My First Monster

My First Monster

Postby artman » August 2nd 2018, 5:14pm

That dayam Chatbox of ours can be a dangerous place. I went in there hoping you guys would talk me down from buying a Seiko Frickn Monster. Hoping you guys would tell me horror stories about ownership of this particular watch. Hoping you guys would make fun of me to even consider buying this watch only worn by hardcore Seiko fanboys. So, here it is in all it's glory ... The Seiko Vampire Monster (SRP313K) and it's frickn awesome! Thanks guys for making it such an easy purchase and thanks to my wife for negotiating the price even lower than originally posted.
2nd Generation. 4R36 movement. Hand winds and hacks.
42.5mm of solid steel manliness.
13mm thick and I thought that I'd hate the shroud, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Solid steel bracelet with those pesky pins and collars which I did not try to size myself after much consoling from RacerX. I couldn't do it.
Diver extension which will only be useful if I get fat because I have no intention of ever going diving. Ever.
And it looks and feels great on the wrist! Oh yeah and I almost forgot...gratuitous lume shot!!

I appreciate all the input I got in this purchase and after a day on my wrist, I'm not sure why it was a such difficult decision. Oh crap, I just realized that I might just be a Seiko fanboy. Cheers!
Last edited by artman on August 2nd 2018, 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
artman
Master of Time

Re: My First Monster

Postby TemerityB » August 2nd 2018, 5:20pm

Good for you, artie. Remember what Larry Frizzletop says: "You listen to the right voices, you make the right choices." And if your wife negotated an even lower deal? She deserves dinner and a movie, man.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » August 2nd 2018, 5:23pm

Congrats. I think it is my favorite Monster. Dibs if you tire of it. That lume shot answers my "how's the lume question."
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » August 2nd 2018, 5:59pm

Monsters are an icon. I love my 3rd generation. Not so much my 2 first generations.
Best part is that you have to be a dick to own one.;

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 2nd 2018, 9:55pm

Enjoyed mine. Except for the damned bracelet pin system. Was the first bracelet that made me lose my shit when resizing.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » August 2nd 2018, 10:05pm

I recall the Recliner once referring to the Monster as a milestone in industrial design--I think it was when he was breaking my balls for trying a beads-of-rice aftermarket bracelet on one I owned.

Indeed, apart from a few Australian SCUBA diving communists, the Monster is a legend. In its day it's a remarkably original watch. It didn't look like anything that came before, and apart from a sleazy knockoff from Invicter, it still looks like modern and cool, not like yesterday's science fiction.

I've owned more than a few Monsters, and have none presently (partly because they retain value suprisingly well; they're an easy flip), whenever I see one in the wild I smile, and know that the guy wearing it isn't a jagoff.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 2nd 2018, 10:12pm

I like that very much art!
How's the loo - fuck that's bright!
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » August 2nd 2018, 10:14pm

Iconic watch that was so popular on the forums, it became a symbol of rabid, newbie watch fans, myself included. There's a video somewhere.

Can't go wrong with the Chatbox. Many a purchase have been made and influenced in there.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 2nd 2018, 10:29pm

bobbee wrote:I like that very much art!
How's the loo - fuck that's bright!

The lume on the Monster is indeed nuclear. Compared to an SMP, the Omega looks like a fucking pussy compared to the Monster. You could light a cigarette off the Monster's lume.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » August 3rd 2018, 1:46am

Thanks for the kind words fellahs! I forgot to mention the drilled lugs, so I must apologize in advance for all the forthcoming shots with different straps in the next few days!
artman
Master of Time

Postby codguy » August 3rd 2018, 6:03am

Good going Arty! I still own one and have gifted about 4-5 of em.

Conj helped me fix mine when the thing sped up something fierce.
codguy
ASSHAT

Return to Your New Watch