Detroit Watch Co. shoots for the moon

Micro-Brands discussed here

Detroit Watch Co. shoots for the moon

Postby Racer-X » May 26th 2018, 10:18am

Previous discussion:
https://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=395247

by Eric Boucher "If you follow me on Instagram you probably already know that I’m a big fan of Detroit Watch Company. Patrick and Amy Ayoub have melded their automotive design skills with their love of watches and the “Motor City” of Detroit and created quite a successful brand with a very unique look. Recently I had the opportunity to spend a week with the all-new M1 Woodward Moon Phase on the wrist.

Along with the moon phase, Patrick and Amy also just released a new 42mm version of the standard M1 Woodward chronograph, which traditionally has been offered only in a larger 44mm size. I think stepping the case size down a bit on the M1 line is really an excellent decision, and opens up their flagship piece to more wrist sizes. In addition to the moon phase indicator at 6 o’clock, the M1 Woodward Moon Phase – also in 42mm – brings to the table a full calendar complication."

https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/05/25/detroit-watch-co-shoots-for-the-moon/
Last edited by Racer-X on June 6th 2018, 6:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Detroit Watch Co. shoots for the moon

Postby foghorn » May 26th 2018, 10:28am

Are these assembled in Detroit? I'm too lazy too look them up. This watch looks OK but seems a bit pricey for a newish companyI could also do without the "start/stop" and "reset" text on the dial. Is Swiss Caliber a way to skirt the Swiss Movement guidelines?

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » May 26th 2018, 10:51am

foghorn wrote:Are these assembled in Detroit? I'm too lazy too look them up. This watch looks OK but seems a bit pricey for a newish companyI could also do without the "start/stop" and "reset" text on the dial. Is Swiss Caliber a way to skirt the Swiss Movement guidelines?

Looks like there may be some answers in a previous thread:
https://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=395247
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 26th 2018, 6:04pm

The too-busy dial kills it for me; the placements don't look precise. Nothing against them or that watch as a whole - at least the innards are a bit above what we usually see from similar projects - but I can hear the carnival barking and I'm not even in the room with them. And as for these startups, it's the same old song: Please stop braying about your "Swiss caliber" that's been placed in a case of unknown origin by people with no track record worth considering in the same world where you can find actual Swiss watches on every street corner; trying to make the unnecessary seem necessary is so fucking desperate.
(Unwraps gift) "What ... a Stuhrling Original ... Regatta? Because you heard me talking about dive watches? Oh ... you shouldn't have ..."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 26th 2018, 7:15pm

TemerityB wrote:The too-busy dial kills it for me; the placements don't look precise. Nothing against them or that watch as a whole - at least the innards are a bit above what we usually see from similar projects - but I can hear the carnival barking and I'm not even in the room with them. And as for these startups, it's the same old song: Please stop braying about your "Swiss caliber" that's been placed in a case of unknown origin by people with no track record worth considering in the same world where you can find actual Swiss watches on every street corner; trying to make the unnecessary seem necessary is so fucking desperate.

It's also unnecessary to put the term "moonphase" on a watch with a moonphase. It reeks of the parvenu.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » May 27th 2018, 4:47am

conjurer wrote: It reeks of the parvenu.

I had to look that one up :oops:
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 27th 2018, 5:06am

I think Norm Cash had one of those wARtcHes. Or maybe it was Bill Freehan. I know it wasn’t Dick McCailiffe cus he was a cheap fuck

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby codguy » May 27th 2018, 5:36am

$2400 bucks for this 7751 wartch....... and no warllet and keyfob? gtfoh

Oh, and the "man on the moon" marking makes this wartch cartoonish.

Mrs. Pacerguy is gonna smell like a catcher's mitt after December 25 - TemerityB
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby OTMF » May 27th 2018, 9:11am

I'm digging this. As busy as the dial is, they made it very legible to see time at a glance. I like all of the complications, their layout, and also the size. That's a lot of watch and I give it 5 stars!
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » May 27th 2018, 11:19am

OTMF wrote:I'm digging this. As busy as the dial is, they made it very legible to see time at a glance. I like all of the complications, their layout, and also the size. That's a lot of watch and I give it 5 stars!

Complications different to the other 4000+ or so ETA 7751 wartch timepiece models ???

Looking forward to your purchase review.....................................................................................

Mrs. Pacerguy is gonna smell like a catcher's mitt after December 25 - TemerityB
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » May 27th 2018, 9:01pm

I like it less the Swissness reference (put it on the fucking case back), and get rid of the start/stop/reset text and they'd have a really nice 7751 dial. Make it a grand or less and it might be worth buying depending on where they get the junk.

Every time I see one of these 7751 deals I still kick myself in the ass for not buying the only worthwhile watches Lior ben Goniff ever made under the SWI brand. I know that at least the first runs of the '51 models were hung with elabore junk, I don't remember what ran the other 3 register model, but it was very nicely done, too. They went for deep discounts on old dollars; my dumb ass.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » May 28th 2018, 5:51am

One of Goniff's 7751 models (and sans cartoon moon).
Purchased from WoW for under one large back in the day . 8-)

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » May 28th 2018, 7:32am

codguy wrote:One of Goniff's 7751 models (and sans cartoon moon).

Yup, I can remember when they were blowing the last of the run out at about $600 or so on Shop. They were (and are) real watches, as opposed to the wartches sweat soaked ben Shmuel usually flogged.

Cod, you have more than one of these don't you? Color me jealous.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 28th 2018, 7:36am

codguy wrote:One of Goniff's 7751 models (and sans cartoon moon).

Best watch SWI ever produced, by miles, and more proof that cod is one smart cookie.
(Unwraps gift) "What ... a Stuhrling Original ... Regatta? Because you heard me talking about dive watches? Oh ... you shouldn't have ..."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » May 28th 2018, 8:58am

Falstaff wrote: Cod, you have more than one of these don't you?

One 7751 derivative (#137/250).

Own afew LE day/date three hand versions, and two chrono's equipped with ETA/Dubois-Duprez movement set-ups.

Thanks TB,
When I saw this wartch line that benschumel had commissioned, I had a great idea whom the actual manufacturer was (Armand Nicolet). I also figured the prices were out of touch with the typical TV audience and waited for the fire sales. Great wartches (other than the SWI labeling and no keyfob), and at unreal low prices for awesome AN workmanship.

And since I already Ceciled this thread, I will clearly announce I am a Armand Nicolet fanboi.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » May 28th 2018, 9:27am

codguy wrote:And since I already Ceciled this thread, I will go clearly announce I am a Armand Nicolet fanboi.

You are a smart cookie; those watches are spectacular and obviously well made.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Micro-Brands