Can Hall & Oates keep touring into their 90s?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Can Hall & Oates keep touring into their 90s?

Postby koimaster » August 13th 2018, 8:46am

I for one hope not. My review is below.

What a waste of money this concert was on August 9th. Aside from the $133.00 service charge for two tickets, Hall & Oates were boring and quite bluntly put, should have retired and stayed retired. The act Train was alright and out performed the lead act. Hall And Oates comes on stage and for the first hour we get rambling speeches by Hall and bored to death by old musicians who fill the time by going off script with Slash & Clarence wannabes playing jam sessions.

By the second hour of the Hall & Oates act, large groups of people had left and if my daughter had not wanted to stay I would have been gone as well. They ended their boring act without playing several of their hits and many fans were disappointed. Lo and behold there is an encore with two of their hits which should have been played during the regular show. All in all, a complete waste of money. I am of the opinion that these old and tired acts should just stop touring but as long as there is money to be made they appear ready to bore us to tears until the well runs dry.

https://www.oregonlive.com/music/index. ... ng_in.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Can Hall & Oates keep touring into their 90s?

Postby conjurer » August 13th 2018, 9:06am

They weren't that great in the 1980s.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » August 13th 2018, 12:00pm

Ack. Soul-free blue-eyed soul hacks...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » August 13th 2018, 12:11pm

I heard Daryl’s TV show, Live from Daryl’s house, was pretty good. This concert sounds awful.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » August 13th 2018, 1:28pm

Send them to Guam. We're starving for entertainment out here! Air Supply played out here last year and they were great despite the lead singer barely able to move around anymore. I heard he had an issue with his colon, but he hit was able to still hit all the high notes.
artman
Master of Time

Postby smellody » August 13th 2018, 2:06pm

You don't want them Art. They were horrible.

Doesn't look like Ticketmaster posted my review.

Instead of playing hits they played weird jazzy jam sessions. Way too much "artisitc" license.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » August 13th 2018, 3:08pm

nimbleboy wrote:Ack. Soul-free blue-eyed soul hacks...

"Hacks" considered legitimate enough by Philly and other soul/R&B acts that they could and did headline the Uptown (and the Apollo in Harlem), and pretty much get who they want to sing with 'em.

David Ruffin on the 80s benefit concert at the Apollo Theater in Harlem for the United Negro College Fund:
"They could have easily done the show without us. We needed them more than they needed us. It was a nice gesture by those good ol' white boys. They've done stuff for us that black folks couldn't do because they've got the power. It was good of them to remember us. You get used to selfish people in this business. It's a surprise when something unselfish happens."

Smokey Robinson on Daryl Hall:
Daryl is my brother, man. So, we had a ball that day. You go up to Daryl’s House, eat, sit around and play some music—play some of his, play some of mine—and we just had a ball that day, man. It was great fun, absolutely...Yeah, like I said, Daryl is my brother. He’s a good dude, man.

Racer-X wrote:I heard Daryl’s TV show, Live from Daryl’s house, was pretty good. This concert sounds awful.

Live at Daryl's House is probably the single best recurring musical show available right now, with a guest cast that puts others to shame, including such " soul hacks" as The O'Jays, Wyclef Jean, Darius Rucker, Chiddy Bang, CeeLo Green, Keb Mo', Blind Boys Of Alabama, Booker T. Jones, Maxi Priest, Billy Ocean, Toots and the Maytals, and Smokey Robinson

As for "weren't that great in the 80s"...well, they are the largest selling pop/rock duo in history. And, at his best, I'm not sure if *any* soul singer--white or black--was better than Hall (and John Oates has always been a very skilled singer, too). There's good reason Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff offered them a record deal back in the day--even if H&O declined the offer at the time.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on August 13th 2018, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » August 13th 2018, 4:36pm

Gotta agree. Schlock.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AlbertaTime » August 13th 2018, 5:39pm

TemerityB wrote:

Gotta agree. Schlock.

Oh, I know...just no-accounts, really..nothing authentic about 'em...

Daryl and Smokey...doing covers, for crying out loud...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » August 13th 2018, 6:06pm

That video was great.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » August 13th 2018, 6:09pm

Music is probably the toughest business in the universe. Everybody has different preferences. Some hate country. Some cannot fathom jazz. Others hate rock. Every genre is not for everybody.
But to have success in any category, especially on a "top ten" or "global" level is rare and not a fluke.
If you are making a living in music-you're damn good.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » August 13th 2018, 6:21pm

His watch @4:56 looks interesting...
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » August 13th 2018, 9:01pm

They posted my feedback!

star_unfilled
star_unfilled
star_unfilled
star_unfilled
star
By CJHinSalem on 08/12/18

Hall & Oates Flop

Moda Center - Portland

The venue was fine. The concert was horrible. Left 45 minutes into the show. They played one 80's hit. Artists too interested in showing off their "artisitc" jazzy stuff. ... but NOT my bag and not what I paid $100 to see and hear. VERY disappointed.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » August 13th 2018, 9:02pm

Acts I won't ever see live again are too numerous. Fat, 80s rockstars out of breath from walking across the stage, former superstars who can't recall lyrics, drunk 1-5 hit wonders who should just roll over and die.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » August 13th 2018, 9:21pm

I saw the Eagles and Frankie Valli earlier this year. They did NOT disappoint. Amazing!!!!!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » August 13th 2018, 10:03pm

Interestingly, I saw Frank Sinatra in 1993 at the Washington State Fair. It was a great concert, easily one of the finest I've seen. This was only a few years before his death, and he stumbled over the lyrics of a few songs, but he was up there for a couple of hours, and he sounded good, and the crowd loved him.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » August 14th 2018, 4:28am

conjurer wrote:Interestingly, I saw Frank Sinatra in 1993 at the Washington State Puyallup Fair

Fixed it for you John!

I had seen Heart at the same fairgrounds a few times, fortunately they played most of their older stuff with some Led Zeppelin cover material thrown in. Awesome concert if you have the opportunity. BTW, Ann Wilson can still sing as well as she did in the seventies.

Another Cecil;
Went with another couple to a Black Sabbath farewell concert two (?) years ago at the Tacoma Dome, we loved it, they not so much.
Seems the other couple went to hear a bunch of Ozzy Osborne music............... and all they played was Black Sabbath at the Black Sabbath concert.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » August 14th 2018, 6:59am

The wife and I went to Willy Nelson's New Year's Eve concert 12/31/2017 in Austin..at about age 85, he mouthed the words to some of his hits, bit couldn't sing them...it was a disappointing evening despite the copious levels of alcohol consumed...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » August 15th 2018, 8:08am

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » August 15th 2018, 8:22pm

Funny how some older artists age so gracefully, while others don't. I am amazed how Paul Rogers (Bad Company singer, saw him just last night), James Taylor, Burton Cummings, Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals, Judy Collins, both Graham Nash and David Crosby, John Hiatt, and a handful of others still sound the same and continue to provide really good concerts. Even Tower Of Power is as good as they ever were.

And I'll tell you what: I even kind of admire some older artists I didn't even care for at all back in the day. I went to a traveling oldies show and I had to admit The Cowsills - never liked that kind of music at ALL - but I heard them live and they sounded INCREDIBLE as singers. Caught a glimpse of a Mickey Dolenz show and I was astounded at how professional it all was.

On the other end of the spectrum? I've attended some horrifically bad performances by legends such as Chuck Berry, Todd Rundgren, Bo Diddley, War, Fleetwood Mac, bands billed as 'The Guess Who' and 'Little River Band' that had NO original members, and so on. There are artists that are pros then there are others just hanging on to make a buck.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » August 15th 2018, 10:21pm

TemerityB wrote:Caught a glimpse of a Mickey Dolenz show and I was astounded at how professional it all was.

Interestingly, and to totally Cecil this thread, a good friend of mine back in Chicago told me a somewhat amusing story.

This guy, whom I've known since high school, was between marriages and out on the dating scene, and suffering through numerous blind dates. On one date he went to dinner with a pretty attractive divorcee. Things were going well after the meal and they went for a walk. This pal of mine, who I will refer to as Joe, was somewhat worried; all the women he'd dated over the last few months had turned out to be psychopaths, but this date was going well, they were getting along well, etc. He was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It dropped pretty soon. They started talking about what they liked and didn't like, and the woman said that she was totally addicted to the old Monkees shows. She told Joe that she had every episode recorded on Betamax tapes, and sometimes, when she was really depressed, she would microwave a big dish of Spaghettios, covered with Cheez Whiz, and sit there and eat the whole thing while watching a Monkees episode on her Betamax, and feel good again.

Now Joe happens to be something of a foodie, and he told me that when he heard this, he literally vomited in his mouth a little bit. The idea of somebody nuking a big bowl of Spaghettios, covered with Cheez Whiz, and then watching an episode of The Monkees, which he loathed, confirmed that this was, indeed, the other shoe dropping.

So he told her, "I've got a friend who lives in Hawaii and knows Peter Tork; and he informs me that Peter Tork's a total goddamn faggot."

Obviously, there was no second date.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else