Review: Marloe Watch Company Haskell

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots

Review: Marloe Watch Company Haskell

Postby koimaster » January 26th 2018, 4:10pm

British brand Marloe Watch Company (which I’ll simply refer to as Marloe going forward) entered the stage via a successful Kickstarter campaign in February of 2016, launching their stylish Cherwell model. A year later the brand announced their second watch, the Derwent, which was swiftly followed by another crowdfunding campaign for the Seagull ST19 mechanical chronograph, the Lomond Chronoscope. (You can read our reviews of the Cherwell and the Lomond Chronoscope here and here, respectively.) With their first three watches, Marloe had chosen to focus solely on producing hand-wound pieces using movements from Seagull and Miyota. However, Marloe’s latest, the Haskell, is the first Swiss-made watch from the brand powered by an ETA engine, and it’s what we’ll be taking a look at today.

The Haskell (about $1,181 with current exchange rates) takes its name from the Haskell Strait—a body of water between Ross Island and Antarctica where Captain Scott and his team began their Terra Nova Expedition to reach the South Pole. This watch doesn’t guarantee it will be able to survive the extremes of that environment, but it is intended as an everyday wristwatch. My daily routine doesn’t often require 1,000 meters-plus of water resistance or hardened, scratch-proof cases, so this watch should be more than adequate for someone like me (which is, frankly, most of us). Let’s take a closer look.

http://wornandwound.com/review/review-m ... y-haskell/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Review: Marloe Watch Company Haskell

Postby Rusty » January 26th 2018, 5:29pm

Why do watch companies have to name their watches after some historical event or location. I would love to see a brand marketed as follows:

"Bob and his partners really like the look of this new design and hope you do too."
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » January 26th 2018, 5:42pm

Gosh Mr. Cleaver,that's a beautiful timepiece you're wearing today. Is it a Marloe??

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » January 26th 2018, 9:05pm

foghorn wrote:Gosh Mr. Cleaver,that's a beautiful timepiece you're wearing today. Is it a Marloe??

Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Hail Britannia