Hello from Alabama

Hello from Alabama

Postby bbattle » July 11th 2019, 5:15pm

I recently decided I needed a watch, years after my $10 Timex quartz died. I bought a couple of Citizen Ecodrives just to test the waters and then decided to purchase an Elliot Brown Project 354.

One can't live on quartz alone so I bought a Seiko SARB035 automatic.

I feel the need to learn everything there is to know about watches; including "how the heck do I justify paying XXXXX amount for a watch? I could buy another bicycle or Vespa for that much money. Or another house!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bbattle

Re: Hello from Alabama

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2019, 5:46pm

Welcome, goddamn it!
Cream rises to the top while jackoffs only leave puddles of rancid jizz.

--Temerity, regarding Bazinga!.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » July 11th 2019, 6:14pm

Welcome Elliot!
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » July 11th 2019, 6:39pm

Welcome.

Don't rush the insight or justification for more expensive pieces as such insight can do horrible things to your disposable income. In fact, I'd suggest delaying the process as much as possible. Much like other forms of dementia it will come, if it comes, at its own pace and is perhaps unavoidable except by death.

Still the SARB035 with 6R15 and sapphire probably means you're doomed in the long term. It's a gateway drug. In fact you skipped the Seiko 5 gateway drug and went directly to the 035. Do not set foot in a Seiko boutique. Do not ask to see a Snowflake and for sure as hell don't look at it too closely or, even worse, try it on. Do not buy a loupe. Stay well clear of any boutique featuring Swiss products as well.

Good luck.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » July 11th 2019, 7:07pm

Welcome to the asylum, sir..you will be assimilated..resistance is futile..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2019, 7:44pm

Hawk wrote:Do not set foot in a Seiko boutique. Do not ask to see a Snowflake and for sure as hell don't look at it too closely or, even worse, try it on. Do not buy a loupe. Stay well clear of any boutique featuring Swiss products as well.

I kinda doubt that there's a boutique of anything in Alabama, Mr. Hawk.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » July 11th 2019, 9:20pm

Rolex has one in Birmingham and one in Auburn or Opelika.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2019, 9:38pm

Hawk wrote:Rolex has one in Birmingham and one in Auburn or Opelika.

And, I'll bet neither one of 'em has any stainless steel sports models for sale!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » July 11th 2019, 9:41pm

Welcome! I am afraid the other's are right, and You are lost now. But don't expect help with a justification / explanation from us. We don't know ourselves. There are a few arguing, that certain watches will retain their value or even become more valuable across time, with Rolex primarily being mentioned. Indeed, certain models are so aftersought that You either have to wait quite a while to buy one at list price, or pay more. With the output of Rolex however, I don't see this hype to sustain. Anyways, younger generations don't appear to even think about buying or wearing watches anymore... so: No justification.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2019, 9:54pm

gerdson wrote:Welcome! I am afraid the other's are right, and You are lost now. But don't expect help with a justification / explanation from us. We don't know ourselves. There are a few arguing, that certain watches will retain their value or even become more valuable across time, with Rolex primarily being mentioned. Indeed, certain models are so aftersought that You either have to wait quite a while to buy one at list price, or pay more. With the output of Rolex however, I don't see this hype to sustain. Anyways, younger generations don't appear to even think about buying or wearing watches anymore... so: No justification.

That was ficking beautiful, Herr Gerdenheimer.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 12th 2019, 3:05am

Welcome bbattle. Look forward to seeing you on the bards :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby biglove » July 12th 2019, 7:21am

Hidey-Ho! Alabama! Stay away from the coast this weekend.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 12th 2019, 8:26am

Welcome to Watchlords; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bbattle » July 12th 2019, 2:24pm

I prefer simpler designs; date/date complication is about as far I care to go; that may change but I doubt it. I've got my eye on the Hamilton Intra-matic. Hamilton has a chrono that's not too busy and my job does occasionally require a timer(can I get my watch NIST certified?).

I have skinny wrists so anything over 40mm looks too big but that's probably dependent upon the watch.

I've discovered such a thing as left handed watches. Since I'm left handed, I need to have one.

eBay seems like a great place to lose a lot of money without having to go to Vegas. Can a seller from Macedonia be trusted?

Are you supposed to swap out straps to match your shoes or do you wear the same one until it rots?
bbattle

Postby Hawk » July 12th 2019, 2:35pm

bbattle wrote:I prefer simpler designs; date/date complication is about as far I care to go; that may change but I doubt it. I've got my eye on the Hamilton Intra-matic. Hamilton has a chrono that's not too busy and my job does occasionally require a timer(can I get my watch NIST certified?).

I have skinny wrists so anything over 40mm looks too big but that's probably dependent upon the watch.

I've discovered such a thing as left handed watches. Since I'm left handed, I need to have one.

eBay seems like a great place to lose a lot of money without having to go to Vegas. Can a seller from Macedonia be trusted?

Are you supposed to swap out straps to match your shoes or do you wear the same one until it rots?

Ah. A little nascent smartassedness. This suggests you'll do well here.

To take them in order:

1. If you like simple check out the Eichi II.

2. Yes. NIST will certify any watch that regulates itself by transition states of caesium-133. If your watch does this you only need to pay for testing. And maybe a supplemental license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (send mail c/o DOE).

3. It is dependent on the watch. And what it's made from. And whether you're looking to impress female Asian bankers in Beijing or tattooed redheads at a roadhouse serving recycled tequila and toxic chili.

4. Get a bullhead and embrace your inner ambidextrous self.

5. Yes but you should check to make sure that his references from Nigerian royalty are legit.

6. No. You're supposed to match your shoes to the strap or go barefoot - dependent of course on the situation with hook and ringworm in your part of Alabama. Alternatively Invicta offers a strap that self-destructs. Replace it with a non-copyrighted NATO and a boxful of assorted RIT dye.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby bbattle » July 12th 2019, 3:27pm

Ugh! Invicta! Who designs their watches? 14 year olds that guzzle Red Bull all day?

I am surprised at just how many watch companies there are in these days of cellphone zombies. Is there some sort of 'retro revolution' going on? Something akin to the vinyl record revival? Or, being late to the party, I've not seen the destruction of the watch industry caused by analog illiterates?

The tattooed redheads at the roadhouse would be sadly disappointed in me; my main ride is a Vespa LX150 and I also rock the spandex on a Trek Domane. No Harleys in my future. It takes supreme confidence to wear Castelli in Alabama but I've got the cojones to carry it off.

Thanks for the strap fashion advice. I will need some red straps during football season. Roll Tide!
bbattle

Postby koimaster » July 12th 2019, 3:42pm

Damn! Another SEC fan.

welcome to the forum.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Falstaff » July 12th 2019, 3:46pm

Welcome, 'Bama.
"See the Winter Boys drinking heavy water from a stone - Bye bye Empire, empire bye bye...."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » July 12th 2019, 4:00pm

I like this fellow. He makes me laugh hard.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 12th 2019, 4:48pm

Anyone who has balls enough to be proud to ride a Vespa is alright with me.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » July 12th 2019, 7:07pm

My wife has a Vespa clone she left behind at the family home in southern Thailand. It's an interesting shade of iron-oxide which, if she was into watches, would be called "patina". It still serves during trips back though it routinely comes back with fewer parts than it left with.

The retro thing actually happened back in the '80s and '90s I believe. The quartz quake had largely subsided and the Swiss mechanicals were benefitting from the Chinese bureaucrats buying high end stuff in Hong Kong. Concurrently our Wall Street yuppies discovered Rolex and several others as a status symbol and it hasn't much relented since.

The recent dip in mechanical watch sales has largely recovered. The dip had less to do with our buying habits than Xi Jinping cracking down on corruption - Hong Kong sales dropping 40% clobbered the poor Swiss for a time there. But it served to wake the slumbering Swiss FH to the delight of WLs and chagrin of the odd Panamanian. You are now spoiled for choice.

Probably won't end any time soon. Dufour is backlogged clear through the next glacial advance. Smart watches will morph into brain implants before mechanical watches die.

Nothing says "I'm my own man and not a slave to fashion" quite like tooling up to a bank meeting in Bangkok or Beijing wearing spandex and a Vacheron. And recycled tequila isn't any good for you anyway. I'd be rocking a Piaget Altiplano and cargo pants - if I had the means.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » July 13th 2019, 10:48am

Hawk wrote:...I'd be rocking a Piaget Altiplano and cargo pants - if I had the means.

The marquetry dial, please.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself