Grand Seiko brings us back to a simpler time

Grand Seiko brings us back to a simpler time

Postby Racer-X » August 11th 2018, 12:21am

"The 1960s were a beautiful time for watches. Horlogy was in its prime and the great names we know and love today – Rolex, Omega, Cartier – were just one of many watchmakers churning out commodity products to a world that needed to tell the time. Their watches – simple, elegant, and mechanically complex – were the ultimate in mechanical efficiency and design and no one did it quite as well as Seiko. This mechanical golden age ended in the late 1970s with the rise of the quartz watch but Seiko is resurrecting it with their Grand Seiko line of luxury pieces.

Grand Seiko is special for a few reasons. First, it’s Seiko’s haute horlogerie skunkworks, allowing the company to experiment with all the fancy materials and techniques that Swiss watchmakers have worked with for years. The watches are made of precious metals and feature Seiko Hi-Beat movements. These watches “vibrate” 36,000 times an hour or ten times a second. This means that the balance wheel inside the watch is moving back and forth far faster than, say, an Omega Co-Axial 8500/1 series which is clocked at 25,200 vibrations per hour. What this means in practice is that the seconds hand moves with an almost uncanny smoothness."

https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/08/10/grand-seiko-brings-us-back-to-a-simpler-time/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Grand Seiko brings us back to a simpler time

Postby conjurer » August 11th 2018, 7:42am

Purdy.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » August 11th 2018, 9:10am

Very nice. I like that Grand Seiko is diversifying and coming up with some really interesting looks. The new sporty models with sailcloth straps and colored accents and HAQ movement are very cool too.

They’re doing big things, no doubt helped by the massive surge in international recognition and sales the past 4 years.

Even casually browsing sites like The Rolex Forum, the guys there are crazy about GS and many own one as well. The biggest hurdle they’ve always had to overcome is Asian stigma, and fortunately that seems to be nothing more than a minority opinion these days. It’s impressive how they’ve overcome that, but the watches speak for themselves and there’s no way to maintain that position when you see and feel the quality for yourself. That’s why GS needs to keep expanding their boutiques and continue to offer brick and mortar options so the remaining skeptics can see one in person.

Grand Seiko is here to stay, and they’re forging their position at the top of the luxury watch market year after year.

Can’t wait to own another, to be honest.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » August 11th 2018, 9:29am

Wish I could get excited about GS, but no.
"Did you get me my Cheez Whiz, boy?"

The Blues Brothers
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » August 11th 2018, 9:35am

Falstaff wrote:Wish I could get excited about GS, but no.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby SynMike » August 11th 2018, 1:56pm

I like Grand Seiko, but not that one.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Return to Grand Seiko & Credor