RIP Preston Shannon

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

RIP Preston Shannon

Postby TemerityB » January 24th 2018, 8:44pm

Gonna bring up my blues past just for a moment: Preston Shannon of Memphis was a really great blues musician, one of Memphis' best. Absolutely one of the most memorable shows I ever have done was Koko Taylor, Preston Shannon, and my band all on the same bill on the same night, at the BB King Blues Club in Memphis for a special Labor Day show about 19 years ago, if I recall correctly.

Preston Shannon was a great guitarist, smooth singer, and really an enjoyable performer. All my band got into the guy after I passed some of his CDs aroud, and while he never got to be famous as others, he was about as good as it gets. I'm feeling sad since I just found out about this; he was really nice to me. Rest in peace, Mr. Shannon. If any of you enjoy blues with an R&B bent, he is a must-listen.

From the Memphis Commercial Appeal:
Singer and Beale Street fixture Preston Shannon has died. The veteran Memphis R&B performer, who has battled cancer since the summer, was 70. News of his passing was confirmed by friends on Monday.

As word of Shannon's passing spread on social media, fans, fellow artists and local music institutions were quick to pay tribute. Noted guitarist Eric Gales posted "Preston Shannon. Wow. No more pain. Rest friend. Icon." The Stax Museum of American Soul Music tweeted out: "Mourning the loss of our friend and King of Beale Street Preston Shannon. Synonymous with #memphismusic. Very sad."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 053361001/
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: RIP Preston Shannon

Postby biglove » January 24th 2018, 10:47pm

☹️
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » January 24th 2018, 11:13pm

I can tell by just a few tunes--he was the real deal, wasn't he.

Tone comes from the person, not the equipment.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » January 25th 2018, 11:17am

AlbertaTime wrote:I can tell by just a few tunes--he was the real deal, wasn't he.

Tone comes from the person, not the equipment.

Absolutely. And real greatness comes from the soul, not from record sales tallies.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Anything and Everything Else