Purty Watches of Manhattan

This forum is for Horology related reference information

Purty Watches of Manhattan

Postby tiktok » April 15th 2017, 6:45pm

I am surrounded by purty, fancy, expensive watches all day and most of the time I have other things on my mind but occasionally I will slip into a boutique or AD and see off there's anything new to admire. I want to feature one watch each week that most of us would never see in the wild. I recently did a trade for a Richard Lange Boutique Edition three hander and will share some more photos when my cousin returns from holiday in Israel. It's in his safe.

Until then, I started at the north end of the horological Golden mile at the FP Journe boutique. Journe is the highest horological brand to feature its own boutique in Manhattan. A master of complication, finish work and inventiveness, the store has a very dark old world appeal highlighted by an all female band of sales associates. The last time I was in the store Journe offered an all aluminum sports watch that was incredibly light (50 grams) and the bracelet sounded like a baby rattle when the links clanked each other. As an reengineering feat I gave it five stars but the soft brittle aluminum omnipresent just made it seem like it could dent in the midst of sports activity. Or maybe they just called it sports activity because one has to put it on and take it off.

Anyhow, Journe revamped the watch in 2014 and the Octa Sport Titanium AR was born. This time the watch was completely titanium on the outside, a very dark titanium with rubber inserts to protect the links, lugs and crown. I have several watches that use vulcanized rubber for extra shock protection and I really like the added security. The Octa runs about 40mm and features date wheel, day/night indicator, power reserve. The finish work, as with Langes is top shelf even though this is one of his less expensive pieces at $28k msrp. The watch fit is excellent but with a watch this light I really don't notice its presence. I think I like watches that weigh under 175 grams but not that feel like a baby bracelet on the wrist. Personally I would be scared to wear this for a pick up game of hoops. Also, while intriguing to look at the titanium finish is very dark to the point of depressing. Here's the lousy camera wrist shot.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Purty Watches of Manhattan

Postby conjurer » April 15th 2017, 7:10pm

Dang. Fuck.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » April 15th 2017, 7:26pm

Very cool, tiktok. Living in a pretty small town, there is not even a decent watchmaker within 200 miles of here much less, a watch to be seen for sale anywhere but a jewelry or department store.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 15th 2017, 7:31pm

Many AD's here
I seldom visit them now
I have too much stuff

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » April 15th 2017, 10:28pm

Here's the Octa Sport movement - all aluminum, 5 day power reserve, lots of cool finish work even with a minimum of complications.

Next week I will probably check out the new Bvlgari Finissimo, record breaking thin watch. I don't know if it's in stores yet. I find it very frustrating to keep pace with the manufacture. They show all their new pieces at Basel or SIHH but don't show up for months. Seiko which got very mixed reviews for its GS reinvention did have most of the pieces in the boutiques the same week.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » April 16th 2017, 8:32am

Very cool...you East Coast dudes have it made when it comes to shopping for watches..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Nuvolari » April 16th 2017, 12:45pm

Great post - thanks for the review!
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 16th 2017, 3:36pm

Nice review, but feh.

This model looks to want to be a few different things, but accomplishes none of them, as you note, what's particularly sporty, or updated about an out of place font for the numbers with the P-R and whatnot.

EDIT- Now that I look at it some more, the hands are all wrong with that font also, too.

28 K for that schtick-drek is nowhere near enough; I can't wait not to buy it. (Ha! Like I could anyway, but it's the sentiment that counts. Ummmhm).
Last edited by 3Flushes on April 17th 2017, 12:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Ofcmark » April 16th 2017, 4:31pm

Nice review I'll be looking forward to your future reviews. I'm about an hour and a half away from Chicago there are some A/D there but can't see making the trip just window shop. There is a jewelry shop up by the name of Razny in Addison Illinois I could spend a couple hours there
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » April 16th 2017, 4:50pm

Journe has a font and he is sticking to it. I like it on classic watches.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » April 16th 2017, 6:22pm

Hell, I just want to see a Grand Seiko in the metal.

Look forward to your adventures at various boutiques. Color me green at the opportunity to spend a few days trying on so many different brands.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » April 16th 2017, 7:15pm

tiktok wrote:Journe has a font and he is sticking to it. I like it on classic watches.

Agreed.

This watch knows who it is, and it is nice on this watch.

I just don't care for the OP watch I reckon- and your right about the titanium, it is depressing- it looks institutional like.
Last edited by 3Flushes on April 17th 2017, 12:24am, edited 1 time in total.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 16th 2017, 7:20pm

3Flushes wrote:I just don't care for the OP watch I reckon- and your right about the titanium, it is depressing- it looks institutional like.

And Flushes knows institutional.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 17th 2017, 12:08am

conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:I just don't care for the OP watch I reckon- and your right about the titanium, it is depressing- it looks institutional like.

It wasn't all nice like it is now during my time in college I can tell you that, my friend.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 17th 2017, 8:08am

3Flushes wrote:
conjurer wrote:

It wasn't all nice like it is now during my time in college I can tell you that, my friend.

Yeah, but you did your time got your degree like a man, and didn't talk to the fucking bulls professors and shit so forth.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to All about Horology