The Ferdinand Berthoud movement

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

The Ferdinand Berthoud movement

Postby koimaster » May 25th 2018, 8:45am

The Ferdinand Berthoud movement, stripped bare, gives up its secrets

A historical and technical journey inside a stunningly original movement.

It’s rare to even come across one. To see one dismantled, even rarer. So to be present to watch one being reassembled by master watchmakers at the manufacture is the stuff of dreams. And yet, that’s what happened on 17 May. WorldTempus was able to witness the dismantling and reassembly of the Ferdinand Berthoud manufacture movement, in the company of three of the brand’s watchmakers. It was a unique opportunity to get up close and personal with one of the most original movements in the watchmaking world.

Everything in its place (but upside-down)

The FB1 calibre is fundamentally different from any other, primarily because it turns many of the usual watchmaking principles on their heads. The tourbillon, for example: it doesn’t display the seconds, it is the seconds. And it’s not off-centre, it’s smack in the middle, which is probably absolutely unique in the watch world. It also makes eminent good sense for Ferdinand Berthoud, because the second is the timepiece’s fundamental element of precision. And precision is everything: it forms a tangible link with the eponymous genius who devoted his life to designing the ultimate marine chronometer. In this context, central seconds are a logical design feature. The fact that the seconds are driven by a tourbillon is another technical inevitability, because it gives greater precision.

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/watch ... 25983.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Ferdinand Berthoud movement

Postby foghorn » May 25th 2018, 8:51am

Absolutely incredible from a technical standpoint.
As an item to wear and tell time I'm afraid it falls in to the FTF'nW group.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 25th 2018, 5:25pm

These movements... Extraordinary craftsmanship. And all that craftsmanship, the skills, the days spent on building a movement like that, just to put it into a watch that's beyond fucking ghastly.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 25th 2018, 6:27pm

That fusée makes me want to yank my chain.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers