Orange Watch company - still viable?

Orange Watch company - still viable?

Postby koimaster » January 10th 2017, 10:30am

The website is up but I have not heard about them in years.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Orange Watch company - still viable?

Postby eddiea » January 10th 2017, 10:57am

Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » January 10th 2017, 11:02am

eddiea wrote:Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....

I just wrote them a note to see what was going on. Their website commented that they had to find another source of movements as their previous supplier raised the prices too high.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby eddiea » January 10th 2017, 11:29am

koimaster wrote:
eddiea wrote:Shame really , a very good product that always had issues with deliver delays ....

I just wrote them a note to see what was going on. Their website commented that they had to find another source of movements as their previous supplier raised the prices too high.

Mine have an excellent Soprod!
eddiea

Postby conjurer » January 10th 2017, 11:51am

I've honestly heard nothing but great things about OWC, which is located in New Zealand or Sumatra or some fucking place down there.

Unlike most micros, the guy who runs it (his name escapes me, but it probably starts with Bruce) is said to be very upfront about how long it takes to get one of his watches--and as Eddie states above, it can take a long time indeed--but OWC won't take payment until the watch is ready to ship.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » January 10th 2017, 6:30pm

eddiea wrote:
koimaster wrote:

Mine have an excellent Soprod!

Seiko for the win!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » January 10th 2017, 6:40pm

conjurer wrote:I've honestly heard nothing but great things about OWC, which is located in New Zealand or Sumatra or some fucking place down there.

Unlike most micros, the guy who runs it (his name escapes me, but it probably starts with Bruce) is said to be very upfront about how long it takes to get one of his watches--and as Eddie states above, it can take a long time indeed--but OWC won't take payment until the watch is ready to ship.

Dan has a slightly different business model to every other stinking micro. He has already made his money, so he isn't trying to get a bunch of WUS / WF / DWC simps to bankroll a shitty catalog watch. Rather, he is making the watch he wants to make, and selling to whomever shares his vision. Unfortunately for Dan (and prospective customers) he is very fussy and so there are many delays while he finds the right suppliers, tweaks the designs based on prototypes he receives, etc, etc.

He makes a great watch, but it's probably a lot less stressful to pick some parts out of a catalogue, hash together a piss-poor web page, and upload it to kickstarter.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » January 10th 2017, 7:06pm

A 40.5mm with a Soprod. I would love that movement and that size would be a great fit for me. I think this just made my list.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » January 11th 2017, 11:46am

I reached out to Dan at OWC and received this response-

Hi Alain

Yes mate I am very much alive, well and selling our 6th MilSub release and soon to have a new model in the market.

2016 was a little quiet as I suffered concussion from an ice staking incident and spent some time in the hospital. Aside from the sore head and some sinus complications, all is good.

2017 will see the continuation of the 6th version of the MilSub. I will introduce a non-crown guard ISO-MS-6538. ISO is my "In the Spirit Of" line that takes it inspiration from past classics.

I did revamp my website, but there is never enough re-vamping and I am not good with websites.... http://www.orangewatchcompany.com

Australia is currently rolling out what most countries would consider so-so and very average internet speeds. But slightly better than before and more expensive and probably less reliable. I am now on the super internet, but suffered most days with no connection. Perhaps they should have just stuck with the old tin and string.

Thank you for touching base.

Regards

Dan

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » February 13th 2018, 1:13pm

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » May 17th 2018, 8:51am

Alain,

Just picked up your comment from my website. Yes I am totally hopeless with marketing and the website. Preferring to focus on the product and try and keep the people happy.

Touching base to apologise for the lack of response. But I am here and ready to roll. Thanks for the link on your website

Hope to sell more watches to keep the wife happy…ha-ha

Regards

Dan

Fox International Pty Limited Group

Innovative Accounting & Time Solutions

La maison de l'Horlogerie

Moulder Street, 59A

ORANGE, NSW. 2800,

AUSTRALIA.

Telephone +612 6361-8181

http://www.orangewatchcompany.com/models/

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 17th 2018, 9:50am

Dan makes a superb watch. When we last spoke he wants to shed that microbrand label that some people keep putting on his brand. Here are his words on it.

He just came out with his new leather straps. I just got one in for my 6538. I will post pics here soon.

"Seems like the impressions are that Micro Brands, are in the USD350-550 (under USD1,000) and provide “excellent” value for money, but have some compromises. One does not mind spending USD500 on a watch that has compromises, unlikely to be kept and most likely to be sold on or left in the drawer. They are made down to a price and many use off-the-shelf (cheap) parts and “cheap” movements (i.e. under USD100 – generally under USD60) Seiko (as they will not sell anyone the good ones – 6R15 at the best), Miyota 9015 (again cheap), cheaper Miyota’ s and 2824-2 ETA clones. Most micro brands hit the movement quality ceiling at the 2824-2 (mostly cloned) and that is it. Plus most people shopping in this market is unaware of the ETA2892-A2 and would never pay for a good movement like this.

That is my take on Micro Brand. So I am trying to shake off this image.

OWC parts are bespoke; movements are FAR better with the entry level BETTER than the 2829-A2 with the Soprod; better case; better dials, better hands…..etc. Assembled in Switzerland (some) or Australia by Master Watchmaker, each is individually timed (again aside form that in the movement factory) and individually Pressure Tested. Any part that is NOT of OWC-quality is not used in the assemble (usually thrown away) and we have a policy of evolution and development.

I sell NO watch under USD1,000 and my entry level is USD1,360."
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 17th 2018, 10:13am

Good, more Submariner homage watches. Just what this world really needs.

If I wanted a Sub hommidge, I'd go for a Steinhart, I think. Lots of better ways to spend the sort od money that they're asking for their take on the Sub hommidge genre.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 17th 2018, 10:21am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Good, more Submariner homage watches. Just what this world really needs.

If I wanted a Sub hommidge, I'd go for a Steinhart, I think. Lots of better ways to spend the sort od money that they're asking for their take on the Sub hommidge genre.

Alas, Mr. Bloke, I must disagree (and, surprisingly, agree with Bazinga.) I've known several people who've gotten OWC products, and while I've never seen one in the steel, I would have to go with their impressions, which I respect. The consensus is that OWC makes a superb watch for the money. While their business model (as well as their styling) is somewhat outmoded (more of a hobbyist who makes high quality watches than most micros), OWC is probably a benchmark on how this part of the hobby is run.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 17th 2018, 10:27am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Good, more Submariner homage watches. Just what this world really needs.

Alas, Mr. Bloke, I must disagree (and, surprisingly, agree with Bazinga.) I've known several people who've gotten OWC products, and while I've never seen one in the steel, I would have to go with their impressions, which I respect. The consensus is that OWC makes a superb watch for the money. While their business model (as well as their styling) is somewhat outmoded (more of a hobbyist who makes high quality watches than most micros), OWC is probably a benchmark on how this part of the hobby is run.

I'm not commenting on their quality, but on their designs. Well, not their designs. Heard a lot of good things about OWC pieces, but a)the price point still has me appalled b)especially that the guy can make great watches, not really doing designs of his own seems rather disappointing.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 17th 2018, 10:41am

If I might add something here. I don't understand why some guys will buy multiple sub homages and not just save that money to buy a real sub.

That being said, having owned several different subs myself, OWC is extremely nice quality. Dan did do a dr who inspired watch which can be seen on his website. I went with the DSSD because I prefer 42mm-44mm personally.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby foghorn » May 17th 2018, 10:44am

Any company that copies that stoopit snowflake hour hand from Tooter (akin to Ocean 7 making an Omega PloofPlop copy) can sniff my shorts. He must have done that when he had the concussion. Plus a company that sells via a website whose owner says he's not good at websites? That's like a blogger who can't spell and has bad grammar! Nah!!

I know what rhymes with Orange-FTF'nW does.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 17th 2018, 10:54am

foghorn wrote:Any company that copies that stoopit snowflake hour hand from Tooter (akin to Ocean 7 making an Omega PloofPlop copy) can sniff my shorts. He must have done that when he had the concussion. Plus a company that sells via a website whose owner says he's not good at websites? That's like a blogger who can't spell and has bad grammar! Nah!!

I know what rhymes with Orange-FTF'nW does.

Snowflake hands only belong on Tudor watches(I don't like them either) just like "Mercedes" style hands only belong on a Rolex. The newest shit trend I can stand is telling me that a watch has an escape valve by engraving it on the rehaut. That is two cents on it.
Last edited by Stephenmazinger on May 17th 2018, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 17th 2018, 10:57am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I'm not commenting on their quality, but on their designs. Well, not their designs. Heard a lot of good things about OWC pieces, but a)the price point still has me appalled b)especially that the guy can make great watches, not really doing designs of his own seems rather disappointing.

Good points. I don't tend to like homages that much either. However, there are micros that are shit, and there are micros that are not.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 17th 2018, 12:42pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Good points. I don't tend to like homages that much either. However, there are micros that are shit, and there are micros that are not.

I completely agree with this statement. The truth of the matter is that I will never be able to afford a Rolex 6538. The next best thing in my opinion is OWC Mil-Sub. I have a DSSD to fill that Rolex void in my collection.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 18th 2018, 5:02am

Stephenmazinger wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I completely agree with this statement. The truth of the matter is that I will never be able to afford a Rolex 6538. The next best thing in my opinion is OWC Mil-Sub. I have a DSSD to fill that Rolex void in my collection.

See, Bazinga, it's not exactly the next best thing. The next best thing is, actually, either the basic Tudor Black Bay, or this year's Black Bay Fifty Eight. The new one measures 39mm like the original, big crown, no crown guards, gilt dial, red 60-minute triangular marker on the bezel. That's as close as it gets to the 6538. More importantly, this isn't a Sub clone/homage - it comes from a brand founded and owned by Rolex.
The best sort of homages is only the next best thing to Tudor.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 18th 2018, 5:11am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Stephenmazinger wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:

See, Bazinga, it's not exactly the next best thing. The next best thing is, actually, either the basic Tudor Black Bay, or this year's Black Bay Fifty Eight. The new one measures 39mm like the original, big crown, no crown guards, gilt dial, red 60-minute triangular marker on the bezel. That's as close as it gets to the 6538. More importantly, this isn't a Sub clone/homage - it comes from a brand founded and owned by Rolex.
The best sort of homages is only the next best thing to Tudor.

I agree with you on Tudor. If you are on a under $1500 budget the OWC would be my preferred option. The Tudor Pelagos 2-liner would be my first choice if I couldn't go the Rolex budget. Black Bay line is fantastic as well. I personally want to try a Tudor Ranger.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Return to Military Style Watches