My 2nd Omega

My 2nd Omega

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 21st 2018, 4:45pm

So, while yesterday I've been out of the office, the parcel with a new addition to the collection arrived there. Opened the parcel today, and, well, here it is:
Posted a pic in the WRUW thread before, now it's time for the full story (I hope I'm not boring you all to death with these!).

Not a flea market find, as my watches usually are - this time, I've bought it from my friend, who services my watches, and who recently bought a Speedmaster, so this little Omega just didn't get the wrist time, and has been collecting dust in a safe. Paid even more than for the "Golden Disaster" 14ct Tissot, but fuck me, I really wanted one of these things badly, for a long time. The 30T2 has been giving me a massive boner whenever I saw one, so, well, when I got the opportunity to get one, I did.
The watch was fully serviced last year, and runs at +8 seconds per day. Not bad, not bad.

The watch is a ref. MI 2214, first introduced in 1941. Here's the entry for the reference in the Omega Vintage Database:
https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-mi-2214/
Now, I know, I know..."Why the fuck is the dial different from the one in the OVD pic?"
Well, obviously, because one reference could have been equipped with a number of dial/hands combinations. My watch is an MI 2214-9, so the watch in the OVD is one of the other 8 (assuming there weren't even more of them...).

The movement is quite interesting - cal. 30T2 PC AM, which is a slightly modified (anti-magnetic) version of the first shockproof 30T2 - the 30T2 PC, first used in the Suveran, made for the Swedish market. A pretty standard 15 jewels, Breguet hairspring, Incabloc.
This piece dates to 1946 or thereabouts, so the movement inside has the coppery-tone plating to it, as opposed to the earlier 30T2s.

Why don't I show it, then... Well, that's because I haven't got a proper knife with me now, definitely not one up to the task. The opening lip's really narrow, so it needs a model maker's knife, or a Stanley knife to open it. No, a blunt case knife won't do the trick - for that matter, I don't know what spastic cock invented the blunt case knife, but may crooked bellends grow on his fucking grave. These things excel at damaging the area around the opening lip. A sharp, very thin blade is far better a tool, if one doesn't use it like an ape. I, fortunately, don't, so there will be movement shots, worry not.
The second thing is that this case design, while theoretically a press-in, isn't just a press-in. It's the very same thing that I've got in my Roamer and my Zenith, both from 1948. The bezel and the main bloc are one piece, and the movement rests in a bowl-like case back, pressed at the dial edge and collar around the baseplate by both parts of the case. That said, upon separating the pieces of the case, it has to be gently lifted out by the collar, and the wee bastard is supposedly pretty hard to get out of the fucking bowl that it sits in. Something of a space-saver, as the case doesn't require screws. With this watch housing a 30mm movement in a 32mm case, you can imagine what I mean. 30T2-powered watches (or powered by one of its later derivatives) usually were sized 33-35mm.

While we're at the topic of the case, it's stunning. The original finishing is - surprisingly - all there. All the edges are still intact, all the facets on the lugs are OK, the contrast polishing - especially visible in terms of the polished bezel and the brushed side - is still there. The original circular brushing to the case back is only flawed by a trace left by a coarse nylon strap of poor quality, on which some ape has been wearing the watch. I'd very much like to know who that was, so that I could string him up by the balls on the nearest street lamp.

Brushing to the side of the case

The crystal's a very low-domed one, which is really good, as there isn't much of a distortion effect around the edges. The crown, while unsigned (as it should - Omega didn't use signed crowns until late in 1947/early in 1948), is genuine, and correct for the reference.

The watch came with an Omega-signed pin buckle. Usually, I hardly give a fuck about buckles. Given that it is uncommon for watches to still have their original pin buckles, I suppose that while I don't care if a buckle is signed (if it is, I'm keeping it, obviously), a lot of people in times past cared far less than me. Well, it's definitely not a 1940s buckle, and for that matter, I've no idea if the buckle is even genuine, but even if it isn't, I wouldn't care, as it's not a vital part, and - as I've said - to many, it was simply a disposable one.

OK, after all my boring talking, a wrist shot:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: My 2nd Omega

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2018, 4:48pm

Great pics, great write-up, great watch!

But, do you have to use the F-word so much? Some of us here have sensitive ears, for fuck's sakes.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » February 21st 2018, 4:58pm

That is awesome looking; Omega at their best. Nice catch.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 21st 2018, 4:58pm

conjurer wrote:Great pics, great write-up, great watch!

But, do you have to use the F-word so much? Some of us here have sensitive ears, for fuck's sakes.

Thanks, Mr. Conjurer!

I've used it only 6 times in this one. Well, that's unless I've skipped one while I've been counting them just now, as I'm pretty tired after the entire day. Besides, I've got to contribute to the statistics :lol:

3Flushes wrote:That is awesome looking; Omega at their best. Nice catch.

Thanks, mate!
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby artman » February 21st 2018, 5:06pm

Oh that's fucking beautiful.
artman
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » February 21st 2018, 5:33pm

A suitable companion for your Eterna..you have found favor with the Watch Gods...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » February 21st 2018, 5:34pm

Great fucking review you wrote. I like the fucking dial and strap as well.

and for good measure

:slowpo11:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2018, 5:43pm

koimaster wrote:Great fucking review you wrote. I like the fucking dial and strap as well.

and for good measure

And Baby Jesus, too.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 21st 2018, 6:21pm

koimaster wrote:Great fucking review you wrote. I like the fucking dial and strap as well.

and for good measure

Thanks, Koi!

No idea who or what Slowpo is, but then again, I haven't been here for long enough to know all the local folklore :D

In case anyone wondered, the strap was made by a fairly small manufacturer in Germany, called Graf. The model is "Derby" - got another one of these on the Eterna, and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Ox leather, soft lining, and really comfortable - doesn't need time to soften and adjust to the wrist, just fits like a glove from the very beginning. Oh, and the free loop doesn't fly all around the strap. Dunno if anyone retails them in the US, though.
My friend had an entire batch of them, as he plans to retail Graf straps in the Netherlands and within the EU - the manufacturer does wholesale only, so it's impossible to get one directly from them. They cost about 18 euro (well, at least the Derby), which is good value for the money - at least in my experience with these straps.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » February 21st 2018, 7:35pm

Damn, that’s sexy!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2018, 7:45pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

and for good measure

Thanks, Koi!

No idea who or what Slowpo is, but then again, I haven't been here for long enough to know all the local folklore :D

In case anyone wondered, the strap was made by a fairly small manufacturer in Germany, called Graf. The model is "Derby" - got another one of these on the Eterna, and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Ox leather, soft lining, and really comfortable - doesn't need time to soften and adjust to the wrist, just fits like a glove from the very beginning. Oh, and the free loop doesn't fly all around the strap. Dunno if anyone retails them in the US, though.
My friend had an entire batch of them, as he plans to retail Graf straps in the Netherlands and within the EU - the manufacturer does wholesale only, so it's impossible to get one directly from them. They cost about 18 euro (well, at least the Derby), which is good value for the money - at least in my experience with these straps.

Is it "Derby" or "Darby??" Here at WLs we expect--nay, demand--absolute precision in our reviewers.

Slowpo, for those newer members, was a late, pretty-much-unlamented member; I don't know if he was one of the original gang, but he was here before me. Anyway, Slowpo was an almost pre-verbal Cromagnon, a loutish fellow who contributed little apart from weird, homoerotic rants in introduction threads concerning torture, rectal blockage, and most disconcertingly, pineapples thrust up people's pee-holes. He did have some utility, though, in running off trolls. Naturally, such a guy was going to spontaneously combust sooner or later (or put his head through the drywall, as we say around here) and did, in pretty spectacular fashion.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 21st 2018, 9:08pm

This thread is the exact opposite of "boring us to death" - great stuff, man. This is watch collecting, friends.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby catnap » February 22nd 2018, 1:20am

Hoity fucking toity.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » February 22nd 2018, 1:44am

When I opened this fucking thread, I thought it was going to be about something modern and relatively fucking big. But that's sleek and a lot more minimalist (in a not-trying-hard) way than a fucking Nomos. I fucking like it!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 22nd 2018, 4:52am

conjurer wrote:Is it "Derby" or "Darby??" Here at WLs we expect--nay, demand--absolute precision in our reviewers

It’s ”Derby”, like in ”Derbyshire.”
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » February 22nd 2018, 5:46am

Lovely watch Mike, I absolutely love it.

And it's "DArby", you fucking ignorant fucking heathen fucks. I LIVE THERE!

Well, Derbyshire any way.

Why you fucking limp-dick ignorami refer to it as "durby" I don't know. Fucking colonials...fucking with my language...can't fpell fome of our ancient words right...
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » February 22nd 2018, 5:54am

Well done and informative.
Six times only?

101 for 'ya. Proper music, pip pip and all that.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » February 22nd 2018, 6:21am

Ha, I wonder how many takes the guy needed? I would be breaking up with every sentence.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » February 22nd 2018, 8:37am

That's cool. I enjoy seeing and hearing about the history and movements.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby catnap » February 22nd 2018, 9:20am

bobbee wrote:Lovely watch Mike, I absolutely love it.

And it's "DArby", you fucking ignorant fucking heathen fucks. I LIVE THERE!

Well, Derbyshire any way.

Why you fucking limp-dick ignorami refer to it as "durby" I don't know. Fucking colonials...fucking with my language...can't fpell fome of our ancient words right...

Derby!?!? Southern poof. Yorkshire lad me thar nose
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » February 22nd 2018, 9:42am

Sheffield? Or oop north? Went to Whitby last year, going again this year, love it. Did the Cleveland Way once, loved it. Land of the gods after Derbyshire.

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby catnap » February 22nd 2018, 9:46am

bobbee wrote:Sheffield? Or oop north? Went to Whitby last year, going again this year, love it. Did the Cleveland Way once, loved it. Land of the gods after Derbyshire.

Yep Sheffield. My wife’s a Derbyshire lass, Chesser.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby catnap » February 22nd 2018, 9:51am

I’m actually from Bristol so have suffered years of being labelled a Cockney. I’ve tried to explain otherwise but it falls on deaf ears up here.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » February 22nd 2018, 10:05am

I was born in Westminster and spent my first year or so there before moving to Derbyshire, very close to DH Lawrence's home.

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 22nd 2018, 3:04pm

Thunder1 wrote:A suitable companion for your Eterna..you have found favor with the Watch Gods...

That it is indeed :D

As to the Watch Gods, they've been unusually generous to me recently - I only hope they won't decide to balance it out with any mainspring, balance staff or cannon pinion issues.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Next

Return to Your New Watch