Watchlord WIS

Re: Shinola’s $600 headphones

Postby Pubbie » December 20th 2017, 2:55pm

Well, it works for Beats...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 20th 2017, 3:20pm

Pubbie wrote:Well, it works for Beats...

I can’t hear worth a damn but barring some truly exceptional headphones, most are way overpriced, Beats definitely included.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » December 20th 2017, 4:43pm

Huge LOL.

You can get Audio Technica ATH-M50's for $130 that will piss all over anything Beats or Shinola ever released.

https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/ath-m50/review

You can pick up Sennheiser 650's for $300 that will blow away anything up to $1200.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/sen ... -massdrop/
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 20th 2017, 8:48pm

One of the best lines I've ever read came from, as I recall, CNet, whose review of Beats actually include this line:

"Beats sound like ass."
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » December 20th 2017, 9:03pm

Shinola - We can overprice ANYTHING! Save America!
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2017, 10:40pm

bedlam wrote:Huge LOL.

You can get Audio Technica ATH-M50's for $130 that will piss all over anything Beats or Shinola ever released.

https://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/ath-m50/review

You can pick up Sennheiser 650's for $300 that will blow away anything up to $1200.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/sen ... -massdrop/

Yup. Sennheiser makes the best cans, period. Shinola can suck my motherfucking dick.*

*"Suck my motherfucking dick" gag ©2016 Reclinervision 2020 and Laff Riot Partners, Pty. All rights reserved, you fucking bogans.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » December 21st 2017, 3:48am

TemerityB wrote:One of the best lines I've ever read came from, as I recall, CNet, whose review of Beats actually include this line:

"Beats sound like ass."

...and ass doesn't usually sound too good :D

That's the thing - all you need are hipsters with too much disposable because they're not saving for a desposit, a shit ton of breathless social media hype (the headphone equivalent of Hodinkee. I don't know what it is, but it's a cast-iron guarantee that it exists) and some schleb to hawk it on the internet for you, and you got yourself a business model. And don't forget to make a bit of it out of wood, "so it looks like it was designed in the '70s".

:roll:
Last edited by Pubbie on December 21st 2017, 9:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 21st 2017, 6:38am

Last time I wore headphones was during an MRI. Before that it was with my Sony Walkman. I like to keep up with the latest audio equipment. I'm currently looking for a decent Technics double cassette deck. The Heathkit died last week.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » December 21st 2017, 7:45am

I also really like my Sennheisers. I bought the 555s when they were the best I could afford. They're great for watching movies.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 21st 2017, 8:33am

Proud to stand among a group that knows A-T and Sennheiser. I'll take it a step further - Sennheiser makes the best set of folding portable cans I've ever heard, and their full-sized HD 4.20s sound as good as $500 headphones and feel soft and light and comfortable. My only advice about headphones is to try them on in a retail store, since everyone's ear is different. Oh, and avoid any $600 headphones. I've recorded five albums, two in major recording studios, and I guarantee you any cans I used in the booth never cost anywhere near 600 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4N1PZ6/_e ... CT9O&psc=0
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » December 21st 2017, 8:35am

foghorn wrote:Last time I wore headphones was during an MRI. Before that it was with my Sony Walkman. I like to keep up with the latest audio equipment. I'm currently looking for a decent Technics double cassette deck. The Heathkit died last week.

Well, better fire up the Commodore 64....
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby WatchDorks.Net » December 22nd 2017, 8:54pm

Ahh, a topic near and dear to my heart, enough to dredge me out of LurkMode.

I've always been a hifi nut, going back to the mid-1980s when I first heard the Polk Audio SDA line (it was THE shit at the time). From the small Monitor 5s, to 7s, 10s, and up through the SDA-2, SDA-1, SDA-CRS, and the flagship SDA-SRS, towering at 6-feet tall and weighing 150+ lbs per speaker. The whole line was based on using passive radiators for bass rather than active woofers. They wouldn't thump your walls, but they cave you clean, deep, responsive bass.

The Monitor/SDA line still has an active following in the collector community, and I still have a pair of the Monitor 7s and SDA 1C.

But I digress...

Fuck Beats and Dr. Dre. Fuck 'em in the ear, I say. Beats, Bose, Monster, and these Shinola POS's. All created by companies that put far more money into advertising than R&D. Any time you might be considering buying ANYTHING from any of these companies, alarm bells should be going off in your head: with a little research, you can get far better at far lower prices.

Now headphones... I still have 2 pairs of Sennheiser HD-590 from about 2000-2001; not the top end of the Sennheiser line with respect to fidelity, but THE most comfortable over-the-ear headphones you could imagine. Being tied to the computer at my day job, it's not uncommon for me to wear headphones for 8 hours straight... which is where most cans fall over and sink into the swamp.

Over the last 2 years, I've been experimenting with many different sets of headphones, spending a lot of time over at http://www.head-fi.org. Similar to Watchgeeks, WUS, or any other type of afficionado forum, where the flavor du jour seems to be prevalent... you've gotta take things with several grains of salt.

I run my headphones off a Marantz HD-DAC1 (USB line out freom my desktop computer to the DAC).

My current daily drivers are Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany (sold on Massdrop along with Onyx and Ebony variants). I tend to buy most headphones on the used market to get more bang for the buck. They're not as neutral as most Sennheiser models, having a bit more of a V signature, but they're more fun and not fatiguing.

Other headphones I've purchased for comparison and either returned or re-sold:

Audeze LCD-2
Audeze LCD-X
Oppo PM-3
Hifiman HE-400i
Monoprice 1060 (v1 and v2)

My alternate set of headphones are Koss ESP-950 electrostatic headphones (competitor to Stax electrostats). Koss has been making this same model for over 20 years, and most of what you will find out there are NOS. Unique in that this model has a lifetime transferrable warranty. If anything goes wrong with either the headphones or accompanying energizer/amplifier, you just pack it up with a check for $20 for return shipping and they will repair or replace, no questions asked. A real sleeper set of headphones.

Electrostatics are an acquired taste: Very accurate, very neutral, very detailed... but you're not going to get a lot of bass. Superb. for classical, jazz, new age, etc.

Now... if you're looking to get into decent sounding headphones without spending a whole lot of money...

First, look at Monoprice. For those unfamiliar with the company, Monoprice is the company to go to for any type of cable or adapter (audio, video, computer, you name it). They have also branched out into producing their own speakers, amps, headphones, etc. All made in China, and some of the designs are clones (wait, should I use "homage" here?) of more established brands.

Second, a recent discovery (within the last month) is a Chinese brand named Taxstar, specifically their "Pro-82" headphones:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 54492.html

It's aliexpress, so choosing sellers is a minefield. The one I linked to above is the actual manufacturer of the headphones, and I personally ordered from them. I received the headphones inside 2 weeks.

Don't be fooled by the cheap price. They are exceptionally well built, insanely comfortable, and play significantly above their price point. In fact, I might be replacing my Fostex with these. Very detailed and wide soundstage.

I won't say they will compete with $1,000 headphones, but they will easily compete with headphones in the $300-600 range.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » December 23rd 2017, 5:51am

Shinola: making Detroit great again....
"Most of the components inside them, however, are manufactured overseas."
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » December 23rd 2017, 6:55am

Audio gear priced based on advertising budget? Unheard of!

Still, these are some of the funniest questions and reviews ever:

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Termi ... op?ie=UTF8

Although shown as "not available" they were priced at 6,800.00 previously.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » December 23rd 2017, 8:58am

WatchDorks.Net wrote:Ahh, a topic near and dear to my heart, enough to dredge me out of LurkMode.

First off, you shouldn't be lurking, you should be posting till yer fingers turn red.

Second, this was an exceptional post and a real primer on cans. Well done!

You mentioned Koss, and they make a small, traditional set of portable headphones that's pretty much a miracle - the Koss KTXPRO1, which have been on the market for only about four decades; the titanium drivers produce amazing clear bass, and if you shop around you can find new pairs for about 15 to 20 bucks without even breaking a sweat. Anyone I've recommended them to has been amazed and ends up thanking me for the tip (these are portables so they're lightweight). Spending 600 bucks on headphones is like spending 1,300 on an Invicter Bolt with diamonds - WTF could you possibly be thinking.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » December 23rd 2017, 12:35pm

I don't even use headphones like that, I use the little ear buds if I'm away from home. At home I just play and listen, I don't need headphones at home.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else