is a Chinese made watch and not a Swiss poser. I like that a lot and thank you for sharing your watch with us.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Postby itfc1959 » August 27th 2012, 10:17am

Agree with all the positives. This is a lovely looking piece and unashamedly Chinese.

I'd seen a couple of sites that were running a 'project' piece and thought, oh shit, here comes a camel. But that looks like a fine example of collaborative working. Hats off, Gentlemen! Hats off!
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby elau » August 27th 2012, 11:57am

Don't mean to hi-jack your post. Would you minding showing me how to post pictures? I just got a new watch today and don't mind sharing.
elau
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to AlbertaTime Museum and Travels