Most Idiotic Watch of the Year Award Nominee?

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

Most Idiotic Watch of the Year Award Nominee?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 11th 2018, 10:24am

A key wound and set wristwatch... And I thought smartwatches were idiotic.

Behold, the work of a genius.
http://watchesbysjx.com/2018/06/introducing-the-brivet-naudot-wristwatch-hand-made-without-cnc.html

Astonishing craftsmanship, but who the fuck puts holes for winding and setting arbors in the case back of a wristwatch?

Got to love the rust that'll develop on the movement, once the wrist sweats a few times...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: Most Idiotic Watch of the Year Award Nominee?

Postby bobbee » June 11th 2018, 1:46pm

I really like that watch, but as you say a silly back. It needs a cover, maybe a nice curved sapphire glass one.
In a similar vein, I am thinking of tidying the case and adding a clear back to this Lecoultre trench watch I made, as the movement is beautiful. Counter balanced pallet, wolf's teeth winding wheels, solid gold balance wheel, key wound and set, but also stem wound and set. Best of both worlds!

"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Re: Most Idiotic Watch of the Year Award Nominee?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 11th 2018, 3:09pm

bobbee wrote:I really like that watch, but as you say a silly back. It needs a cover, maybe a nice curved sapphire glass one.
In a similar vein, I am thinking of tidying the case and adding a clear back to this Lecoultre trench watch I made, as the movement is beautiful. Counter balanced pallet, wolf's teeth winding wheels, solid gold balance wheel, key wound and set, but also stem wound and set. Best of both worlds!

That combination (key wind/set + stem wind/set) reminds me of a movement I've once seen at WUS. It was an ebauche by LeCoultre, modified by Ulysse Nardin. It had something of a concealed remontoir, while retaining the winding and setting arbors.

The only thing that really bothers me about this one, is the redundant hole (and the protrusions next to it) for the setting pin, which pin it doesn't have.

Otherwise, that's a pretty watch there, mate. As you've said, built by you, so a project watch, but I'd wear that any day.

Concerning the watch I've denounced as beyond idiotic, the fun thing is, that the genius could have resolved the problem (but he did not) with something as simple as a hinged dust cover.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers