A Little Jewish Boy's Xmas

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

A Little Jewish Boy's Xmas

Postby tiktok » December 24th 2017, 3:47pm

My first real experience of a NYC Jewish Xmas was when I was eight. My parents basically ignored the Xmas holiday though my father always joked that the holiday lights were in honor of his birthday on the 26th.

Anyway my parents were away and I was staying with Uncle Bob and Aunt Rita. My mother who was an "intellectual" really poo-poohed my gritty cousins. Uncle Bob was a stockbroker but much to my mother's dislike he loved the ponies and took his wife and my two cousins to Saratoga every August and lived at the track while leaving the kids to their own devices.

Anyway to make a long story short it was Xmas day in 1960-something and I'm with my uncle et al and Uncle Bob says it is time for Xmas dinner. I'm in the dark but we go out and take the train from Washington Heights downtown to Chinatown. We go to WoHop, anyone who knows NY Chinatow knows WoHop it is the ultimate Chinese joint in the city. Anyway, we sit down around one of those lazy Susan tables. Of course Bob knows the waiter and they confer. After a few minutes this big red spider is on the table. My parents kept a kosher kitchen and I had never tasted pork and shellfish in my life and had both that night. Damned if I didn't love both. My aunt had me swear not to tell my mother. It was the first of many wonderful Xmas meals. Tomorrow we'll go to Flushing where New York's second Chinatown is pumping out the chow for me on Xmas. Hope everyone eats with people you love on Xmas day.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: A Little Jewish Boy's Xmas

Postby smellody » December 25th 2017, 8:11am

What a great memory! It must have been a shocking experience. Good of Uncle Bob!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 25th 2017, 8:35am

tok, I think it's gonna be the exact same thing for us - Chinese buffet for Christmas. A lil' Dim Sum sounds good!
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Rusty » December 25th 2017, 9:24am

The top Chinese restaurant here could conduct high holiday services today with the number of Jewish customers in attendance. Last year, there was three hour wait for a table or take-out. This year, my wife suggested we order take-out yesterday for a today pickup.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate, happy Kwanzaa, and a happy new year to all the watchlords.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » December 25th 2017, 2:07pm

TB, You go to Joe's Shanghai in Frushing, that's the dim sum king of F(r)ushing. We went early to "Secret Kitchen" which specializes in food from Dong Bei northern province, very spicy. I had cumin and chili spiced lamb chops and we split the annual crab.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 25th 2017, 3:12pm

Didn't go to Joe's but we did enjoy some buffet - unfortunately, didn't think of taking a pic until it was almost too late...
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » December 26th 2017, 6:26am

Again... over to the Feldmans' Christmas day. Pre dinner ritual of behind the barn shooting guns and detonating tannerite. Uncle Bob went on up ahead this past year and I miss him dearly.
OH3 Korean war vet. Chemical Engineer with a notable career at Exxon, VP in the Chemical division and was part of the team that developed synth oil for the company. Bob in blue jeans talking with you like a favorite son was his calling card. My Jewish relatives Christmas celebrations are always fulfilling.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else