Orient Panda

Orient Panda

Postby nimbleboy » May 3rd 2018, 7:38pm

I saw this watch on Instagram and it really caught my eye. Obviously a lot of these panda chronos look similar, but I've been really happy with my other Orients and figured this was as good a way as any to scratch the chronograph itch I've had for a couple years now. Anyway, this is a JDM watch, and I ordered from MOON-DOG by way of Amazon, which is the same way I got my Alpinist. Like my Alpinist, this one arrived well before the dates I was given. It was a nice surprise.

I like it a lot. It seems, as Bi-Glove noted, like a good bang for my buck. I love that it's solar. As long as I'm buying quartz, it's nice that I don't have to think about the battery for a long while. I wish the diameter were about 2mm smaller, but it fits my wrist, I think. I think it has nice balance and it doesn't look cheap at all.

I have a question. I knew the bracelet would most likely be the usual subpar Orient dealio and I was right. I've gotten pretty decent/fast at sizing bracelets. Or maybe not: Both pins I removed were rendered useless in the process. They were loose and slipped right out the bottom. Any idea about that, oh, wise ones? It's never happened to me before.

As you can see, I've been trying different straps on it. I'm pretty sure I'll buy a new bracelet for it.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Orient Panda

Postby Racer-X » May 3rd 2018, 7:58pm

The Neo 70's is a cool watch. Seems the bracelet is pin and collar. If so, I'd guess the collars may be missing. Orient may provide spare links that would come with the pins and collars. Can always use friction pins and widen the end with a needle nose if it's still loose.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 3rd 2018, 8:09pm

Nice one! Love the Panda look.

Regarding the pins--I've only sized a few Orient bracelets that used the collar system--pretty much every Orient Star I've owned, and a couple of divers. The Stars had the collars hidden in the center link, kind of like some of the Swiss brands do. With the lower-end Orients I've had, all of them had friction pins only, but the pins were pretty thin metal and easy to fuck up.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 4th 2018, 4:04am

Really nice.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » May 4th 2018, 5:09am

Regarding the bracelet, I think these are "easy to fuck up" friction pins. I still think I'm going to bail on it and get a different one. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 4th 2018, 10:55am

Quite nice, indeed, sir.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » May 4th 2018, 2:44pm

Very nice. Looks especially cool on that brown canvas strap.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » May 4th 2018, 2:53pm

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Rusty » May 4th 2018, 4:23pm

I like it. Congrats and enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time