WL was 9 years old on the 16th of December

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here

WL was 9 years old on the 16th of December

Postby koimaster » December 18th 2018, 1:15pm

I got distracted about this due to personal matters related to my friend Boomer and holiday shopping but on the 16th of December 2018, Watchlords turned 9 years old. Given that I was not sure it would survive past the first few months way back when I have been pleasantly surprised over the years. The designated "Hater" site is still around the ship of fools known as watchgeeks is long dead.

I remember the first couple of years here when members were targeted at other forums for being here. Many were banned by the thugs over at the defunct inflicta watch forum for joining here. Others were mocked for mentioning the place and dead koi photos were popular at one point. Thug wannabes like ripped in the ass ron, 500mm or better, George the informant and a few others incited the lemmings who could not pull their collective heads out of their asses to pile on members who spoke about WL. In some cases the thugs that ran the place changed sig files of active members or read their private messages to warn them or ban them for what was said.

Over time the inflicta forum imploded with the ghost membership never registering at real watch forums such as this or others out there. Over the years the members here have donated thousands to charity with the donations of their own items and bidding to raise funds for groups such as Shriners, St. Jude's and others. Seems we are alone to this day in doing this. Some group of haters we have here. We have lost members over the years to death as well as to Facebook or changing interests. We have had some leave due to politics as well. A long time member was banned from the site for reasons I will not go further in disclosing. It is a reflection of the world around us IMHO. Not always our first choice but circumstances dictate outcomes here and elsewhere.

I for one am still waiting to see granny lalo and her original designs of the Russian Diver and those Inflicta Swiss Factories.

We have also gained new members over the course of time, some bad but most become members that are respected by the rest of the outcasts in the deep end of the pool. I have no intention of boring folks with this so, thanks for making the place home to some of the most interesting and learned WIS on the net.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: WL was 9 years old on the 16th of December

Postby TemerityB » December 18th 2018, 1:47pm

In all seriousness: Not bad. Thank sfor letting me hang about, and hope maybe that number gets doubled. Or tripled.
Last edited by TemerityB on December 18th 2018, 1:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fantastic watch company."
- PhatKat Collections on Stuhrling Original, YouTube
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » December 18th 2018, 1:53pm

And you've outlasted the lot of them.

I just looked and I've been here just over 8 years. I recall that you specifically warned me that joining under the same or a similar name would get me banned. I'm not sure if I was more skeptical or just didn't care but, sure enough, an "another watch lard busted" ban notice soon followed.

I tracked this forum down based mostly on direct, some might say "merciless", reviews and exposure of dubious brands and claims. I was mostly unaware of the personal history of bullshit flowing from WG. I might well have fallen into the trap of asking "why all the hate" but for the abundance of trolls asking the same thing which spared me the embarrassment and provided education.

Well done, ya olde farte. Well done indeed.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » December 18th 2018, 1:59pm

I remember when there were just a few of us here. A bunch of forums have come and gone and many that were here 9 years ago have withered up and died. Wherefore art thou Alan (Darth Neo), Oscar Gaspar , Weenson Oo, John Holbrook,Don Ruch, Randy Rush et al?

Who wooda thunk a few old farts would get together 9 years ago and still be going strong today?

WATCHLORDS

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » December 18th 2018, 4:54pm

Thanx for having us..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » December 18th 2018, 5:30pm

This place has been a source of joy and upbeatism for me. Some of the shit I've been through can be a Debbie downer. Thanks to Alain and all you kids.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » December 18th 2018, 6:29pm

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby artman » December 18th 2018, 7:08pm

Just like the watches we cherish, I hope this site out-lives us all with minimal servicing required. Cheers Lords!
artman
Master of Time

Postby SynMike » December 18th 2018, 10:38pm

Congratulations. That's staying power. I was banned from 2 sites for joining here. I don't even remember what sites those were called.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » December 18th 2018, 11:29pm

Looking back a ways, it's interesting all the other sites, tainted brands and hucksters we've tangled with, and some of which now reside in a shallow grave in the Pine Barrens:

Watchgeeks
Larry Holmack
Joe Blazer
Bazinga!
Charles Ninetoes
The nutty used car salesman who was the first mook to put his head through the drywall
Dirtbox
Reza
Mongo
Jawbone
Larry Megan (who got fucked up pretty good)
Allison Waggonwheel
Buttons
George the Informant
Invicta Ryan
Tim Temple
Eyal Lalo
LaMink
The big twitchy fat guy who runs Stauer
Kevin Evans, rep for Ingersoll and horrific serial murderer
Millenials
Democrats
Republicans
Albanians
That District Attorney from Florida who I would still love to punch in her seat
Smiths
Charles Nelson Reilly
Larry Storch
Bea Arthur
Bob Keeshan
Nipsey Russell
Almost every microbrand
Master Wing
The Teutonic Turd Burgler who repped Constantine Weitz
Doxa
The WIT-less
Vladimir Putin
ShopNBC/Urine

While this is certainly a long list, it also certainly isn't exhaustive. I'm sure there have been others we've disparaged, called out, or simply fucking bloodily murdered.

But also important is pointing out the very many fine members here who have donated and bid on very many interesting and fine watches and objects d'arte, the proceeds of which have helped plenty of sick kids, people who needed help, wounded warriors, etc, and as Alain points out above, Watchlords is the only watch forum on the web that does this on a regular basis.

Also important are the members who are no longer with us, but helped shape the forum into what it is.

And through it all, we have not taken corporate sponsorship--we are self sustaining. We bow to no one. We are the Watchlords, and we are legion.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » December 18th 2018, 11:29pm

Thanks to koi and the folks who got tired enough of the bullshit to do something about it---- and all just for the obsession with the goddam things- not an ad, not an obligation- just the degrees of freedom to call them like we see them and it's been more fun than a human being should be allowed to have to stand up for the ugly truth and laugh my ass off with the best in the bidness.

WL to infinity.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » December 19th 2018, 12:22am

:6rdtf: :say it:

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » December 19th 2018, 4:58am

Thanks to everyone (especially Alain) who make this place what it is.

Don't post much, but I check in virtually every day, and have since Day One!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Postby codguy » December 19th 2018, 5:21am

conjurer wrote:and some of which now reside in a shallow grave in the Pine Barrens:

Yep...... that first trip with conj & feathers was both exciting and fulfilling at the same time.

Thanks to all those who paved the way!
:perfect:

Though I got a late start here, its been my only watch forum of choice!

Mrs. Pacerguy is gonna smell like a catcher's mitt after December 25 - TemerityB
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby ocean » December 19th 2018, 6:17am

Conjurer how could you forget Avi? I was a little late to the party. Miss some of the originals Eddie,AH. Definitely some sadness with are retired lords. BigEd someday we will be able to take that fishing trip.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 19th 2018, 8:41am

ocean wrote:Miss some of the originals Eddie,AH. Definitely some sadness with are retired lords. BigEd someday we will be able to take that fishing trip.

Oh, man, you got me with that one. A tip o' the cap to one and all.
"A fantastic watch company."
- PhatKat Collections on Stuhrling Original, YouTube
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » January 3rd 2019, 11:21am

Over the years members have come and gone. Many have left for facebook and others were here because they wanted to be free to say what they felt about tv watch brands and such.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mark1 » January 3rd 2019, 10:33pm

Who knew it would last? Some good folks here. Salut.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 4th 2019, 3:43pm

Been here a little over five years...didn't realize had been that long. Came to an unknown site to bitch about and disparage Stan Botosh and Deep Blew.

Didn't know shit then, don't know much more now but have learned damned near everything I know about watches from you guys.

Even though I am down to three total watches including the forthcoming HKEd diver, I still consider myself a fan and enthusiast. And this will be home as long as I convert O2 to CO2.

Cheers to all.
Last edited by biglove on January 5th 2019, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby mley1 » January 5th 2019, 8:01pm

I've been on a lot of forums, even am admin on a few, and it's refreshing to be a member on a forum ran like this. Refreshing indeed. Members here have been good to me, even when I was an idiot. So, thank you Lords for allowing me to learn from you. I believe I'll stick around a while. One of these days my hard head will learn some things about watches............I do love the pics too. Thanks again for running a no nonsense forum where bullshit is called out for what it is, and members deal with trolls forthwith.
Respectfully,
Martin Ley
mley1

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 6th 2019, 2:48pm

Been here for two years now, way less than most of the regulars. And it's been a great two years for me at this fine joint. I can't possibly imagine how much fun I'd have missed, if bobbee wouldn't have told me, "Mike, if you have the balls, join Watchlords." I have, so I joined.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Announcements