“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: This Fake Rolex Is The Most Accurate Yet

Postby foghorn » June 1st 2019, 1:31pm

Buying a used Rolex is a slippery slope. Unless you have great eyes and a real example for comparison you're a sitting duck.
For that coin it makes no sense to buy used unless it's from an AD.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » June 1st 2019, 10:24pm

Wow... the relative ease with which those jokers can make a reasonable facsimile is brutal...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tomsimac » June 2nd 2019, 8:13am

Yet he nailed it when he mentioned how sick one gets wearing the fake.
I’m that way, every fake or replica I’ve ever come across makes me feel cheap
I just have to push it off. One exception was a Pansy. Damn thing was so well made
And reliable... still had to get rid of it
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » June 2nd 2019, 8:23am

I’m surprised these guys aren’t trying to make the vintage subs, that’s where the money is. With the way they are improving on the new stuff, I would think the vintage would be easier for them to replicate and cash in on.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 2nd 2019, 8:56am

svaglic wrote:I’m surprised these guys aren’t trying to make the vintage subs, that’s where the money is. With the way they are improving on the new stuff, I would think the vintage would be easier for them to replicate and cash in on.

http://rolexpassionmarket.com/high-qual ... lex-dials/
foghorn

Postby Hawk » June 2nd 2019, 9:27am

foghorn wrote:
svaglic wrote:I’m surprised these guys aren’t trying to make the vintage subs, that’s where the money is. With the way they are improving on the new stuff, I would think the vintage would be easier for them to replicate and cash in on.

http://rolexpassionmarket.com/high-qual ... lex-dials/

It's worse than I thought which is rather surprising as I thought it was really bad to start with.

So you need a loupe, a Geiger counter, reference materials and the equivalent of a doctorate degree in comparing one watch to another watch that you've already got in your possession?

Apparently diving into the vintage Rolex market requires that you've already been in the vintage Rolex market for years if not decades. And, after all that, you're still likely to get it in the shorts.

Pass.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » June 2nd 2019, 11:22am

tomsimac wrote:Yet he nailed it when he mentioned how sick one gets wearing the fake.
I just have to push it off. One exception was a Pansy. Damn thing was so well made

That was an interesting observation indeed, however, these slimes aren't making watches for folks like us who would feel dirty wearing one of those pieces of shit. The fakes are made for poseurs who are likely poseurs in many aspects of their lives... a need to impress friends, clients, and the rest of the folks who travel in the circles where poseurs don't belong in the first place.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » June 2nd 2019, 3:53pm

Damn, that link should be a sticky.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 2nd 2019, 4:47pm

3Flushes wrote:
tomsimac wrote:Yet he nailed it when he mentioned how sick one gets wearing the fake.

That was an interesting observation indeed, however, these slimes aren't making watches for folks like us who would feel dirty wearing one of those pieces of shit. The fakes are made for poseurs who are likely poseurs in many aspects of their lives... a need to impress friends, clients, and the rest of the folks who travel in the circles where poseurs don't belong in the first place.

People who buy fake Rolexes are not my worry. It is the people selling fakes as the real deal that is the stuff of nightmares.
"There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever."- Ron White
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 2nd 2019, 5:09pm

biglove wrote:People who buy fake Rolexes are not my worry. It is the people selling fakes as the real deal that is the stuff of nightmares.

Yep. Just like Lalo's years of selling Chinese watches as "Swiss," imagine dropping good coin on something you think is real, but isn't. And it ain't just the good stuff: I swear, I have seen fake Seiko, Philip Watch (!), and Movado watches right down the street from me at our local flea market.

Once again: Brick and mortar and ADs are so underrated.
"This particular blight on the hobby is a desperately lying, valor-stealing, TV watch-hoarding mumpsimus." ― Ancient Samurai Proverb
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » June 2nd 2019, 6:23pm

In my most recent trip to Korea I saw a very convincing fake Rolex with a quartz movement inside. It was hilarious!
artman
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 2nd 2019, 6:26pm

I'm sure that there are many fake Rolex owners who have no idea that they are wearing a fake Rolex.
Buying a Rolex on-line is inviting the crooks into your home and saying "take what you want"
foghorn

Postby TemerityB » June 3rd 2019, 5:40pm

foghorn wrote:I'm sure that there are many fake Rolex owners who have no idea that they are wearing a fake Rolex.
Buying a Rolex on-line is inviting the crooks into your home and saying "take what you want"

Bravo. Cripes, that's my credo about any watch over $500.
"This particular blight on the hobby is a desperately lying, valor-stealing, TV watch-hoarding mumpsimus." ― Ancient Samurai Proverb
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » June 4th 2019, 12:51am

I think most people who buy these know exactly what they are buying when they're a spending a grand or two on a Daytona or a Datejust; a good quality fake or a stolen watch.

The knockoff movements seem to indicate the counterfeiters are looking to expand their overall sucker / sleaze base of customers, however, the movement is still the best and final arbiter of the legit item, and while most folks wouldn't know a free balance from a balance beam, a guy at a hock shop or a watchmaker certainly would if they had to get that far in a $50 inspection to make a determination.

Anyone who believed they were buying the genuine item and would spend ANY MONEY, let alone upward of, if it's legit money, and not submit the watch for said inspection deserves whatever the fuck they get.

I'm sure there are people who have purchased these, and the historically varying degrees of worse, believing they were the real deal but I suspect it's a small percentage overall.

What would be nice would be if Rolex (and others) didn't have to spend so much overhead investigating and shutting these guys down- 3 D printers, CNC, what he noted at the link, etc etc etc, caveat emptor; never been more important to emptor in history.

Cool to be part of a board that provides plenty of emptor for the public
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Rolex & Tudor Forum