Now I really feel old. RIP Bandit

Postby foghorn » September 6th 2018, 12:18pm

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Now I really feel old. RIP Bandit

Postby 3Flushes » September 6th 2018, 12:37pm

Damn.

Of everything the guy did, my favorite scene was in The End with him and Dom DeLouise in the hospital room after Reynold's character pulls through. The guy was a classic in a calssicafying era of real movies; real stunts, real locations, and real props.

Damn.

Ed: The Longest Yard "Nice Hair. Ever find any spiders in it?"
Last edited by 3Flushes on September 6th 2018, 12:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » September 6th 2018, 12:39pm

3Flushes wrote:Damn.

Of everything the guy did, my favorite scene was in The End with him and Dom DeLouise in the hospital room after Reynold's character pulls through.

Damn.

Sleeping with Sally Fields would have been my first choice of his actions. :mrgreen:

He did have fun making flicks. My mother who was a screen writer at Universal told me once he used to prank every one and never spent time alone, always a lady on his arm.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Thunder1 » September 6th 2018, 12:42pm

He was great in Deliverance...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » September 7th 2018, 4:17am

Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » September 7th 2018, 4:31am

I was pleasantly surprised that a few of my younger coworkers knew that Burt Reynolds was in The Longest Yard, but I was appalled when they did not know that movie was a remake and that he was in the original.
artman
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » September 7th 2018, 7:24am

Now re-united with "Snowman" Jerry Reed for another run....
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » September 7th 2018, 10:12am

Classic bit

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus Fakeuus » September 7th 2018, 3:42pm

He was never given the props he so richly deserved, both as an actor AND as a guy's guy who loved to laugh, especially at himself. When he made his big comeback, with films like Striptease and Boogie Nights, he was a joy to watch as he performed. But even then, he came away disappointed, despite winning a Golden Globe for best supporting actor, when he lost out to Robin Williams & Goodwill Hunting for the best supporting actor Oscar. And I, along with many of his fans, came away bitterly disappointed, too, because we all realized that this was almost certainly his last chance to receive the recognition that he was a true 'master of the craft' of acting.

My personal favorite films were Deliverance and The [original] Longest Yard, two classic films that, like him, never received the recognition they deserved. Both did well at the box office, but that was probably cold comfort for a man who worked as hard as he did. But he always got up, dusted himself off, and carried on, even when he was making the "Smokey films" (and consequently laughing all the way to the bank).

Toward the end, it was hard to see the frail little man he had become. I hadn't seen him for years, and, suddenly, there he was, this hollow-cheeked man in a black western get-up, having to be held up on both sides as he introduced a new, very limited edition Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. And this frail, diminished Burt Reynolds broke my heart in ways I'll probably never get my head around, no matter how hard I try. He truly WAS a guy's guy, someone you'd want to have a beer with, or shoot some pool, or just hang out with and talk about cars and, of course, the ladies.

Godspeed, Burt Reynolds, and many, many thanks for all the good times, the laughter, and even the occasional tear. RIP.
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech is cantankerous" - Zhuangzi
Mortuus Fakeuus
Banned

Postby TemerityB » September 7th 2018, 8:19pm

Falstaff wrote:Now re-united with "Snowman" Jerry Reed for another run....

Yep. I really loved Jerry Reed's guitar playing, and he was an underrated songwriter. Legit country funk, if there was such a thing.

Smokey really was a comedy classic - perhaps Jackie Gleason's funniest acting ever, too.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » September 8th 2018, 2:06am

I guess I’m an ass or the woman’s point of view, but he wasn’t that great of an actor...he was an icon though. Not bad to look at during bad dialogue.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else