New Old OS Clubman

New Old OS Clubman

Postby conjurer » February 1st 2019, 10:37am

From the incredible collection of Mr. Robot, behold, the Orient Star Clubman:

A lot of history in this watch; it was Orient's first automatic chrono, using the Seiko 6S37. AFAIK, Seiko only used these movements in some Credor models and in the Flightmaster. It seems that Orient only issued the Clubman for about a year. After this, Seiko licensed the movement to TAG Heuer, who at first claimed they had developed it totally inhouse and named it the Caliber 1887.

Anyway, I think my Orient saga is probably at an end; with an OS Royal and now this one, I think I got the best stuff.
Cream rises to the top while jackoffs only leave puddles of rancid jizz.

--Temerity, regarding Bazinga!.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: New Old OS Clubman

Postby Racer-X » February 1st 2019, 10:44am

Fantastic watch, Congrats. Robatsu is really moving along some incredible watches.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » February 1st 2019, 10:46am

Nice!!

But why is there a 1 in the 6 position on the hour subdial?? Is it a jump hour wartch??
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » February 1st 2019, 10:47am

A beauty!!!...glad you were able to snag that one..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » February 1st 2019, 10:48am

foghorn wrote:Nice!!

But why is there a 1 in the 6 position on the hour subdial?? Is it a jump hour wartch??

that's Iz the dyte Windder ewe Dammed olde Coot.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » February 1st 2019, 10:50am

Thanks for the kind words, gents! Alas, after a week of bright sunshine (it was almost 60 degrees here yesterday), we're back to the gray weather and rain here in the PacNW. I'll try to get some better pics later.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » February 1st 2019, 11:01am

I guess Santa is still delivering for you.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby tiktok » February 1st 2019, 11:37am

The case back is hot!
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby robatsu » February 1st 2019, 2:33pm

conjurer wrote:From the incredible collection of Mr. Robot

The incredible shrinking collection. Enjoy it.

One Orient to complete you trifecta is an diver they did in 70s. Pretty much unknown in the U.S. but are highly sought after in Japan:

Some pics here. There is another pillow case Panerai-ish diver from the same era that also is highly sought after.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k362229199
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 1st 2019, 7:02pm

Wear some Pinaud Clubman and that at the same time and you'll be the cat's pajamas!

Seriously, yeah, that's a conjurer watch. Good on ya. Well done once again to Mr. Robot as well.
I bought a dive watch from them that literally had “dive” in the name. The instructions said not to dive with it - it was only meant to LOOK like a dive watch. It was also fast by more that a minute per day. Garbage. Never again. - IWG buyer on Reddit
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby robatsu » February 1st 2019, 7:43pm

I wore that one a lot for number of years around Osaka, I really liked it.

Kinda small for chronos of the era, which is nice going forward.

Total JDM inside baseball, just Orient Star auto chrono, then the movement. There was one run after this of completely different chronos, a black and a cream, that have a completely different case, look, etc. The black one is the pick for me, those pop up occasionally, at least a few years back.

They may be 6s28, don't remember if they have power reserve.

I didn't think I'd sell that one. And it made it to a final round of 2 or 3, that's definitely saying something, at least for me.

I like how the movement is very utilitarian finish. Classic. Nobody will be making anything like that anymore.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby robatsu » February 1st 2019, 7:54pm

The readability at a glance is below average, I'd say, even for chronos. However, it was such a cool watch otherwise, it was worth putting up with, for me.

Definitely one of those "buy on sight" unicorns, that is for sure.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » February 7th 2019, 3:24pm

Some fresh, slightly better pics:

Column wheel visible just over rotor pivot:

Cheers!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » February 7th 2019, 3:36pm

That is a cool watch to have in the collection.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » February 7th 2019, 4:01pm

You won't be meeting many folks wearing one of those beauts..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » February 7th 2019, 4:04pm

TemerityB wrote:Wear some Pinaud Clubman and that at the same time and you'll be the cat's pajamas!

Seriously, yeah, that's a conjurer watch. Good on ya. Well done once again to Mr. Robot as well.

Thought the same thing when I saw the thread title

Outstanding watch
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby robatsu » February 7th 2019, 7:59pm

I'd compare the simple decoration on this movement to the one on the Yema recently discussed, esp. on the rotor.

Both a simple radial pattern, but here at a glance finely and competently done vs. the Yema disaster.

This is one of the epic keepers in my book, at least down to your last 4 or 5. I previously had this one for the estate or foundation, but I decided to just pass stuff on.

Beyond the personal, it represents an apex for Orient, where they were considering going for world class luxury watch stuff.

The Royal Orient stuff is another.

Interesting stuff, totally unique, and you really gotta understand the context to fully "get" the piece.

Which keeps it from being a strictly numbers, commoditized dollars game about pieces who are well understood in a fungible manner.

So this has ephemeral, non-commoditizable, at this point in time, value.

In Japan, this is less the case, there is a class of people who keep the market sluid for pieces like these, there is a known value in that market for this.

Probably $1.5->2.5k USD at the moment. But even now, they are so unusual, who knows. Sometimes something like this slips through the cracks at a 2d hand store for $800 USD, other times maybe someone is hanging it out there for well in excess of MSRP.

In the event you even see them anymore. Maybe 5 years ago they went from uncommon to unicornish on my radar screens. Haven't seen one up in a long time, which probably means it is time to go looking for one, probably about time for one to pop up.

Like the light blue, mizu iro, guy. Even in my milieu, whoa, that is an unparalleled thing.

Anyhow, conj, yeah, special watch. Personally, I'd love to see you don one of your classic reviews on this watch.

I still am having a hard time parting, at least in part, with my OS WZ0091EL because of your review of the piece.

THat's another that got years of wrist time back in the day living in Japan.

Anyhow, yeah, hope you cherish it and or pass it on to another who will.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby artman » February 7th 2019, 8:01pm

Dayam fine watch. The red makes it pop without being too busy. Cool movement too. Congrats!
artman
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » February 7th 2019, 9:24pm

Thanks again for the kind words, all!

I've had it for about a week now, so a few impressions. Like most chronographs, it's pretty thick, and stands a bit high on the wrist, but not too much. It came from the owner on a very nice aftermarket Morellato strap; the original bracelet came with it, unsized, still in the plastic. It came with all the papers, in a very nice box (for Orient), including the hangtags.

The dial is superb, a thick black lacquer that surrounds the many dials. There is some lume on the hands, but it fades very quickly. All the totalizer hands and chrono seconds hand are in high polished steel, and are difficult to see in some dim lighting. The date window is very finely done, sunken in the hours totalizer, with a negative wheel, with very funky day numbers. The same font is used in the printed tachymeter bezel, which is a nice touch. The crystal is sapphire, with some AR coating on the inside, but it isn't as good as the new stuff that Orient Stars use today.

The movement is a Seiko 6S37, (Orient named it the 32A00), forty jewels, column wheel operation, 28,800 VPH. The chrono buttons work velvety smooth, almost like a quartz; none of that shit about having to lean hard on the start/stop button, like on a 7750. The movement appears to be running at about +12 seconds a day, which isn't bad for a nearly ten year old watch that spent the first four years sitting on a shelf. The power reserve indicator takes a while to climb to full, unlike most Orients which, left off the wrist overnight will climb back to full wind in an hour or two in the morning.

Case finishing is very good, about what you'd find with an Orient Star, but not spectacular or worthy of awe, like a GS.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » February 8th 2019, 4:39am

conjurer wrote:The movement is a Seiko 6S37, (Orient named it the 32A00), forty jewels, column wheel operation, 28,800 VPH.

And, and, and .............it has soul!

Sharp looking watch conj!

It would have been the perfect afternoon if those jagoffs from Greenpeace hadn't showed up and tried to roll me back into the Puget Sound - conj
codguy
ASSHAT

Return to Your New Watch