Lume questions

Are you a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one, share your knowledge and questions here.

Lume questions

Postby svaglic » April 20th 2016, 2:23pm

I am going to attempt to ruin lume my first watch. I have been looking at a lot of lume threads on the watch forums, but have some questions I am hoping you guys can answer.

1. I see people recommend mixing lume with epoxy for bezel work. Like, what kind of epoxy mix? Mix the lume in it? How much per parts mix is best?

2. Does the indices lume have to be removed then the new lume mix is put on or can you lume over it and it look good?

3. If painting the edges of indices or hands, can model paint be used and if so, what is the best and does it need a top coat?

I'm aware my stuff will suck at first, maybe always, but I want to practice on a few watches and see if I can't get o.k at it for some beater watches. I figure I can always strip them down and start over as much as I need.

Any info and tips would be appreciated. I'm just looking for something to do on my insomnia nights.

I bought a WatchLume kit off ebay, it has mixed reviews, but I got a small mortar grinder to make it finer before mixing it. While playing around, I will keep an eye out for something better.
Last edited by svaglic on April 20th 2016, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Lume questions

Postby foghorn » April 20th 2016, 2:58pm

I suggest just getting a small pocket flashlight. :mrgreen:

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby svaglic » April 20th 2016, 3:06pm

foghorn wrote:I suggest just getting a small pocket flashlight. :mrgreen:

I know I am in over my head, I just want to try. I have 3 watches that are not really worth anything, I just want to play around. If anything turns out decent, cool... if not then no harm done.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » April 20th 2016, 3:26pm

Looks like a fun project. Good luck!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » April 20th 2016, 4:20pm

I tried to lume a casio 3 hander and found that the clearance between the hands as they pass each other was so tight that any extra lume caused the hands to catch on each other. Just a thing to be aware of! I didn't try any epoxy mix and just painted over the existing.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » April 21st 2016, 3:59pm

Reach out to Kent Parks at Everest Watchworks, or maybe Jay at MCWW and call it a day...worth the wait.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » June 20th 2016, 11:35pm

I have been practicing lume. I got some jewelry metal bead stuff at hobby lobby because they could almost pass as round indices (they are high though). They are also smaller and I thought it would increase my target aim to practice on them. I am not bad at this point. The lume I have been practicing with is pretty bad for actual work, but great for practice. I have good lume coming in now.

I am also practicing painting the indices, I am pretty good at this.

Problem now; I have a cool dial, but want round indices. I can't find them. Alpha has round ones, but they are inserts with drilled pegs. I don't want to drill my cool dial. I have a friend who is a machinist, but his cost is more than I thought it would be. Anyone know where I could get round indices or a link to cheap watches I could canibalize off of? Anyone here with a box of broken with round indices I could lume. I'm not asking for free, I can pay.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 21st 2016, 6:43am

svaglic wrote:I have been practicing lume. I got some jewelry metal bead stuff at hobby lobby because they could almost pass as round indices (they are high though). They are also smaller and I thought it would increase my target aim to practice on them. I am not bad at this point. The lume I have been practicing with is pretty bad for actual work, but great for practice. I have good lume coming in now.

I am also practicing painting the indices, I am pretty good at this.

Problem now; I have a cool dial, but want round indices. I can't find them. Alpha has round ones, but they are inserts with drilled pegs. I don't want to drill my cool dial. I have a friend who is a machinist, but his cost is more than I thought it would be. Anyone know where I could get round indices or a link to cheap watches I could canibalize off of? Anyone here with a box of broken with round indices I could lume. I'm not asking for free, I can pay.

I don't have any, but this is in response to your work:

Go for it. As someone who does his own battery changes and strap and bracelet adjustments and changes, I can only marvel at your bravery and acumen. Even now, after doing this stuff for about seven years, I creep along slowly. Invested in better tools from Esslinger recently and that helps. I've dabbled with the idea of building a watch from parts (or simply taking one apart and putting it back together), but am too much of a coward/cheapskate/Johnny Ten Thumbs. I did manage to fix a broken stem on an Omega once, but I'm telling you, it was dumb luck.

Looking forward to seeing your results.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby fenny » June 21st 2016, 7:19am

I've been messing around lately with painting my own hands-- the clearance issue has proven to be a problem. I started with enamel paint but have found that the oil based paint pens work ok. With the naked eye they look fine, but under a loupe it looks like Helen Keller tried it. Like you said practice is the key good luck.
fenny
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Watch, and Clock makers Corner