WARNING graphic. Sniper

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

WARNING graphic. Sniper

Postby Wasp » March 13th 2018, 11:17am

Here is what desensitizes our children to killing with guns.

I know it's old but I have not seen this before.
I'd be very surprised if this was faked. I have never seen pixi dust faked like this before. Audio may be added for effect.
Second shot through and through and hits the car.

I loathe snipers.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Re: WARNING graphic. Sniper

Postby foghorn » March 13th 2018, 11:42am

How come he shot through a closed window? :roll:

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » March 13th 2018, 12:20pm

Fake, look how the scope moves in the through-the-lens view between first and second shot. Too smooth, no judder during shot either.
Blood looks like Photoshop addition too.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » March 13th 2018, 12:27pm

I'm betting fake. The transitions between video of the shooter and video through the scope are more reminiscent of movie-making or a video game with POV changes.

I am strangely reminded of this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... ge-7406096

Also it appears to be a US neighborhood complete with USPS approved mailbox. If anything like that happened and it was domestic we'd have 24 hour coverage like Ruby Ridge or Waco. And they photoshopped too much blood into the first shot given the actor crawling off immediately after. And if it was FBI there wouldn't have been a follow up shot unless we wanted another Lon Horiuchi episode.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » March 13th 2018, 1:09pm

VERY good FX, but, as Fogburt mentioned, how DID he shoot thru a closed window, hmmm? And something else; that first shot, had it hit where it apparently did, would have been absolutely & instantly fatal, and the poor victim couldn't have crawled away as he did. Even if it were NOT fatal, it would have almost certainly paralyzed the poor guy from the chest down... Very good FX, though; I liked it...I pretended it was slowpo.
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech is cantankerous" - Zhuangzi
Mortuus

Postby Wasp » March 13th 2018, 2:31pm

Some observation for consideration.
Depends where the first round hit, crawled on adrenaline I think it blew a lung out. If it severed the spine he would have been paralyzed. Falls under he's dead but doesn't know it yet. He would have bled out in minutes after the first shot anyway.
I have seen a spotting scope wired for video recording. That was the spotting scope film. The window could be slightly cracked, the gun barrel angle is not straight but pointing right . Could be firing through a slit at an angle. I hope the whole thing is fake, but I don't know. 1st shot arterial bleed as he crawls, two big pumps on the snow. After the initial overpressure of the arterial system from the shock wave the tikker tries to pump. After the second shot that was a sack of potatoes hitting the deck. A human faking the second hit would not fall like that.

Man I'm having a hard time seeing this as fake.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » March 13th 2018, 2:46pm

Saw the truck hit with "through and through", but why did the damage to the truck disappear?
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » March 13th 2018, 3:01pm

A film-making channel testing their blood VFX, nothing more IMO. The video description says "Just a little test with Action Essentials blood."

'Action Essentials' is a $249 stock footage elements package for VFX and motion graphics and includes a blood effect.

https://www.videocopilot.net/products/action2/

Tons of other videos on YouTube show a similar effect when searching for 'Action Essentials blood'.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » March 13th 2018, 3:10pm

Wasp wrote:Some observation for consideration.
Depends where the first round hit, crawled on adrenaline I think it blew a lung out. If it severed the spine he would have been paralyzed. Falls under he's dead but doesn't know it yet. He would have bled out in minutes after the first shot anyway.
I have seen a spotting scope wired for video recording. That was the spotting scope film. The window could be slightly cracked, the gun barrel angle is not straight but pointing right . Could be firing through a slit at an angle. I hope the whole thing is fake, but I don't know. 1st shot arterial bleed as he crawls, two big pumps on the snow. After the initial overpressure of the arterial system from the shock wave the tikker tries to pump. After the second shot that was a sack of potatoes hitting the deck. A human faking the second hit would not fall like that.

Man I'm having a hard time seeing this as fake.

Perhaps.

But if it was real it's unlikely it would open with credits for the film maker (which it did). If viewed on youtube it's clearly marked as a trial of Action Essentials Blood.

Spotting scope reticules when provided are generally more informative than a simple mil-dot as shown. The Leupold Mk-4 spotter is similar but used mostly with semi auto teams (XM-110).

The shooters face is partially visible - perhaps enough for facial recognition software to get a bite on - the likelihood of the shooter's face showing up in a real video is pretty slim.

Medically speaking the dude's adrenalin was on the snow. And falling as shown after the second shot isn't implausible - it's snow after all and ten seconds after the video stopped recording he was probably making a snow angel.

But perhaps the single best reason to believe it's fake is that no evidence is offered to suggest it's real. The video itself doesn't say it's real and certainly offers no evidence of such other than its existence which really isn't much given the current state of the art in movies and even video games. "Fake" is the most straightforward surmise.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » March 13th 2018, 3:29pm

A return to the good old days of Snuff Films!!!

foghorn

Postby conjurer » March 13th 2018, 3:33pm

foghorn wrote:A return to the good old days of Snuff Films!!!

Kind of what I was thinking, too. Why the fuck are we even looking at this??

BTW, didn't it turn out that snuff films were some sort of urban legend?
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 13th 2018, 3:35pm

conjurer wrote:

Indeed, but they still pushed 'em out. Quality stuff. Right up there in quality as my favorite director, Ed Wood.

foghorn

Postby conjurer » March 13th 2018, 3:54pm

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Indeed, but they still pushed 'em out. Quality stuff. Right up there in quality as my favorite director, Ed Wood.

Interestingly, while snuff films were apparently nothing more than a fictionalized fad, there was another series of films from the 1970s and 80s that largely went unreported. Called "Snuffy Smith" films, they were a weird mix of animation and live action, where the title character:

Snuffy Smith, AKA "The Turdpusher", would anally rape and murder men who came south from the northern states, usually carpetbaggers, although a couple Tennessee Valley Authority hydro-engineers also came to a blunt end from Snuffy's manly sabre.
While the veracity of these films has been questioned, the very popular newspaper cartoon Barney Google and Snuffy Smith did sometimes display unsettling imagery:

I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » March 13th 2018, 4:03pm

Directed by Russ Meyer
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » March 13th 2018, 4:32pm

Wasp wrote:Here is what desensitizes our children to killing with guns.

Nah, the kids of today would have seen that for what it was.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » March 13th 2018, 4:45pm

How much Wasp and Hawk know about snipers and murder and stuff is amazing and scares the shit out of me. I won't ever mess with either of you in real life. But with the tech I have at my disposal, I think I could reproduce these effects if I wanted to. I'd say this was a fake too. Just don't kill me for saying so.
artman
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » March 13th 2018, 5:25pm

artman wrote:How much Wasp and Hawk know about snipers and murder and stuff is amazing and scares the shit out of me. I won't ever mess with either of you in real life. But with the tech I have at my disposal, I think I could reproduce these effects if I wanted to. I'd say this was a fake too. Just don't kill me for saying so.

I'd wager you could do a better job of it. Slowing it down some suggests it's not just too much blood - it's blood going in the wrong ass direction. The blood is clearly obscuring the victim's jacket at 0:43 which would happen if he was shot from the front.

FWIW I'm no sniper expert. The only thing I've shot at long range was paper.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » March 13th 2018, 6:15pm

I would assert that the first snuff film was the Zapruder film, IMHO...
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech is cantankerous" - Zhuangzi
Mortuus

Return to Anything and Everything Else