Reading Private messages

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here

Reading Private messages

Postby koimaster » September 25th 2018, 4:27pm

I had a now banned member accuse me of reading private messages. Under no circumstances can I or anyone else including Dion who maintains the site, read the messages of a member. This is not watchgeeks nor a couple of other sites I know about. Although the post below is from 2008, it is still how the software is designed.

The claim
I want nothing to do with a website where my PM's can be read while the owner claims his members have total privacy
I am quite willing to have anyone with BBs experience confirm that no such mod is installed and Dion is free to confirm it.

Can Admin Read User's PMs?

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 4&t=709155

A site book mod for Google and a user merge mod that is uninstalled which was to merge users who had multiple accounts because they forgot their password or whatever. To be able to read the private(emphasis on Private) messages of a forum member you would need a special mod to be installed. We do not have that here and never will. This came about because the now banned member decided to throw a hissy fit in a private message which a couple of members forwarded to me. When I mentioned this prior to banning this person for this and other things, the individual tried playing the "betrayed by members" and blame game.

Mr. Bipolar pulled this stunt
that permanent man-child's mind

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Reading Private messages

Postby bobbee » September 25th 2018, 11:58pm

I was told the mods could read pm's at WUS, and at first didn't believe it. After having a thread post replied to by a moderator who used part of my pm to another member from the day before, I'm pretty sure they can.

I visited the link you use, and in the thread is this link: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 10&start=0
I noticed there were many people using the pm reading app, and also there were fourteen other guests visiting the thread while I was reading it.
This appears to show that many sites are possibly still using the pm reader app.

"I may be paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" :D

P.S.
I don't think you read pm's koi, don't worry about it too much! ;)
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby kevco » September 26th 2018, 6:15am

Reminds me of how we got the Japanese to confirm we had broken their code at the time of Midway.

Might not make sense to most but 'AF running low on water" might have some meaning to some.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » September 26th 2018, 8:18am

bobbee wrote:I was told the mods could read pm's at WUS, and at first didn't believe it. After having a thread post replied to by a moderator who used part of my pm to another member from the day before, I'm pretty sure they can.

I visited the link you use, and in the thread is this link: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 10&start=0
I noticed there were many people using the pm reading app, and also there were fourteen other guests visiting the thread while I was reading it.
This appears to show that many sites are possibly still using the pm reader app.

"I may be paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?" :D

P.S.
I don't think you read pm's koi, don't worry about it too much! ;)

I knew the folks at WG were reading PMs after they threatened Alan Larkin for using the PM system to let folks know he was starting a forum. I knew WUS was using it years ago when I received an email at my personal account from Rick the bitch Mearia from Doxa accusing me of stirring up trouble about Doxa. I had saved the email as a draft so they were monitoring certain users and getting notices whenever they wrote, sent or saved a PM. I will repeat that no one can read a private message on this forum except the parties involved with the message.

The statement made by the now banned mortuus was made to poison the well which is why I posted it and addressed it.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby bobbee » September 26th 2018, 8:30am

I think I missed that one.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » September 26th 2018, 3:40pm

bobbee wrote:I think I missed that one.

Mortuus, who is now banned at this site accused me of reading private messages which is complete bullshit and then accused some folks who shared a private message insulting me of betraying him.

Gentlemen:

Our fearless leader has seen fit to strip me of my "Master of Time" ranking and relisted me as a "senior member." And the funniest thing about it is that I've no clue as to why Mr. Bipolar pulled this stunt... (He also took away my founder title and admin status over at WL.) I know it doesn't mean anything in the big scheme of the universe, but I was proud of those things, dammit, and haven't a clue as to the petty workings of that permanent man-child's mind that led to my being defrocked over here...when does the chickenshit end? With me losing my asshat status? THAT, I could NEVER forgive, I'm afraid...

And, finally:

So now you can intercept PM's, huh? Well congratulations to you, Alain; you win the Sentaor Joe McCarthy Award for Paranoia... And if you CAN'T intercept them, then one of the recipients of the PM has betrayed me.

And no, I will repeat one last time, absolutely no one can read private messages between parties unless they are forwarded by the writer or recipients.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » September 26th 2018, 6:36pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » September 26th 2018, 7:16pm

kevco wrote:Reminds me of how we got the Japanese to confirm we had broken their code at the time of Midway.

Might not make sense to most but 'AF running low on water" might have some meaning to some.

Craig Symonds in Battle of Midway suggested they actually loaded up some desalinization gear and sent it on its way to support the occupation of Midway. Symonds published in 2011 and offered what I took to be some new insights - he tended to run crossgrain to the previous accounts which suggested that the outcome was improbable if not a downright "miracle". Rather it was the logical result of errors, coincidence, decisions made and intelligence gathered.

Still I would not envy any American flying a torpedo bomber during the battle.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to Announcements