How a Micro-Brand ended up on the Space Station

Micro-Brands discussed here

How a Micro-Brand ended up on the Space Station

Postby koimaster » July 26th 2018, 8:24am

Space exploration is a recurring topic when it comes to watches. Of course, the Omega Speedmaster a.k.a. Moonwatch is the reference when it comes to space-linked timepieces, however, it’s not the only watch that made it to space. Recently, we discovered that another watch had been launched via a resupply mission to the ISS, a custom-made pilot’s watch, by Dave Sutton, worn on a Marine Nationale strap by our good friend Erika (from ErikasOriginals). Obviously, we wanted to know more about this very cool story.

Dave’s custom-made watch and Erika’s MN strap

The watch itself is not branded or produced by one of the well-known brands. Much more interesting is the fact that the watch that was launched into space is a custom-made watch. Dave Sutton made a limited run of this watch, and it’s built with Seiko parts and some parts were supplied by friends. Dave has been as a professional pilot and professional diver (as the boating coordinator for the US research efforts in Antarctica). He taught at both the USN and USAF Test Pilot Schools in Russian MiG jet fighters for just over 18 years.

During his career, he wore a Rolex Sea-Dweller ref. 1665, which he bought second-hand back in the late 1970’s. He started his watchmaking hobby when he almost lost that Sea-Dweller in the sea, when pulling up the anchor of his boat one day, and he realized that it was far too valuable as a family heirloom to risk losing it. As he explained to us: “I wanted to replace it with a tool watch that I could wear for the rest of my life, and not finding anything I really liked at a price point accessible to a working professional pilot, I decided to build my own, based on the workhorse Seiko SKX series.”

https://monochrome-watches.com/a-space- ... n-the-iss/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Micro-Brands