Anyone have lizard straps?

This forum is for Horology related reference information

Anyone have lizard straps?

Postby tiktok » March 3rd 2018, 5:45pm

They look really glossy at first but turn matte quickly, so my question kids this, are lizard straps attractive over the long haul or do they get too dull and less attractive?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Anyone have lizard straps?

Postby foghorn » March 3rd 2018, 6:03pm

You can always polish your lizard.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 3rd 2018, 8:01pm

tiktok wrote:They look really glossy at first but turn matte quickly

This can be either a flaw or a desirable feature, depending on one's preferences in terms of aesthetics. For one, I prefer a more matte appearance to my straps.

tiktok wrote:are lizard straps attractive over the long haul or do they get too dull and less attractive?

For what it's worth, I've got a lizard strap on my '48 Zenith - here's how it looked three years ago:

...and how it looks now:

Obviously, it did lose a bit of the gloss over time, but then again, even when new, it wasn't glossy. Something between semi-gloss and semi-matte, hard to say. Frankly, I like it just like I did the way I bought it, and when it wears out, I'll seek to get an identical one, and hopefully this particular one will still be available.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 3rd 2018, 9:18pm

When my lizard straps lose their luster, which they inevitably do, I apply a few very thin coats of Kiwi 'Neutral' Shoe Polish, using a very tiny drop of water and a cotton rag, such as a portion of an old t-shirt. This process is just like "spit shining" shoes -- something I'm sure they had you doing in the IDF, unless you've lapsed back into being a FD&H civilian again -- and it works quite well and lasts at least through a half-dozen subsequent wearing's.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » March 3rd 2018, 11:12pm

Dayam that Zenith is sweet MK!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » March 4th 2018, 6:40am

None of my lizards have straps, just knives.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 4th 2018, 8:34am

I have three lizard straps (I think), most notably on my Rolex - but even with care, it's dulling and it's gonna get replaced.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » March 4th 2018, 11:35am

Mortuus wrote:When my lizard straps lose their luster, which they inevitably do, I apply a few very thin coats of Kiwi 'Neutral' Shoe Polish, using a very tiny drop of water and a cotton rag, such as a portion of an old t-shirt. This process is just like "spit shining" shoes -- something I'm sure they had you doing in the IDF, unless you've lapsed back into being a FD&H civilian again -- and it works quite well and lasts at least through a half-dozen subsequent wearing's.

Yuh - works a treat, keeps your lizard shining and even gives it that "new lizard" smell.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to All about Horology