Rules For Watch Collectors

This forum is for Horology related reference information

Re: Rules For Watch Collectors

Postby eddiea » July 5th 2012, 1:47pm

Funny, I did not get one, based in your experience.
This watch should have been a winner ...a rare miss by Eddie.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tomsimac » August 28th 2012, 10:48am

Had to come bck and say Kois post was to put it mildly
The best advice I ever read on watch collecting
Saved me a lot of grief, money and enlightened me. Now I think of this and I think Foghorns advice to wear your best watch when browsing.
Thanks I owe a big debt to each.
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Rules for collecting

Postby Und3rground » August 30th 2012, 3:19pm

Thank you koimaster for sharing the rules for collecting watches. However, "dont judge anyone by the watch they may wear, (unless it is an invicta)". so when did don't judge become provisional? Other than that I agree with the rest of the 24 rules. In fact I took something from all those that posted a replied on the rules, except for one that lives outside my house.
Last edited by Anonymous on August 30th 2012, 5:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Missed a quotation mark
Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » August 31st 2012, 1:10am

Mortuus wrote:
Slowpo wrote:most of the guys here in WL's Don't fallow this rules, buying Renatos,Invicta,deep blue, seagull and more shit.

And most of us guys here have something to say when we post, rather than just run everyone else down, talk about homo-erotic fantasies and otherwise shit into every thread we get into. We talk about our experiences as watch collectors. I haven't seen one fucking worthwhile thing from you, pederast freak, much less one fucking worthwhile thing about watches. And now you've delivered yet another load of verbal troll diarrhea into yet another serious, thoughtful thread...way to go, Corkey, way to go...

I suggest you visit the NAMBLA site, as it's more suited to your interests and area of expertise. You and all the other child-molesting motherfuckers can get nice 'n hard listening to each others' made-up 'bitch stories.' You know, work on your 'rhythm,' Corkey.

Enough of this shit.

Welcome to my ignore list, you numb fucking cunt...

Christ. Say what you feel, Mort.

Funnily enough, I agree with your sentiments.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » August 31st 2012, 8:07am

conjurer wrote: I sure am, Eddie. I expected so much more from British engineering.

You've obviously never lived here!

By 'British' I expect you mean 'English'. We're all different here, you know. Unless we're finishing third at the Olympics. And we're doing really well at the paralympics.

Many months ago I posted here that I thought some of our number have psychological problems. I've seen nothing since to make me change my mind, although I would now add that no matter how trying, or exasperating, these things can get, please to be aware of the effect that our words can have on other people.

Tea and muffins, anyone?

itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Iron Mountain » August 31st 2012, 11:45am

Rule 1 in my little life has always been, 'rules are for guidance only'
Iron Mountain
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Und3rground » August 31st 2012, 1:02pm

itfc1959 wrote:
conjurer wrote: I sure am, Eddie. I expected so much more from British engineering.

[color=red][color=red][color=red]By 'British' I expect you mean 'English'. We're all different here, you know. Unless we're finishing third at the Olympics. And we're doing really well at the paralympics.
[/color]
[/color][/color]
Many months ago I posted here that I thought some of our number have psychological problems. I've seen nothing since to make me change my mind, although I would now add that no matter how trying, or exasperating, these things can get, please to be aware of the effect that our words can have on other people.

Tea and muffins, anyone?

I am trying my very best to understand what you meant when you were referring to any Olympiad placing third (which you couldn't do) and some of our finest military veterans that served our country in the most honorable way that are participating in the Paralympics. So, what did you mean to say?
Last edited by Anonymous on August 31st 2012, 2:19pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: To move post placement and grammar
Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 31st 2012, 1:07pm

Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tomsimac » August 31st 2012, 2:46pm

I didn’t get the red letters. Does that mean something?
Everyone is different in the isles means class, a thousand years of privilege and so many f'king ( pun intended) nobles who are gayly living life as they wish whilst writing bibles? I think my red ink friend needs to clean up his words in all columns as I differ in his meaning somewhat a lot, like yah know, Bloody hell I say. Bugger off and ship ahoy.
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 31st 2012, 3:34pm

tomsimac wrote:I didn’t get the red letters. Does that mean something?
Everyone is different in the isles means class, a thousand years of privilege and so many f'king ( pun intended) nobles who are gayly living life as they wish whilst writing bibles? I think my red ink friend needs to clean up his words in all columns as I differ in his meaning somewhat a lot, like yah know, Bloody hell I say. Bugger off and ship ahoy.

I'm not sure who said what; but its all capital fun, don't you know!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Und3rground » August 31st 2012, 5:12pm

The red letters where to highlight......why am I explaining myself to you when I did not quote you nor addressed you. Thank you.
Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 31st 2012, 5:31pm

Und3rground wrote:

The red letters where to highlight......why am I explaining myself to you when I did not quote you nor addressed you. Thank you.

Jesus Christ! What a friendly post!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Und3rground » August 31st 2012, 5:51pm

I was not trying to be unfriendly to Tomsimac nor Conjurer. I was addressing itfc1959 only. I still wish for the person that post what I highlighted in red, itfc1959 to explain what it meant with out any profanity. So what gives Tomsimac or Conjurer, not friendly? Now my wife wants popcorn!!!

Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » August 31st 2012, 7:35pm

Und3rground wrote:I was not trying to be unfriendly to Tomsimac nor Conjurer. I was addressing itfc1959 only. I still wish for the person that post what I highlighted in red, itfc1959 to explain what it meant with out any profanity. So what gives Tomsimac or Conjurer, not friendly? Now my wife wants popcorn!!!Image

Normally I'd break your balls, Und3rground, for being passive-aggressive, but the final line in your post made me laugh hard. Just take it easy, goddamn it!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Und3rground » August 31st 2012, 9:01pm

Und3rground wrote:
itfc1959 wrote:

[color=red][color=red][color=red]By 'British' I expect you mean 'English'. We're all different here, you know. Unless we're finishing third at the Olympics. And we're doing really well at the paralympics.
[/color]
[/color][/color]

Tea and muffins, anyone?

I am trying my very best to understand what you meant when you were referring to any Olympiad placing third (which you couldn't do) and some of our finest military veterans that served our country in the most honorable way that are participating in the Paralympics. So, what did you mean to say?

Ok, nice and easy. itfc1959 and only itfc1959 please answer the question. Now I want you to pay close attention to the highlighted, letters in red, while answering my question. There it can not be any easier to understand than that, but we shall see.
Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Don Barzini » August 31st 2012, 9:19pm

Fuck the English.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby Iron Mountain » September 1st 2012, 1:16am

Don Barzini wrote:Fuck the English.

An often quoted sentiment..... considering in our own small way we've royally f@cked the whole of the world

('Image')
Iron Mountain
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Und3rground » September 1st 2012, 1:28pm

Iron Mountain wrote:
Don Barzini wrote:Fuck the English.

An often quoted sentiment..... considering in our own small way we've royally f@cked the whole of the world

('Image')

Yeah, we sent the British Empire packing back in 1812, it's been awhile, no hard feelings, right?

Und3rground
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tomsimac » September 1st 2012, 6:46pm

Wow
No offense taken
Was lol...
Wife thinks I am nuts.
Best group of guys on any forum
Never take anything serious and never try to out do the pros in here in jest or banter.
If you look the post was an old post Image and I was thanking Koi and Foghorn. Then it went viral and I loved it.
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » September 1st 2012, 11:25pm

Und3rground wrote:
itfc1959 wrote:

[/color]
[/color][/color]

Ok, nice and easy. itfc1959 and only itfc1959 please answer the question. Now I want you to pay close attention to the highlighted, letters in red, while answering my question. There it can not be any easier to understand than that, but we shall see.

I haven't got a fucking clue what you're asking me. Try asking me in English and proper sentences.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Iron Mountain » September 2nd 2012, 12:31am

Und3rground wrote:

Yeah, we sent the British Empire packing back in 1812, it's been awhile, no hard feelings, right?

Absolutely no hard feelings at all. I believe by 1813 trade had been re-established and by 1816 we had actually bought just about all the US, although I don't think you've figured it out yet. Who exactly is it that owns your federal banks and prints money when ever it feels like it?

Rule 1, 'Rules are for guidance only'
Rule 2, 'Rudjard Kiplings Great Game, the game of shadows'
Iron Mountain
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » September 2nd 2012, 12:46am

Und3rground wrote:
itfc1959 wrote:

[/color]
[/color][/color]

Ok.

When I drew the distinction between English and British I was gently pointing out that the two terms are often used interchangeably, when that really isn’t the case in everyday life. Most people I know, and those who work in the UK media – where this stuff gets reported – tend to indentify individuals by their nation of origin, as opposed to the generic title of being ‘British’, or being from Great Britain. But for our purposes this morning, I’ll be using GB hereafter as shorthand.

The recent London Olympics was one of those rare examples where the constituent states appeared to forget their differences for a week or two and performed as part of Team GB, which in case you hadn’t noticed, and to clarify what seems to be a question from you, finished third in the medal table. An astonishing achievement.

(At the time of writing Team GB is sitting third in the Paralympics medal table with 36 medals: Team USA are currently sixth, with 22 medals).

There are a few other bits and pieces from other posts:

Rain. Depends where you live. In terms of annual rainfall, London is drier than Istanbul and Rome. If you live on the Western side of the Island, it rains. A lot. If you live to the South and East, it doesn’t and drought has been a real problem for the past ten years, at least. Nobody seems to know how to get the wet stuff over from the West to the East. The water system isn’t that joined up, you see. Isn’t that incredible?

The climate is changing. The French Champagne growers are buying up large swathes of the South Coast (the south-facing slopes, anyway) and growing champagne grapes. The climate on England’s south coast is now apparently the same as the French Champagne Region enjoyed 25-30 years ago.
Natural Resources; Until very recently the UK used to be pretty much self-reliant on coal, gas, oil, steel: successive Right-wing governments have decided that they don’t like the industrial muscle such industries give their workers, and have closed the coal and steel industries down, preferring to import from Eastern Europe. Gas and Oil and the incomes thereof were used to pay for the 4.5 million unemployed in the 1980s, after these industries were sold off at knock-down rates during the Privatisation scam. What a waste. We ought to have had the best infrastructure in Europe: the best schools, road, housing and hospitals, and it all got wasted keeping people out of work.

Class. It’s a lot more pernicious than I think you all realise, over there. To keep matters simple let me refer you to a review of a book called ‘Who Owns Britain?’ Everything you need to know is here: but to give you a taste, here are some numbers:
“A tiny minority exploits British society. 160,000 families, 0.3% of the population, own 37 million acres, two thirds of Britain, 230 acres each. Just 1,252 of them own 57% of Scotland. They pay no land tax. Instead every government gives them £2.3 billion a year and the EU gives them a further £2 billion. Each family gets £26,875.

By contrast, 57.5 million of us pay £10 billion a year in council tax, a land tax, £550 per household. We live in 24 million homes on about four million acres. 65% of homes are privately owned, so 16 million of us own just 2.8 million acres, an average 0.18 acres each.”

Read all about it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Owns-Britain-Ireland-Kevin-Cahill/dp/1841953105

Hope this clarifies matters. And yes, there are no hard feelings about 1812, or indeed anything else to do with the Revolution and the Boston Tea Party, although I would quite like to shag that Sarah Palin (did you see what I did there?) And having watched Mitt Romney’s acceptance speech (Mitt? Mitt?) earlier this week, I think it all worked out best for everyone, in the end.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tomsimac » September 2nd 2012, 4:28am

Can someone tell me if it is acceptable to explain the unexplainable?
And where else on the planet are people not always seeking an identity to be different so as to get benefits.
We have Afro Americans, black Americans, Oreo Americans, colored Americans from ( fill in the blank) and Hawaiian Americans who have .... Oh my
I can get into trouble. Must look at the census forms. And then you have all the varieties based on gender or preferences. I think we need an enema and stop all this shit
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby itfc1959 » September 2nd 2012, 5:06am

tomsimac wrote:Can someone tell me if it is acceptable to explain the unexplainable?
And where else on the planet are people not always seeking an identity to be different so as to get benefits.
We have Afro Americans, black Americans, Oreo Americans, colored Americans from ( fill in the blank) and Hawaiian Americans who have .... Oh my
I can get into trouble. Must look at the census forms. And then you have all the varieties based on gender or preferences. I think we need an enema and stop all this shit

But doesn't all this contribute to a degree of homogeneity that we don't seem to have in the UK? We seem to have a real issue with young second-generation Asian men who seem to have no empathy with the rest of the UK and who are, as we speak, fighting for the Talib4n in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » September 2nd 2012, 1:02pm

Thanks Koi,,, words of wisdom. I too have too many watches and have felt the let down,,, It's all good fun. Working on picking up two more before Christmas, He, He,, Oh and I have no more Invictas,,
,Image
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

PreviousNext

Return to All about Horology