Vintage Review: Omega Genève "Stingray Cobra"

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Vintage Review: Omega Genève "Stingray Cobra"

Postby koimaster » April 11th 2018, 10:52am

My foray into the world of vintage watches has been a rewarding experience that I cannot measure in words, and the watch that I will introduce you to today is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of vintage space-age design, and has rightfully earned its place as my favorite watch in my entire collection. Make no mistake; this is not your typical vintage grandfather’s watch. Omega has always been known for crafting some of the watch industry’s most colorful and funky designs. Not much is known about this particular watch, even after contacting Omega themselves they could not help me with any background or history on this rarity.

What is known is that they were produced around the early 1970’s for select markets around the world. There were two variations, however, one that featured a basic bezel and one that featured a rotating bezel. This Stingray has the rotating bezel which I find to be a bit ineffectual considering that this is not a dive watch and has no water resistant rating. Regardless of its cloudy history, I am extremely grateful that Omega made such a strange watch that I can enjoy today. At a time of history when the Nautilus and Royal Oak weren’t on the market, this is a design icon that predates the two of them. Everyone knows of Gerald Genta, personally, I would love to meet the designer who created the Stingray. Let’s take a deeper look at what exactly makes this so different.

https://wristreview.com/vintage-review- ... ray-cobra/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Vintage Watches