Grand Seiko Spring Drive U.S.-Only Limited Editions

Grand Seiko Spring Drive U.S.-Only Limited Editions

Postby koimaster » June 7th 2018, 10:00am

As Seiko-watchers will be aware, Grand Seiko has increasingly become a distinct, and distinctive, entity; one of the most important developments at Grand Seiko was the decision, in 2017, to make Grand Seiko its own brand, rather than a sub-brand under the larger Seiko banner. The removal of the Seiko logo from the dials of Grand Seiko watches did away with what had always been a bit of redundancy (the dials no longer say "Seiko Grand Seiko" which fans of cleaner dials will applaud) and although the gesture was largely symbolic, it does say something about how Grand Seiko sees itself evolving in the years to come.

Grand Seiko has not, historically, been a brand whose reputation was driven by limited editions; instead, the natural scarcity of Grand Seiko in the USA lent Grand Seiko watches an organic exclusivity. However, in recent years, Grand Seiko limited editions have begun to appear, with unusual dials and in some instances, in precious metals – and at price points – which are something of a novelty for Grand Seiko in the U.S. market. At the Couture Time in Las Vegas (a luxury watch trade fair which is, like the SIHH, not open to the general public) we had a chance to see something quite interesting: the very first Grand Seiko limited editions that are U.S. exclusives. Not only are these the first U.S.-only limited editions from GS, they're also Spring Drive watches. The three models we were shown are late pre-production prototypes so some aspects of the watches remain to be finalized before they're officially launched later this year, but GS USA was kind enough to give us a first look at what's coming – in particular, the new dial designs that are the starring attraction of the new LEs.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-g ... d-editions

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Grand Seiko Spring Drive U.S.-Only Limited Editions

Postby conjurer » June 7th 2018, 10:04am

Those are pretty yummy.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » June 7th 2018, 4:38pm

Oh, my...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » June 7th 2018, 6:11pm

I'm very tempted to pick up the blue one
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 7th 2018, 9:18pm

iwasbanned wrote:I'm very tempted to pick up the blue one

Do it!!!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 8th 2018, 10:38am

As you might have gleaned from previous posts, I'm quite the admirer of GS and the Spring Drive ever since I was knee deep in them at last year's watch fair here. However ... I'm serious, that photo here looks like a $49 Lucien Piccard or something. I'd take the innards, but not the outtards, I guess.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » June 8th 2018, 12:12pm

You guys make sure we all know when this baby becomes available..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » June 8th 2018, 2:45pm

Less than 600 in steel due in in October. $6800 a pop. Juan if you want one let me know, the NY boutique will always give me any LEs.I'm
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » June 9th 2018, 3:24am

TemerityB wrote:As you might have gleaned from previous posts, I'm quite the admirer of GS and the Spring Drive ever since I was knee deep in them at last year's watch fair here. However ... I'm serious, that photo here looks like a $49 Lucien Piccard or something. I'd take the innards, but not the outtards, I guess.

I don't like the dials, either.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 9th 2018, 9:28am

3Flushes wrote:
TemerityB wrote:As you might have gleaned from previous posts, I'm quite the admirer of GS and the Spring Drive ever since I was knee deep in them at last year's watch fair here. However ... I'm serious, that photo here looks like a $49 Lucien Piccard or something. I'd take the innards, but not the outtards, I guess.

I don't like the dials, either.

The others aren't bad - the blue one looks like a box of Kleenex With LotionTM, at least from where I sit.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Grand Seiko & Credor