Zeno Bubbleback

Zeno Bubbleback

Postby Sminkypinky » June 21st 2018, 12:34pm

Just snagged a NOS Zeno Bubbleback:
Miyota movement, 32mm diameter (never thought I'd wear anything that small).
Couple of quirks: lume markers on the dial but no lume on the hands. Drilled lugs on one side only. Case back appears to be of the Rolex type but is actually snap-on.
Find I'm quite liking it - like having a vintage piece but without the worries of water getting in.
Pics taken on a 7.25 wrist.

Sminkypinky

Re: Zeno Bubbleback

Postby koimaster » June 21st 2018, 1:14pm

Nice looking, clean lines. It it simple and is my preferred look in my own watches. Classic.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 21st 2018, 1:33pm

I think it really looks OK. As far as homages go, definitely not bad. And they even managed to stay true to the original size! Now that's something one doesn't see particularly often... Got to really applaud Zeno for that.

The press-in back is a bit of a downside to it, though - I mean, would it really bloody hurt them to make it a screw-in one?

Concerning the size, I really wouldn't be so concerned about that. The case is chunky, so it doesn't look small - that's one thing. The other thing is, why care about size? In that respect, caring is not an advantage, it's a silly - and by all means redundant - impediment in enjoying a watch (matters not if a reissue, a homage, or the original vintage thing).

It could theoretically sound like a small-wristed bloke pontificating, but that's only partly correct, as I do have a 6.75'' wrist, but on this small wrist of mine I wear even smaller stuff, that being 28mm - yes, 28mm watches were gents' watches alright. It's all about the proportions of the design features, you see... And about not giving a flying fuck.

One 28mm, from 1943:

A rather chunky - but still 28mm - Taubert case from 1959:

And here's 32mm, only it's mostly dial, with hardly any bezel:
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.
Voltaire
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Sminkypinky » June 21st 2018, 8:14pm

Nice watches you have there. I had a vintage Rolex that was 34mm - that was the watch that got me into smaller sizes.
Hit hard times a few years ago and had to sell it. The Zeno is a nice budget replacement for it and kinda scratches the itch a little.
Sminkypinky

Postby biglove » June 21st 2018, 9:03pm

Looks good.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Your New Watch