"Cecil, thou art avenged!"

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

"Cecil, thou art avenged!"

Postby Falstaff » April 19th 2017, 11:28am

A anonymous cry came from the crowd as the guillotine blade fell toward the neck of Louis XVI - "Jacques DeMolay, thou art avenged!"

http://www.aol.co.uk/travel/2017/04/19/ ... -zimbabwe/
Last edited by Falstaff on April 19th 2017, 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Re: "Cecil, thou art avenged!"

Postby conjurer » April 19th 2017, 11:30am

This made me smile broadly.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » April 19th 2017, 11:50am

eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 19th 2017, 11:52am

The only sad thing about this is that they had to cut open the alligators.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » April 19th 2017, 12:40pm

conjurer wrote:The only sad thing about this is that they had to cut open the alligators.

Them are hornback Nile crocs - not gaters.

Hawk's gittin' him some new boots!
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » April 19th 2017, 12:48pm

Hawk wrote:
conjurer wrote:The only sad thing about this is that they had to cut open the alligators.

Them are hornback Nile crocs - not gaters.

Hawk's gittin' him some new boots!

Put me on the list for a couple of watch straps - in memory of Cecil of course.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » April 19th 2017, 1:31pm

Where is Steve Irwin when you need him?

Huh? What???

(added 11:04 pdt 20181021)
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » April 19th 2017, 2:29pm

Think the government of Zimbabwe (that for personal reasons I still call Rhodesia) should allow open hunting Safaris to track and actually kill the trackers, rich assholes that can afford to go to Africa and other associate pieces of shit, complete with price money ....
Personally I wouldn't mind taking my picture holding the like Mr van Zyl lifeless body with a .458 Winchester Magnum hole on his side , it would benefit the local crocodiles population and proceeds will be donated to any animal sanctuary .... a win-win solution
eddiea

Postby 3Flushes » April 19th 2017, 3:08pm

eddiea wrote:Think the government of Zimbabwe (that for personal reasons I still call Rhodesia) should allow open hunting Safaris to track and actually kill the trackers, rich assholes that can afford to go to Africa and other associate pieces of shit, complete with price money ....
Personally I wouldn't mind taking my picture holding the like Mr van Zyl lifeless body with a .458 Winchester Magnum hole on his side , it would benefit the local crocodiles population and proceeds will be donated to any animal sanctuary .... a win-win solution

Sign me up, eddie.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » April 19th 2017, 3:41pm

While perhaps a pleasant scenario to ponder it appeared to me that the vast majority of those that got spun up over the earlier Cecil issue would wet themselves if they ever stepped foot in Zimbabwe and found themselves without a keyboard and broadband internet connection.

Perhaps Eddie and Flushes would do PETA proud but I fear 99% of the balance were all internet outrage and zero balls. If one can accomplish what one wishes from behind a keyboard why bother with a .416 Rigby Double?

The zeitgeist marches on. In the middle part of the 20th century trophy hunting was encouraged, then it was tolerated. In 2017 it's socially censured but still legal for the ones with the funds.

Standing athwart someone adept with a safari rifle while he's engaged in a legal activity takes more heuvos than hitting "share" on Facebook. And it always will. Perhaps better to just sit back and let the occasional Nile hornback do what nature intended. To the benefit of my footwear.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 19th 2017, 4:07pm

Zeitgeist! Zeitgeist!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » April 19th 2017, 4:11pm

conjurer wrote:Zeitgeist! Zeitgeist!!

If your next novel is about anything else I shall be most disappointed.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » April 19th 2017, 5:42pm

Hawk wrote:. Perhaps better to just sit back and let the occasional Nile hornback do what nature intended.

I know you are right yet I'm positive the pictured leopard will disagree with any logical or legal reasonings just before the motherfucker shot him dead for no reason...personally, I think that any individual abusing or killing an animal for pleasure or no reason, doesn't deserve to live
eddiea

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 19th 2017, 6:37pm

It's kind of interesting, that change in how we perceive hunting... Especially hunting dangerous game in Africa. In the 19th century, and well until the 1940s-1950s, it was in a way revered as something for those, who are anything but faint of heart. I'd bet that Hemingway would disagree with the current trend of deriding it. Then again, making a mix of business and sport out of it, largely makes it turn into something vulgar. I mean, someone facing a charging lion or a buffalo is one thing, and a group of fat, middle-aged men stuffing an antelope with lead from the back of a 4x4 is another.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 19th 2017, 7:46pm

Hawk wrote:Standing athwart someone adept with a safari rifle while he's engaged in a legal activity takes more heuvos than hitting "share" on Facebook. And it always will. Perhaps better to just sit back and let the occasional Nile hornback do what nature intended. To the benefit of my footwear.

Yeah- takes balls alright to to stand by and defend any behavior merely because it's legal; the balls of a flea and the brains of a moth, and it always will.

Here's to dying with one's boots on.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » April 19th 2017, 8:13pm

3Flushes wrote:
Hawk wrote:Standing athwart someone adept with a safari rifle while he's engaged in a legal activity takes more heuvos than hitting "share" on Facebook. And it always will. Perhaps better to just sit back and let the occasional Nile hornback do what nature intended. To the benefit of my footwear.

Yeah- takes balls alright to to stand by and defend any behavior merely because it's legal; the balls of a flea and the brains of a moth, and it always will.

I would suppose that the amount of balls required to note that it's legal behavior is roughly equivalent to the amount of balls needed to pound one's chest suggesting you'll do anything more than whine. Vocally.

Get your ass over there and I'll retract.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » April 19th 2017, 8:25pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:It's kind of interesting, that change in how we perceive hunting... Especially hunting dangerous game in Africa. In the 19th century, and well until the 1940s-1950s, it was in a way revered as something for those, who are anything but faint of heart. I'd bet that Hemingway would disagree with the current trend of deriding it. Then again, making a mix of business and sport out of it, largely makes it turn into something vulgar. I mean, someone facing a charging lion or a buffalo is one thing, and a group of fat, middle-aged men stuffing an antelope with lead from the back of a 4x4 is another.

Or the taking of a chemically or physically restrained animal, or an animal baited from a preserve and poached, or any animal otherwise unlawfully or unethically taken or slaughtered, the result of combining a sport with a business geared to those of means who are accustomed to circumventing the law generally, the entitlement conditioned by their financial status and hierarchical values.
Last edited by 3Flushes on April 19th 2017, 11:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 19th 2017, 8:32pm

Hawk wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

I would suppose that the amount of balls required to note that it's legal behavior is roughly equivalent to the amount of balls needed to pound one's chest suggesting you'll do anything more than whine. Vocally.

Get your ass over there and I'll retract.

I haven't the funds to go to the big bad jungle, however, I have noted here at WL the many occasions, at least a few of them, that I have courageously faced down very dangerous predators with a rifle from a hundred yards in the big bad mountains. It took tremendous courage indeed. </sarc>

I've also talked about my fishermaning and appreciation for hunting and fishing pursued in a sportsmanlike manner. With your superlative search skills I'm certain you could easily track them down (track them down, get it?) if you are so inclined in your mind to.

Meantime, lets see some pics of those boots you made out of animals you slaughtered, skinned, and whose hides you tanned, or were those big balls of yours grown by pushing the PAY button on your Amazon cart?

זויגן מיין האָן

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » April 20th 2017, 6:59am

Hawk wrote:While perhaps a pleasant scenario to ponder it appeared to me that the vast majority of those that got spun up over the earlier Cecil issue would wet themselves if they ever stepped foot in Zimbabwe and found themselves without a keyboard and broadband internet connection.

Perhaps Eddie and Flushes would do PETA proud but I fear 99% of the balance were all internet outrage and zero balls. If one can accomplish what one wishes from behind a keyboard why bother with a .416 Rigby Double?

The zeitgeist marches on. In the middle part of the 20th century trophy hunting was encouraged, then it was tolerated. In 2017 it's socially censured but still legal for the ones with the funds.

Standing athwart someone adept with a safari rifle while he's engaged in a legal activity takes more heuvos than hitting "share" on Facebook. And it always will. Perhaps better to just sit back and let the occasional Nile hornback do what nature intended. To the benefit of my footwear.

Ever fired a .416 Rigby double rifle? Might as well snug a stick of dynamite up against your shootin' shoulder and set it off. Something I won't voluntarily do again - I'll take that fucking keyboard any day! By the bye, I just can't work up the same warm and fuzzy feelings for the Nile krokodil as I can for the martyred Cecil. They're closer to soulless, robotic killing machines than just about any other animal on Earth. They're not endangered - there are millions of 'em and they gobble up thousands of unwary but tasty Africans each year as well as each other. I'm not advocating extermination or wholesale slaughter in the name of Tony Lama - after all somebody's gotta eat baby hippos and such, I'm just saying that I find it difficult to view them in the same rosy glow that envelops the saintly Cecil. Let's just say I'm exhibiting "mammalian privilege" and let it go at that....
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » April 20th 2017, 7:24am

Falstaff wrote:Ever fired a .416 Rigby double rifle? Might as well snug a stick of dynamite up against your shootin' shoulder and set it off. Something I won't voluntarily do again - I'll take that fucking keyboard any day! By the bye, I just can't work up the same warm and fuzzy feelings for the Nile krokodil as I can for the martyred Cecil. They're closer to soulless, robotic killing machines than just about any other animal on Earth. They're not endangered - there are millions of 'em and they gobble up thousands of unwary but tasty Africans each year as well as each other. I'm not advocating extermination or wholesale slaughter in the name of Tony Lama - after all somebody's gotta eat baby hippos and such, I'm just saying that I find it difficult to view them in the same rosy glow that envelops the saintly Cecil. Let's just say I'm exhibiting "mammalian privilege" and let it go at that....

Worse: I owned and made heavy use of a Ruger 1H in .416 Rigby. Possibly the lightest rifle chambered for that old round. A properly "serious" Rigby would be a double but that second barrel impacts the cost exponentially rather than linearly.

But I would concede it never drew blood. I however did dispatch a lot of paper and contributed to accelerated wear and tear on the baffles of at least two indoor ranges. It currently resides with a fellow workplace guy in central Florida. It hasn't been fired much since he bought it - something about the cost of rounds.

Mammalian privilege is understandable. After all those crocs are exotherms which I believe qualifies them as literally "cold blooded". I myself would never consider wearing Cecil as footwear even if I was unconcerned with being chased by an incensed Bob Barker. Since my personal moral compass suggests I'm ok with the status quo vis a vis legal hunting the proper course of action for me is sitting my dead ass on a couch. This is both convenient and serendipitous. Those that would effect change admittedly have it much tougher. I do miss that Ruger though.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » August 21st 2018, 3:58pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby 3Flushes » August 21st 2018, 6:20pm

TFAH

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Anything and Everything Else