Horological Rockstar Kari Voutilainen

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

Horological Rockstar Kari Voutilainen

Postby koimaster » January 26th 2018, 4:19pm

A dozen years ago, Kari Voutilainen was a horological ghostwriter, working anonymously for various high-end watch brands. Except for the few, one-of-a-kind pieces he made under his own label, his work bore the names of others. Now he’s a watchmaking star.

The turning point came at the 2004 Basel Fair, when Voutilainen had a conversation with his famed fellow independent Philippe Dufour. Dufour had just seen a watch with an extraordinarily intricate movement assembled by Voutilainen. The watch was being offered by a small-series, haut-de-gamme brand. “Nice piece,” Dufour told him. But Dufour had some advice: Voutilainen should step out of the shadows of other watch brands and put his energy behind his own. Soon after that, another well-known independent watchmaker, Vianney Halter, told him the same thing.

Voutilainen recalled the conversations in a recent interview in his workshop in the village of Môtiers in the Swiss Jura. “I thought to myself, they are right,” he said. It turns out they were.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/kari ... n-profile/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Horological Rockstar Kari Voutilainen

Postby conjurer » January 26th 2018, 9:15pm

Interestingly, Voutilainen is one of the very few high-end makers who isn't nightmarishly creepy.
I received unexpected shit news today. Yes it hit me hard, but the new me will embrace it, hugging the fuck out of the negativity until it becomes a positive!

--Bazinga!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers